The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

12

The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...

http://smalltalkrenaissance.wordpress.com/

It would be presumptuous of me to try and sign up supporters for the program. I mean, who the hell am I?!

At any rate, such a campaign is a lot of work, maybe too much. And the odds are really against it.

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

sebastianconcept
I see a lot of value in what you are doing Richard!

Here are some of my personal efforts on that line:

Startups and Smalltak - Presented at Smalltalks2014 Córdoba, Argentina

Flow: A living full-stack framework for the web

I think I could help you with some posts covering different topics

BTW I totally agree on productivity the only remark that I do have there to share (maybe in one of those posts that could have a reflective tone) is that (a) world is catching up and (b) the UX of our tool still suck. And we can do absolutely nothing about a.

On Dec 22, 2014, at 10:45 PM, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...

It would be presumptuous of me to try and sign up supporters for the program. I mean, who the hell am I?!

At any rate, such a campaign is a lot of work, maybe too much. And the odds are really against it.

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Richard Eng-2 wrote
I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...
Said no successful pioneer ever ;) We're all thinking it, and the more of us who shout from the rooftops, the more likely it will be to become reality. Go for it!

One small formatting suggestion: change the bulleted list of commercial implementations to a sentence with commas. Visually, the eyes are drawn to the list. I was skimming the page and thought, "why is a post to the Amber list recommending only commercial Smalltalks?" Of course I investigated further and understood your intention, but the new recruits who will be the key to the revitalization may not!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

kilon.alios
Very nice effort and beautiful website but I dont like this in your FAQ

"“Source code in files. How quaint.”
Kent Beck"

If there is one thing that can get in my nerves is elitism. I dont like this kind of attitude.

If I was newcomer to smalltalk I would be less interested in the philosophical mabo jambo of why I should be using Smalltalk and more on the practical side of why I should be using smalltalk. That means presentations of libraries , nice introductions to smalltalk tools etc.

As you said correctly this is not a one man effort and I think we all do our part in our own small way.

I agree with you that Smalltalk goes through a rebirth phase that shows a lot of promise and definetly amber and pharo are the best examples for open source. So in the end however small your effort is still going to benefit the community. As my father says "pebble my pebble you build your own castle "

What you mean by supporters for the program ?

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 2:45 AM, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...

It would be presumptuous of me to try and sign up supporters for the program. I mean, who the hell am I?!

At any rate, such a campaign is a lot of work, maybe too much. And the odds are really against it.

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
Done. Thanks.

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 08:41:19 UTC-5, Sean DeNigris wrote:
Richard Eng-2 wrote
> I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...

Said no successful pioneer ever ;) We're all thinking it, and the more of us
who shout from the rooftops, the more likely it will be to become reality.
Go for it!

One small formatting suggestion: change the bulleted list of commercial
implementations to a sentence with commas. Visually, the eyes are drawn to
the list. I was skimming the page and thought, "why is a post to the Amber
list recommending only commercial Smalltalks?" Of course I investigated
further and understood your intention, but the new recruits who will be the
key to the revitalization may not!

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: <a href="http://forum.world.st/The-Smalltalk-Revitalization-Program-tp4796726p4796782.html" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FThe-Smalltalk-Revitalization-Program-tp4796726p4796782.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHPV_vy7KmPzZ-2FItODEe4xDSP3g';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fforum.world.st%2FThe-Smalltalk-Revitalization-Program-tp4796726p4796782.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHPV_vy7KmPzZ-2FItODEe4xDSP3g';return true;">http://forum.world.st/The-Smalltalk-Revitalization-Program-tp4796726p4796782.html
Sent from the Amber Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
Along this line, I am currently working on an Amber tutorial article at Medium.com, my favourite publishing website. In fact, it's similar to another tutorial article I wrote for Golang and the Beego web framework: https://medium.com/@richardeng/a-word-from-the-beegoist-d562ff8589d7

(My entire portfolio at Medium.com is here, if anyone is interested. In particular, note the articles on Go web frameworks, Beego tutorial, web2py, programming languages, and the future of Dart, all of which are quite popular.)

On Dec 22, 2014, at 10:45 PM, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="VbW8OA5sSLEJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> wrote:

I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...

It would be presumptuous of me to try and sign up supporters for the program. I mean, who the hell am I?!

At any rate, such a campaign is a lot of work, maybe too much. And the odds are really against it.

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

philippeback

Le 23 déc. 2014 20:05, "Richard Eng" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I'm hoping to get some kind of corporate sponsorship for Smalltalk. In fact, I have a draft letter prepared for the CEO of a major technology company, but I cannot send it unless and until Smalltalk Renaissance looks more legitimate. This means that it cannot look like a "fly-by-night" organization. It must have names attached to it that are recognizable, people who are key "movers" in the Smalltalk community (for example, the late James Robertson). Frankly, I'm not familiar with Who's Who in the Smalltalk community. I would like to appeal to them to become "signatories" at Smalltalk Renaissance. Once I get a few names, then I shall fire off the letter...

Good news!

Aller kinds of little "manifestos" became famous. Agile, software craftmanship,...

Why not our own with a couple of signatures indeed.

Yeah world is catching up. So what? Let's see that as some motivation.

Indeed Meteor rocks. Because out of the box it is easy. And hosting is a no brainer. We can do the same. It is nowhere a technical limitation. Just that we all need to eat and as such it is hard to focusa on moving the tech as fast as we want .

Corporate sponsorship could change all that. Just look at what Red Hat did. And how nice CentOS7 is as well.

Richard, make sure you point to podcasts as well.
http://smalltalkreflections.blogspot.ca is a new one and is quite nice.

I did two for Amber, check the wiki pages.
One is planned with Sebastian in January.

