The Inbox: Tools-ael.394.mcz

Aran Lunzer-2
In a FileList there are some operations (such as 'install into new
change set' and 'fileIn entire file', both on a .st file) that can be
invoked from the file list, but on the contents pane lead to a
walkback.

The problem arises from the setup of the contents-pane menu in
FileList>>fileContentsMenu:shifted:, where menu items are connected to
ServiceEntry instances that have an invalid 'served' object.

The relevant bit of the old code is

                aMenu
                        addServices: services
                        for: self fullName
                        extraLines: extraLines

which looks like it should be

                aMenu
                        addServices: services
                        for: self
                        extraLines: extraLines

...because the served object (the fileList) will be asked its fullName
when the service is invoked.

Aran Lunzer
Viewpoints Research Institute

Re: The Inbox: Tools-ael.394.mcz

Frank Shearar-3
On 23 December 2011 08:42, Aran Lunzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a FileList there are some operations (such as 'install into new
> change set' and 'fileIn entire file', both on a .st file) that can be
> invoked from the file list, but on the contents pane lead to a
> walkback.
>
> The problem arises from the setup of the contents-pane menu in
> FileList>>fileContentsMenu:shifted:, where menu items are connected to
> ServiceEntry instances that have an invalid 'served' object.
>
> The relevant bit of the old code is
>
>                 aMenu
>                         addServices: services
>                         for: self fullName
>                         extraLines: extraLines
>
> which looks like it should be
>
>                 aMenu
>                         addServices: services
>                         for: self
>                         extraLines: extraLines
>
> ...because the served object (the fileList) will be asked its fullName
> when the service is invoked.

I just tried, in an updated trunk image, to "install into new change
set", and everything worked just fine. Is this fix still necessary?

frank

On 23 December 2011 08:32,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-ael.394.mcz

> Name: Tools-ael.394
> Author: ael
> Time: 23 December 2011, 12:31:56.191 am
> UUID: 2f669d9e-89f0-7449-9708-84937489b6d4
> Ancestors: Tools-laza.393
>
> fix to invocation of file-specific "services" from contents pane of a FileList
>
> =============== Diff against Tools-laza.393 ===============

In my hacking this afternoon I accidentally moved this version to the
Treated Inbox. Would a kind admin please move this back to the Inbox?

Thanks,

frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-ael.394.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
Done

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 23 December 2011 08:32,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-ael.394.mcz

>> Name: Tools-ael.394
>> Author: ael
>> Time: 23 December 2011, 12:31:56.191 am
>> UUID: 2f669d9e-89f0-7449-9708-84937489b6d4
>> Ancestors: Tools-laza.393
>>
>> fix to invocation of file-specific "services" from contents pane of a FileList
>>
>> =============== Diff against Tools-laza.393 ===============
>
> In my hacking this afternoon I accidentally moved this version to the
> Treated Inbox. Would a kind admin please move this back to the Inbox?
>
> Thanks,
>
> frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-ael.394.mcz

Aran Lunzer-2
Hi -

Frank Shearar wrote:

>> In a FileList there are some operations (such as 'install into new
>> change set' and 'fileIn entire file', both on a .st file) that can be
>> invoked from the file list, but on the contents pane lead to a
>> walkback.
>>
>> The problem arises from the setup of the contents-pane menu in
>> FileList>>fileContentsMenu:shifted:, where menu items are connected to
>> ServiceEntry instances that have an invalid 'served' object.
>>
>> The relevant bit of the old code is
>>
>>                 aMenu
>>                         addServices: services
>>                         for: self fullName
>>                         extraLines: extraLines
>>
>> which looks like it should be
>>
>>                 aMenu
>>                         addServices: services
>>                         for: self
>>                         extraLines: extraLines
>>
>> ...because the served object (the fileList) will be asked its fullName
>> when the service is invoked.
>
> I just tried, in an updated trunk image, to "install into new change
> set", and everything worked just fine. Is this fix still necessary?

For us the problem seems to be there just as before.  Note that the
error arises when invoking the operation from the code pane, not the
file-list pane.

All the best -

Aran

On 26 July 2012 00:01, Aran Lunzer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Frank Shearar wrote:
>>> In a FileList there are some operations (such as 'install into new
>>> change set' and 'fileIn entire file', both on a .st file) that can be
>>> invoked from the file list, but on the contents pane lead to a
>>> walkback.
>>>
>>> The problem arises from the setup of the contents-pane menu in
>>> FileList>>fileContentsMenu:shifted:, where menu items are connected to
>>> ServiceEntry instances that have an invalid 'served' object.
>>>
>>> The relevant bit of the old code is
>>>
>>>                 aMenu
>>>                         addServices: services
>>>                         for: self fullName
>>>                         extraLines: extraLines
>>>
>>> which looks like it should be
>>>
>>>                 aMenu
>>>                         addServices: services
>>>                         for: self
>>>                         extraLines: extraLines
>>>
>>> ...because the served object (the fileList) will be asked its fullName
>>> when the service is invoked.
>>
>> I just tried, in an updated trunk image, to "install into new change
>> set", and everything worked just fine. Is this fix still necessary?
>
> For us the problem seems to be there just as before.  Note that the
> error arises when invoking the operation from the code pane, not the
> file-list pane.

Ah, the _lower_ of the two panes. I will check the fix again later today.

Thanks for the update, and if Tools fixes aren't landing quick enough,
feel free to nag me!

frank

On 26 July 2012 07:51, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 July 2012 00:01, Aran Lunzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi -

>>> I just tried, in an updated trunk image, to "install into new change
>>> set", and everything worked just fine. Is this fix still necessary?
>>
>> For us the problem seems to be there just as before.  Note that the
>> error arises when invoking the operation from the code pane, not the
>> file-list pane.
>
> Ah, the _lower_ of the two panes. I will check the fix again later today.
>
> Thanks for the update, and if Tools fixes aren't landing quick enough,
> feel free to nag me!

OK, it's merged. I don't know if this has a Mantis report, Aran?

frank