The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
Hello to all,

I'm involved in a project which uses the Pier wiki. We hope that this
project will have mass appeal and involve many users. Unfortunately,
we've seen a problem with the edit box. If one pastes something from a
non-UTF-8 compatible world processor, it is rejected with an error
message reading, "Input is Invalid." Unfortunately, this is not a very
helpful error message, and it will make using the Pier wiki impossible
for those of us who aren't at least mid-level geeks. Would it be
possible to make some changes which would allow a more user-friendly
error message?

I see two possible ways to handle this.

1.) Replace the current message with a message that reads, "Your input
cannot be read because it is not UTF-8 compatible. Please set your
word-processor to produce UTF-8 compatible text and try pasting your
input again." Such an error message could even connect to Pier's help
system which could explain how to set various word-processors for UTF-8.
I'm not a Squeak programmer, but I'd be happy to write help text for the
word processing programs I own.

2.) The second is to devise a more forgiving edit window. Instead of
giving an error message and rejecting the input, it could accept the
input and replace characters it can't read with a question mark, or one
of those square boxes, then output an error message, something like:
"There was a problem reading your input because your word processor is
not set to UTF-8. Characters which could not be read have been replaced
with a "?". Please click here to continue." I think this is the better
of the two alternatives, though obviously it involves more programming time.

A more sophisticated version of the second solution could present users
with a small, pop-up edit box containing the text that is causing
problems. The users could then use their keyboards to make the
appropriate changes.

As things stand now, the edit box is very "user-unfriendly." I don't, of
course, insist that my solutions be used - it's entirely possible that a
better way exists than I imagine above - but the present situation will
make things very difficult for users who don't have serious computing
skills.

Alex

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Lukas Renggli
> I'm involved in a project which uses the Pier wiki.

If you talk about encodings you should mention the platform you are
using, the version of the platform, the server adaptor, the version of
Seaside, the version of Magritte and Pier.

Encoding problems show up from time to time, but usually they can be
solved by fixing the configuration you use.

> If one pastes something from a non-UTF-8
> compatible world processor, it is rejected with an error message reading,
> "Input is Invalid."

What kind of error message? A Magritte error within the page, a
Seaside error within a separate page, or even a debugger within the
image?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I'm involved in a project which uses the Pier wiki.
>>

> If you talk about encodings you should mention the platform you are
> using, the version of the platform, the server adaptor, the version of
> Seaside, the version of Magritte and Pier.
>
> Encoding problems show up from time to time, but usually they can be
> solved by fixing the configuration you use.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I'm not the admin for this
project, so I don't know the details. However, I'll let the systems
administrator know I posted, and hopefully he can give you these detais.

>> If one pastes something from a non-UTF-8
>> compatible world processor, it is rejected with an error message reading,
>> "Input is Invalid."
>>

> What kind of error message? A Magritte error within the page, a
> Seaside error within a separate page, or even a debugger within the
> image?

I'm not seeing a separate page, or anything that looks like a debugger.
The edit box turns pink, and I see the words, "Input is Invalid" above
the buttons on the edit box. As far as I'm concerned the important issue
is getting users an error message which enlightens and informs so they
can a minimal break in their work flow and wish to continue using the
product.

Thanks,

Alex

> Cheers,
> Lukas

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter, plus
the most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from Lukas, which
we updated may 14th."

The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input
given." I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be rejected
by the mailing list program.

Thanks,

Alex

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> I'm involved in a project which uses the Pier wiki.
>>

> If you talk about encodings you should mention the platform you are
> using, the version of the platform, the server adaptor, the version of
> Seaside, the version of Magritte and Pier.
>
> Encoding problems show up from time to time, but usually they can be
> solved by fixing the configuration you use.
>

>> If one pastes something from a non-UTF-8
>> compatible world processor, it is rejected with an error message reading,
>> "Input is Invalid."
>>

> What kind of error message? A Magritte error within the page, a
> Seaside error within a separate page, or even a debugger within the
> image?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Error_Message.png (65K) Download Attachment

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

stéphane ducasse-2
But on which version?
Because this is more tricky than that :)

On May 15, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston wrote:

> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter,
> plus the most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from
> Lukas, which we updated may 14th."
>
> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input
> given." I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be
> rejected by the mailing list program.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>

> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> I'm involved in a project which uses the Pier wiki.
>>>

>> If you talk about encodings you should mention the platform you are
>> using, the version of the platform, the server adaptor, the version
>> of
>> Seaside, the version of Magritte and Pier.
>>
>> Encoding problems show up from time to time, but usually they can be
>> solved by fixing the configuration you use.
>>

>>> If one pastes something from a non-UTF-8
>>> compatible world processor, it is rejected with an error message
>>> reading,
>>> "Input is Invalid."
>>>

>> What kind of error message? A Magritte error within the page, a
>> Seaside error within a separate page, or even a debugger within the
>> image?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas
>>

> <Error_Message.png>_______________________________________________
> Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Tudor Girba-3
Hi,

The message is due to the Magritte validation checks of the form.

