classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Smalltalk Renaissance Program

horrido
On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 09:03:39 UTC-5, Richard Eng wrote:
  • It galvanizes the Smalltalk community to contribute information and answer developers' concerns about Smalltalk in the form of essays at our website.
  • It knits together a web of social media into a single, recognizable brand.
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
LinkedIn
Tumblr
Medium
Reddit
Hacker News

And whatever else I can think of in the coming months.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hi Richard,

I aggree with you and I had several dicussions with vendors over the past years on this.

From my experience I can only tell you that,...

.... it is merely impossible to keep all these platforms in sync if you do not have a tool support for that. And I assume you want to be in-synch on all of these because currently we are not. And Smalltalk does not benefit from that.

.... when ever I attend a tech nerds, developers, teachers/professors meeting everybody has heard about Smalltalk and would love to finally see it or get his hands on it. And still they don't because they have no idea how...

.... eventhough you can already google Smalltalk, I still have customers that didn't even know that their dialect ist still maintained by a vendor...

.... I do not know a single person that would register on a whole list of platfroms like the ones you mentioned and try to keep up with the updates, or even try to contribute on all of these platforms.

.... Scratch on Raspberry PI is vastly used and accepted by 1.5 million children on a daily base. They are all under 14 years and not allowed to register on any social platform or even own a smart phone... but they do read journals available for RaspberryPI and they find a Scratch button the the desktop of a virgin install.

.... TV radio and printed media are under valued and Smalltalk should be present there, too. You can decide on which link on a website to follow, but you can't decide which journals page to turn.... everybody will try the next one first... decisen makers do not activly register on a certain site to get information without purpose,... they stumble over information,... so do their consultants.

.... I feel extreemly awkward to loginto Google+ and the first connection offered to me is James Robertson,... whoe recently passed away. I also have a hard time to point Smalltakl interested developers to his tutorial site. I hope somebody will take his work over and provide vital support for questions.

I would start to collect the current available resources, discuss which to promote and use in the future and then promote these on the sites you mentioned.
The only really working Smalltalk information site that worked for me since 15 years is:
planet.smalltalk.org
Maybe you want to invest into a mechanism to allow upteds from all your suggested resources onto there.

Sebastian

Am 07.01.2015 um 06:23 schrieb Richard Eng:
On Wednesday, 7 January 2015 09:03:39 UTC-5, Richard Eng wrote:
  • It galvanizes the Smalltalk community to contribute information and answer developers' concerns about Smalltalk in the form of essays at our website.
WordPress
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
LinkedIn
Tumblr
Medium
Reddit
Hacker News

And whatever else I can think of in the coming months.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "amber-lang" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].

--
Reply | Threaded
|

sebastianconcept
In reply to this post by horrido

On Jan 7, 2015, at 12:03 PM, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

Precisely! Absolutely correct! That's why I cannot do this alone. The SRP campaign is about you, the Smalltalk community. Without you, there is no campaign.

The traditional grassroots efforts to promote Smalltalk in the past have been a dismal failure, as I already explained previously. Therefore, I am trying something new and different.

The campaign has several elements to it:
  • It galvanizes the Smalltalk community to contribute information and answer developers' concerns about Smalltalk in the form of essays at our website.
  • I shall promote this brand in the IT press by submitting articles hailing the renaissance of Smalltalk as "the future of software development created 40 years in the past."
  • I shall seek corporate sponsorship from a large and widely recognizable technology company.
  • With this sponsorship, I shall endeavour to push Smalltalk instruction into elementary schools and secondary schools.
  • Money from sponsorship can be used to fund development projects that shore up Smalltalk's current weaknesses vis-a-vis the enterprise. (Open source volunteerism is simply too slow.) 
Okay Richard now is the time where you take  all those bullets and make a poster to the guys that are organizing a meetup in France.

Your PR campain is as important as a framework and could have impact if the execution does its job.

I have some experience with design, if you want  a review let me know.

Suggestion
1. make the call to action to be on the subjects you wanted essays written and 
2. offer people that thinks did interesting stuff in smalltalk to be interviewed 
3. add a url or point to an email where they should send essays so it makes it easy for them to take action <- don’t make that hard or implicit!

--