The Second Coming of Java article

123

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Marcus Denker-4

On 26 Nov 2013, at 11:41, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Anything preventing Pharo and VisualWorks for using the technology also?
>>>
>> Short answer: Time and money.
>> The way we did it requires significant changes to the virtual machine
>> (as we believe this is the only way to get a decent performance). Indeed, if
>> somebody going to pay for it, everything's possible ;-)
>
> You should try to ask ESUG about financial support.

I do not think that he talks about this kind of money. But MONEY.

        Marcus

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

philippeback
I downloaded ST/X this morning and looked around for a couple hours.

Impressive system. And impressive clients list/activities etc.
<rant>
And wow, Claus is yet another individual with top notch computer chops... Seems that this community has the highest density of high perf brains. I feel humbled indeed.
</rant>

What struck me was the speed.

Pharo really needs a huge speedup on the UI front. I am using a top of the line desktop system and still Pharo sometimes feels slow (some is due to algorithms - like the finder tool taking ages for a lot of things, but some is due to the UI system).

This is not linked to the VM, as the MVC projects in Squeak are uber fast.

Is the Text rewrite going to have an impact on this?

On the front of interoperability, I personally have chosen to go the RabbitMQ route, it allows me to wire all kinds of things together with some room for scale.

On the Java front itself, in the TCL community, we do have tclbend and also a package to do the same thing as STX:LIBJAVA. Truth be told, there hasn't been much traction in there. It works fine but that's it. http://www2.tcl.tk/1313 - usage sample http://www2.tcl.tk/14919
It also has fell behind in terms of keeping up with the latest versions of the environment.

In PHP, there is the Quercus and Caucho Resin Server that allows to run PHP on top of the JVM and invoke Java from there. Some people run very fast stuff on that, and benefiting from all JEE abilities (JMS, JTA, Clustering, JAAS...) is really nice.  http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.1/doc/quercus.xtp

Phil

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Jan Vrany <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26/11/13 10:40, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Jan Vrany <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 26/11/13 03:28, askoh wrote:

Bravo Jan and your collaborators. You have done it.

Thanks.

Anything preventing STX:LIBJAVA from being used in production
environments?

Good question. STX:LIBJAVA is still a research phase. However, if everything
goes fine, we might have first project using it for real
in couple months.

What is important is also the licence. Do you use an open-source licence ?

Strictly speaking - no. For various, historical reasons.

The Smalltalk part STX:LIBJAVA support code is available under
the same terms as Smalltalk/X itself [1].

The code of the VM is not publicly available for various reasons,
though it is possible to get an access. Ask Claus Gittinger if
you're interested in details.

Anything preventing Pharo and VisualWorks for using the technology also?

Short answer: Time and money.
The way we did it requires significant changes to the virtual machine
(as we believe this is the only way to get a decent performance). Indeed, if
somebody going to pay for it, everything's possible ;-)

You should try to ask ESUG about financial support.

Maybe I should. But frankly - how many people in this community are like "That would be great, I need this feature!" Raise hands. :-)

Cheers, Jan

[1] http://www.exept.de/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/stx/README?view=markup

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

SergeStinckwich
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Short answer: Time and money.
>>> The way we did it requires significant changes to the virtual machine
>>> (as we believe this is the only way to get a decent performance). Indeed, if
>>> somebody going to pay for it, everything's possible ;-)
>>
>> You should try to ask ESUG about financial support.
>>

> I do not think that he talks about this kind of money. But MONEY.

Ok I understand ;-) BIG MONEY

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Clément Béra
To have Java running on top of Pharo (which means on top of Cog), you would need to have as they did in STX, a JIT compatible with java bytecode, an interpreter for java bytecode, runtime objects such as JavaContext, ... It is at least 1 year of work for an expert in virtual machines (I think there's mainly 1 expert in the Cog VM but there are several on java VM). Therefore this project requires several hundred thousands dollars (considering you can find a virtual machine expert willing to do it). A bit too much for ESUG in my opinion.

2013/11/26 Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>

>>> Short answer: Time and money.
>>> The way we did it requires significant changes to the virtual machine
>>> (as we believe this is the only way to get a decent performance). Indeed, if
>>> somebody going to pay for it, everything's possible ;-)
>>
>> You should try to ask ESUG about financial support.
>>

> I do not think that he talks about this kind of money. But MONEY.

Ok I understand ;-) BIG MONEY

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Guido Chari
Here is the video of his Smalltalk 2013 talk for the ones interested:

2013/11/26 Clément Bera <[hidden email]>
To have Java running on top of Pharo (which means on top of Cog), you would need to have as they did in STX, a JIT compatible with java bytecode, an interpreter for java bytecode, runtime objects such as JavaContext, ... It is at least 1 year of work for an expert in virtual machines (I think there's mainly 1 expert in the Cog VM but there are several on java VM). Therefore this project requires several hundred thousands dollars (considering you can find a virtual machine expert willing to do it). A bit too much for ESUG in my opinion.