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 May 2009, at 08:45, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> But on which version?
> Because this is more tricky than that :)
>
> On May 15, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston wrote:
>
>> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter,
>> plus the most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from
>> Lukas, which we updated may 14th."
>>
>> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input
>> given." I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be
>> rejected by the mailing list program.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex

>>> If you talk about encodings you should mention the platform you are
>>> using, the version of the platform, the server adaptor, the
>>> version of
>>> Seaside, the version of Magritte and Pier.
>>>
>>> Encoding problems show up from time to time, but usually they can be
>>> solved by fixing the configuration you use.

>>> What kind of error message? A Magritte error within the page, a
>>> Seaside error within a separate page, or even a debugger within the
>>> image?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lukas
>>>

>> <Error_Message.png>_______________________________________________
>> Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...

www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair, you will
end up with a messy haircut."

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter, plus the
> most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from Lukas, which we
> updated may 14th."

Ok, I guess you are on Squeak/Pharo then.

> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input given."
> I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be rejected by the
> mailing list program.

Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of Magritte.
You can easily change the error message by adding a method like this:

PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
  ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'

To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how to
reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
this is the offender?) that I can copy from?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
Thank you Tudor. Does that mean that Magritte should be changed, or that
Pier should be changed? Is Pier simply passing on the error message from
Magritte?

Alex

Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The message is due to the Magritte validation checks of the form.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 16 May 2009, at 08:45, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> But on which version?
>> Because this is more tricky than that :)
>>
>> On May 15, 2009, at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston wrote:
>>
>>> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter,
>>> plus the most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from
>>> Lukas, which we updated may 14th."
>>>
>>> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input
>>> given." I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be
>>> rejected by the mailing list program.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Alex

>>> <Error_Message.png>_______________________________________________
>>> Magritte, Pier and Related Tools ...

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair, you will
> end up with a messy haircut."

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
Hi Lukas,

Thank you very much for your interest in this problem. I have attached
two sample documents, both are .doc files generated by Open Office 2.4.
I generated the error by simply copying and pasting the contents of the
documents into Pier's edit box. (I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu Linux.)

Sample_One does not work, while Sample_Two works just fine, and the only
thing I did in Sample_Two was delete the long dash between the words
"conclusion" and "whatever" and replace it with a period. So Magritte is
not generating errors based on the encoding of the whole message, it's
responding to specific characters (which I assume it can't read.)

Thus my suggestion that the problem be solved by simply replacing those
characters with a question mark or a box, plus perhaps a message to the
user.

As to your suggestion that I add some code... I'd love to, but you could
put everything I know about Squeak in a thimble and have room left over.
(I plan to work on Squeak in my spare moments, but it will be many
months before I'm ready to contribute to a sophisticated project.) But
I'll happily submit additions to the documentation as appropriate, and
supply you with a continuing stream of bug reports as our development
goes forward.

Thanks,

Alex

Sample_One.doc (140K) Download Attachment
Sample_Two.doc (140K) Download Attachment

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
Hi Lukas

My samples and response to your post are in the moderation queue -
apparently they're too big. Sorry about that. I will send them directly
to your email.

Thanks,

Alex

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter, plus the
>> most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from Lukas, which we
>> updated may 14th."
>>

> Ok, I guess you are on Squeak/Pharo then.
>

>> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input given."
>> I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be rejected by the
>> mailing list program.
>>

> Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of Magritte.
> You can easily change the error message by adding a method like this:
>
> PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
>   ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
> input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'
>
> To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
> more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how to
> reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
> this is the offender?) that I can copy from?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
Hi Lukas,

Thank you very much for your interest in this problem. I have sent two
sample documents to your regular email address as they are too big for
the mailing list. Both are .doc files generated by Open Office 2.4.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter, plus the
>> most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from Lukas, which we
>> updated may 14th."
>>

> Ok, I guess you are on Squeak/Pharo then.
>

>> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input given."
>> I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be rejected by the
>> mailing list program.
>>

> Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of Magritte.
> You can easily change the error message by adding a method like this:
>
> PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
>   ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
> input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'
>
> To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
> more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how to
> reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
> this is the offender?) that I can copy from?
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Tudor Girba-3
Hi Alex,

Is your application publicly accessible? If yes, we would be
interested in adding a link to it from:
http://www.piercms.com/doc/examples

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 May 2009, at 18:14, Alex Roston wrote:

> [...]
>>

>>> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid
>>> input given."
>>> I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be rejected
>>> by the
>>> mailing list program.
>>>

>> Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of
>> Magritte.
>> You can easily change the error message by adding a method like this:
>>
>> PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
>>  ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
>> input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'
>>
>> To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
>> more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how to
>> reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
>> this is the offender?) that I can copy from?