2013/11/26 Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>

>>> Short answer: Time and money.
>>> The way we did it requires significant changes to the virtual machine
>>> (as we believe this is the only way to get a decent performance). Indeed, if
>>> somebody going to pay for it, everything's possible ;-)
>>
>> You should try to ask ESUG about financial support.
>>

> I do not think that he talks about this kind of money. But MONEY.

Ok I understand ;-) BIG MONEY

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Esteban A. Maringolo
2013/11/26 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> Pharo really needs a huge speedup on the UI front. I am using a top of the
> line desktop system and still Pharo sometimes feels slow (some is due to
> algorithms - like the finder tool taking ages for a lot of things, but some
> is due to the UI system).
>
> This is not linked to the VM, as the MVC projects in Squeak are uber fast.
>
> Is the Text rewrite going to have an impact on this?

It doesn't feel slow, it is slow. Perfectly usable, though. I even
feel it was faster before.

But I think the problem comes from the "rendering" side, and not
because of "not UI" operations running in the main thread.

Regards,

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Yes but need people to try.
This was on my todo for a topics for students.

On Nov 25, 2013, at 11:14 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Speaking of which, I'd love to have a go at targeting Emscripten

We can do this by using llvm-gcc producing bitcode.

It may not be too hard to compile things, of course, the next challenge is with all the display and I/O.

But if they can do Unreal3, MESS emulators, and Commodore Emulators, we should be able to do a PharoVM.

Phil

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, do I want to have Pharo running on Java? My answer was ‘yes’ a couple of years before. Today, I want to have Pharo (or at least most of it) running in a web browser.

Distributing applications to clients is then so easy...

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Nov 26, 2013, at 1:21 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

I downloaded ST/X this morning and looked around for a couple hours.

Impressive system. And impressive clients list/activities etc.
<rant>
And wow, Claus is yet another individual with top notch computer chops... Seems that this community has the highest density of high perf brains. I feel humbled indeed.
</rant>

What struck me was the speed.

15 years of working improving the VM pays off.
This is why the work of Eliot on Spur are also important. What is also important is that more people can work on the VM
for cleaning it so that we get a documented and good vehicule.
And this will take time. We are working on a prototype to get forced to think about VM and learn. But this prototype will
not replace Cog in the near future. So we should be happy that cog is there and improving.

Stef

On 26/11/13 03:28, askoh wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I'd love to have a working Pharo bytecode interpreter that works. VMMaker currently doesn't have one it seems (earlier experiments didn't worked for me).

I am very interested with the VM, read the blue book, understand the primitives, can somewhat read bytecode but what is needed now is the ability to run/debug a VM inside Pharo itself. GDB'ing is okay but a pain in the ass to understand what's going on.

Also read the Tour of the OE of Tim Rowledge and Porting the VM etc.

Also looked at the VMMaker package (Interpreter and Object Memory) + Slang.

Now, getting an working interpreter would help me reach the next step. I am not talking about the Stack interpreter, but the plain Interpreter.

Any plans?

Phil

---
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

On 26/11/13 03:28, askoh wrote:

[...]

I also noticed that Sean does a replacement of the small size fonts with large size fonts in a specific way to speed up rendering of larger font (In his Configuration that does Preferences). I've got eyesight issues, so I am also using larger fonts. That doesn't help with speed indeed.

But the Paragraph rendering code is also a culprit I think, as it endlessly recreates objects all the time.

Morphs with step methods and a short stepping time are pretty fast. I've a educational game on the iPad that uses this and it is pretty nice in terms of rendering speed (dragging and dropping formula pieces around).

---

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
2013/11/26 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> Pharo really needs a huge speedup on the UI front. I am using a top of the
> line desktop system and still Pharo sometimes feels slow (some is due to
> algorithms - like the finder tool taking ages for a lot of things, but some
> is due to the UI system).
>
> This is not linked to the VM, as the MVC projects in Squeak are uber fast.
>
> Is the Text rewrite going to have an impact on this?

It doesn't feel slow, it is slow. Perfectly usable, though. I even
feel it was faster before.

But I think the problem comes from the "rendering" side, and not
because of "not UI" operations running in the main thread.

Regards,

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Stéphane Ducasse

On Nov 26, 2013, at 9:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

I also noticed that Sean does a replacement of the small size fonts with large size fonts in a specific way to speed up rendering of larger font (In his Configuration that does Preferences). I've got eyesight issues, so I am also using larger fonts. That doesn't help with speed indeed.