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every now and then stop and ask yourself if the war you're fighting
is the right one."

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Lukas Renggli
Thanks for sending the sample documents.

I tried to reproduce with all of the following 36 possible combinations:

- Pier 1.1.1 on Mac / latest Pier on Mac / Pier 1.1.1 on Linux
- WAKom / WAKomEncoded
- Safari 3 on Mac / IE 6 on Windows / FireFox 3 on Ubuntu Linux
- Microsoft Word 2008 on Mac / Open Office 2.4 on Ubuntu Linux

I cannot reproduce the problem.

Maybe you can try to temporarily replace
MAContainerComponent>>validate to see if there is something strange
going on with exceptions ...

MAContainerComponent>>validate
        self withContainersDo: [ :each | each doValidate ].
        ^ errors isEmpty

Cheers,
Lukas

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Alex Roston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lukas,
>
> Thank you very much for your interest in this problem. I have sent two
> sample documents to your regular email address as they are too big for the
> mailing list. Both are .doc files generated by Open Office 2.4.
> I generated the error by simply copying and pasting the contents of the
> documents into Pier's edit box. (I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu Linux.)
>
> Sample_One does not work, while Sample_Two works just fine, and the only
> thing I did in Sample_Two was delete the long dash between the words
> "conclusion" and "whatever" and replace it with a period. So Magritte is
> not generating errors based on the encoding of the whole message, it's
> responding to specific characters (which I assume it can't read.)
>
> Thus my suggestion that the problem be solved by simply replacing those
> characters with a question mark or a box, plus perhaps a message to the
> user.
>
> As to your suggestion that I add some code... I'd love to, but you could
> put everything I know about Squeak in a thimble and have room left over.
> (I plan to work on Squeak in my spare moments, but it will be many
> months before I'm ready to contribute to a sophisticated project.) But
> I'll happily submit additions to the documentation as appropriate, and
> supply you with a continuing stream of bug reports as our development
> goes forward.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>

> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM, Alex Roston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> According to our sysadmin, "we're using the Wakom server adapter, plus
>>> the
>>> most recent version of Magritte, Seaside, and Pier from Lukas, which we
>>> updated may 14th."
>>>

>> Ok, I guess you are on Squeak/Pharo then.
>>

>>> The exact error message we're seeing read, "Contents: Invalid input
>>> given."
>>> I have included a screen shot, which I hope will not be rejected by the
>>> mailing list program.
>>>

>> Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of Magritte.
>> You can easily change the error message by adding a method like this:
>>
>> PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
>>  ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
>> input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'
>>
>> To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
>> more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how to
>> reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
>> this is the offender?) that I can copy from?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: The "Input is Invalid" Error

Alex Roston
Hi Lukas,

I assume you used the Sample_One document as I explained. I'll check in
with my sysadmin and see what he has to say.

Thanks for your effort nonetheless. It is appreciated despite the lack
of results.

Alex

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> [...]
>> supply you with a continuing stream of bug reports as our development
>> goes forward.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> Ok, I guess you are on Squeak/Pharo then.

>>> Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of Magritte.
>>> You can easily change the error message by adding a method like this:
>>>
>>> PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
>>>  ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
>>> input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'
>>>
>>> To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
>>> more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how to
>>> reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
>>> this is the offender?) that I can copy from?

I would suggest that people should send you exact information of the
problem
else this is insane to try in the dark.

On May 16, 2009, at 7:02 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> [...]
>> goes forward.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>> Ok, I guess you are on Squeak/Pharo then.

>>> Ok, that doesn't look too bad. This is a validation check of
>>> Magritte.
>>> You can easily change the error message by adding a method like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> PRCase class>>descriptionDocumentYourPackage: aDescription
>>>  ^ aDescription kindErrorMessage: 'There was a problem reading your
>>> input because your word processor is not set to UTF-8.'
>>>
>>> To be able to investigate the real cause of the problem I need some
>>> more information. Could you send step by step introductions on how
>>> reproduce the problem. Maybe together with a Word document (I assume
>>> this is the offender?) that I can copy from?

I have sent a login, password, and URL to your private email address, so
you can examine the exact Pier installation with which we are having
troubles.

Thanks,

Alex