But the Paragraph rendering code is also a culprit I think, as it endlessly recreates objects all the time.

Igor was working on a new textEditor but he is down energy since a month. So we will see what will happen.
Sadly he was working well with fernando.
We will see if we can help him getting back to energy.

Stef

Morphs with step methods and a short stepping time are pretty fast. I've a educational game on the iPad that uses this and it is pretty nice in terms of rendering speed (dragging and dropping formula pieces around).

---
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
2013/11/26 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> Pharo really needs a huge speedup on the UI front. I am using a top of the
> line desktop system and still Pharo sometimes feels slow (some is due to
> algorithms - like the finder tool taking ages for a lot of things, but some
> is due to the UI system).
>
> This is not linked to the VM, as the MVC projects in Squeak are uber fast.
>
> Is the Text rewrite going to have an impact on this?

It doesn't feel slow, it is slow. Perfectly usable, though. I even
feel it was faster before.

But I think the problem comes from the "rendering" side, and not
because of "not UI" operations running in the main thread.

Regards,

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Eliot Miranda-2

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, I'd love to have a working Pharo bytecode interpreter that works. VMMaker currently doesn't have one it seems (earlier experiments didn't worked for me).

I am very interested with the VM, read the blue book, understand the primitives, can somewhat read bytecode but what is needed now is the ability to run/debug a VM inside Pharo itself. GDB'ing is okay but a pain in the ass to understand what's going on.

Also read the Tour of the OE of Tim Rowledge and Porting the VM etc.

Also looked at the VMMaker package (Interpreter and Object Memory) + Slang.

Now, getting an working interpreter would help me reach the next step. I am not talking about the Stack interpreter, but the plain Interpreter.

Any plans?

David Lewis and I want to see the Cog branch and the VMMaker proper merged and I definitely want the standard Interpreter to be married to Spur.  But I have no cycles to do this, and I don't think David has many either.  Volunteers welcome.

Phil

---
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: <a href="tel:%2B32%280%29%20478%20650%20140" value="+32478650140" target="_blank">+32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: <a href="tel:%2B32%20%280%29%2070%20408%20027" value="+3270408027" target="_blank">+32 (0) 70 408 027

best,
Eliot

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

philippeback
That's the issue with such an immense amount of work to do and brainpower to use.

Lots of rest, getting away from everything for while definitely helps. Just an advice from the burned-out anonymous...

Phil

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2013, at 9:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

I also noticed that Sean does a replacement of the small size fonts with large size fonts in a specific way to speed up rendering of larger font (In his Configuration that does Preferences). I've got eyesight issues, so I am also using larger fonts. That doesn't help with speed indeed.

But the Paragraph rendering code is also a culprit I think, as it endlessly recreates objects all the time.

Igor was working on a new textEditor but he is down energy since a month. So we will see what will happen.
Sadly he was working well with fernando.
We will see if we can help him getting back to energy.

Stef

Morphs with step methods and a short stepping time are pretty fast. I've a educational game on the iPad that uses this and it is pretty nice in terms of rendering speed (dragging and dropping formula pieces around).

---
Philippe Back
Dramatic Performance Improvements
Mob: <a href="tel:%2B32%280%29%20478%20650%20140" value="+32478650140" target="_blank">+32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: <a href="tel:%2B32%20%280%29%2070%20408%20027" value="+3270408027" target="_blank">+32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
2013/11/26 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> Pharo really needs a huge speedup on the UI front. I am using a top of the
> line desktop system and still Pharo sometimes feels slow (some is due to
> algorithms - like the finder tool taking ages for a lot of things, but some
> is due to the UI system).
>
> This is not linked to the VM, as the MVC projects in Squeak are uber fast.
>
> Is the Text rewrite going to have an impact on this?

It doesn't feel slow, it is slow. Perfectly usable, though. I even
feel it was faster before.

But I think the problem comes from the "rendering" side, and not
because of "not UI" operations running in the main thread.

Regards,

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

askoh
Administrator
Jan:

Can you give us a bit of history of STX:LIBJAVA? Even if it was just for fun what was the rational? What killer app might there be? What business models are there to pursue? How much effort was used and who funded your group? Can you debug Java like all the power of Smalltalk debugger? Congratulations again.

How about an easier name like StJ? or SXJ?

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, I'd love to have a working Pharo bytecode interpreter that works. VMMaker currently doesn't have one it seems (earlier experiments didn't worked for me).

I am very interested with the VM, read the blue book,

I been writing a lot about that, at least as much as I could.

understand the primitives,

can somewhat read bytecode

but what is needed now is the ability to run/debug a VM inside Pharo itself.

Yes, the simulator does not run these days.

GDB'ing is okay but a pain in the ass to understand what's going on.

Ok, for debugging the VM with gdb I have: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/tag/gdb/

Also read the Tour of the OE of Tim Rowledge and Porting the VM etc.

Also looked at the VMMaker package (Interpreter and Object Memory) + Slang.

Now, getting an working interpreter would help me reach the next step. I am not talking about the Stack interpreter, but the plain Interpreter.

If you want to learn, besides all those mentioned books, you can start with http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/journey-through-the-vm/
that is a sequence of a lots of posts related to the VM.

Cheers,

Any plans?

Phil

---

Mariano

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, I'd love to have a working Pharo bytecode interpreter that works. VMMaker currently doesn't have one it seems (earlier experiments didn't worked for me).

I am very interested with the VM, read the blue book,

I been writing a lot about that, at least as much as I could.

understand the primitives,

can somewhat read bytecode

but what is needed now is the ability to run/debug a VM inside Pharo itself.

Yes, the simulator does not run these days.

That's simply not true.  I use the simulator *every day*.  It is vital for the development of Spur.  Starting it up these days is as simple as

(| vm |
vm := StackInterpreterSimulator newWithOptions: #().
vm openOn: '/Users/eliot/Cog/startreader.image'.
vm openAsMorph; run)

something slightly more complex would be

(| vm |
vm := CogVMSimulator newWithOptions: #(ObjectMemory Spur32BitCoMemoryManager
Cogit StackToRegisterMappingCogit).
vm desiredNumStackPages: 8.
vm objectMemory setCheckForLeaks: 1.
vm openOn: '/Users/eliot/Cog/spurreader.image'.
vm openAsMorph; toggleTranscript; halt; run)

See the class comments in StackInterpreterSimulator and CogVMSimulator.

On 26/11/13 03:28, askoh wrote:

[...]

best,
Eliot

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 01:30:40PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I'd love to have a working Pharo bytecode interpreter that works.
> > VMMaker currently doesn't have one it seems (earlier experiments didn't
> > worked for me).
> >
> > I am very interested with the VM, read the blue book, understand the
> > primitives, can somewhat read bytecode but what is needed now is the
> > ability to run/debug a VM inside Pharo itself. GDB'ing is okay but a pain
> > in the ass to understand what's going on.
> >
> > Also read the Tour of the OE of Tim Rowledge and Porting the VM etc.
> >
> > Also looked at the VMMaker package (Interpreter and Object Memory) + Slang.
> >
> > Now, getting an working interpreter would help me reach the next step. I
> > am not talking about the Stack interpreter, but the plain Interpreter.
> >
> > Any plans?
> >

> David Lewis and I want to see the Cog branch and the VMMaker proper merged
> and I definitely want the standard Interpreter to be married to Spur.  But
> I have no cycles to do this, and I don't think David has many either.
>  Volunteers welcome.

Fully agree :-)

With respect to the interpreter simulator, the simulators tend to get
bit rotted when not used, but I think that overall they are in reasonable
shape.  Granted that we currently have to fumble around with multiple code
bases, but it's fair to say that if you want to run a Cog/StackInterpreter/Spur
simulator, you can use the appropriate classes in the oscog branch (after
all, that is what Eliot is using for his active development, and it's quite
unlikely that he could do this without a working simulator). And if you
want to run an image using the classic interpreter, you should use the
interpreter simulator in the "trunk" VMMaker branch.

I realize this may be a bit confusing, but as Eliot says there are only
so may free cycles available, so if someone wants to help ...

I just tried loading an image into the ("trunk") InterpreterSimulator
and found a problem in loading an image that had been saved from Cog.
This would be a problem if you wanted to load a Pharo image into the
InterpreterSimulator to try running bytecodes using a simple interpreter.
The fix is in VMMaker-dtl.330 in the source.squeak.org/VMMaker repository.
Hopefully it works for you now, please give it a try.

Dave

Re: The Second Coming of Java article

philippeback
Thanks. I've read the all.
Especially when I wanted to get the iPad version running and customized some things in there and ran into CMake bugs at the time.

Thanks for writing them, they helped!
Phil

On 26/11/13 03:28, askoh wrote:

[...]

Hi Dave, Eliot,

Dave,

Yes, that is the problem I was running into. I'll check that out. I could get a bit further by hacking some version numbers if I remember well but then got stuck again. I do not remember why exactly. It felt a bit like crossing the desert with a single bottle of water :-)

Eliot,

Thanks for the pointers.

Maybe would it be great to have a Google Hangout or two with the people doing the VM work (you both, Clement, Esteban, ...) and go through what matters in the process of dealing with the simulators.

Phil