It is good to have you around!

Phil

> On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 09:00:28 UTC-5, kilon alios wrote:
>>

>> As you said correctly this is not a one man effort and I think we all do our part in our own small way.
>>
>> I agree with you that Smalltalk goes through a rebirth phase that shows a lot of promise and definetly amber and pharo are the best examples for open source. So in the end however small your effort is still going to benefit the community. As my father says "pebble my pebble you build your own castle "
>>
>> What you mean by supporters for the program ?

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

peter.ode
Hello Richard,

Most Smalltalkers would love to have their paying projects be based on Smalltalk. We all have very similar motivations for this.  I understand and I'm with you on wanting Smalltalk to be accepted as a more mainstream technology choice.

I've been using Smalltalk or have managed Smalltalk based projects since the early 1990's.  I can tell you, I've lost too many projects by trying to sell Smalltalk.  Most of my prospective customers do not understand and do not share the passion.  They feel most comfortable with buzzword compliant technologies such as ".NET", "Java", "SQL".  And now, you can add "Javascript" to the list for some projects.

To close sales, I just presented the benefits of our existing software apps, frameworks and methodologies.  Richard, stick to the benefits on your website.  Smalltalk has many strong points.  If my customer wants to know the details, I frame it by saying, "when I pick up the telephone, I want a dial-tone, and don't care if the backend at the telco is running Linux, Windows or Commodore 64."  Focus on the positive benefits the user experiences, the "dial-tone" for example. Then you can find case studies of successful, large deployments of Smalltalk.  I used (and still do) IBM VisualAge software development tools. IBM Smalltalk has been deployed in mission critical roles at banks, telcos, and Wall Street, for good reasons.  IBM has some credibility. Although, the most impressive case studies are now dated.  Today, Amber is a great tool "for Javascript centric projects."  If you can, Smalltalk has to be introduced as the excellent technology responsible for outstanding deliverables and on-time, on-budget projects. You have to be open and honest, but you also need to provide the best business case to your clients.  It's an art form.

Please perceive the following as constructive. Your web site positions Smalltalk negativley:

HOME OF THE SMALLTALK REVITALIZATION PROGRAM

As a businessman or project lead, I don't want to put the success of my project on a technology that needs "revitalization".

Amber is leading edge technology. Amber has a set of real benefits. Javascript provides the runtime VM and is ubiquitous.  There are lots of great stats to support the growth of Javascript.  Amber makes Javascript shine. Meteor is riding Javascript's coattails, presenting benefits to optimize Javascript centric projects.  Javascript is not a productive language (see table below) and needs Amber's help.

Occasionally, I write a reply to blog posts, trying to express my passion about the benefits of Smalltalk. Such posts fall on deaf ears. My conclusion, unless you've used Smalltalk or viewed a competent  Smalltalker in action, there will be no interest.  Here's a post, pasted below, expressing my attempt to reply to a "Static Typing is Supperior..." blog post.  I could have written it better. I didn't bother to tune-it.  In hind-sight, I would not make any negative statements and would rewrite any parts that could be mistaken for elitist. I'm learning, it's always best to remove "ego" from human interactions.

--- start pasted post ---
This post attempts to shed light on Static Typing versus Dynamic Typing, using Smalltalk and C#.

Flexibility is beneficial and crucial to problem solving. When we lack flexibility, we paint ourselves into a corner.  Programming languages are tools. We need to select the right tool for the job.  Else, this quote describes our limitations:

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Static vs Dynamic Typing has become a religious argument. Lets not drink the purple Cool-Aid. (a reference to cult followers consuming cyanide-laced Cool-Aid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones )

I've used both statically typed, C# most recently. And, Smalltalk on the dynamic front.  In my experience, using C#, after Smalltalk is like going back to using a typewriter with white-out, after using a word processor.  Smalltalk is the dynamic word processor. I am 3x more productive with Smalltalk.  I reach a state of mastery faster and more often when using Smalltalk.

Visual Studio vs Smalltalk IDE example
In my Smalltalk IDE, I can select any method, right-click and instantly open a list of all implementors and/or all callers of that method. It's just part of the meta-data.  I want re-usable code, so polymorphic method names are a good thing. A simple example, send the "print" message to any object, letting the object definition encapsulate how to print any object type, or defer to the super-class' generic implementation.

For decades, in Smalltalk, most code could be edited in the debugger, saved (incrementally compiled) and optionally continue running your program. Visual Studio has a partial implementation for .NET languages, not even close to Smalltalk's ability to edit in debuggers, inspectors and other dynamic tools.

I don't want to sound religious about Smalltalk, but I do prefer a word processor to a typewriter. That's my reality.  Still, I do need to focus on the-best-tool-for-the-job. C# has a place in my toolbox.

Dynamically Typed Smalltalk Shown to be Most Productive
There are many ways to measure productivity and code quality.  Ultimately, total effort per function point is a useful one. On page 46 of http://namcookanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Function-Points-as-a-Universal-Software-Metric2013.pdf a table sets out number of months to implement a 1,000 function point program.  Here's a few metrics for dynamics and static languagues:

Smalltalk   21 coding months
Ruby        46
C#          51
Python      53
C++         53
Java        53
PHP         53
JavaScript  71
C          128
Assembly   213

Smalltalk AND .NET
In my work, I've decided to use both highly productive Smalltalk and .NET with C# for Windows and server apps.
Here's a Smalltalk for .NET, a work-in-progress (just the language, no classic Smalltalk IDE or debuggers yet). Code can be developed in Pharo or VisualWorks Smalltalk, then migrated to Essence#

Smalltalk AND Javascript
For client-side web apps, Smalltalk and JavaScript. Here's a tool that compiles Smalltalk to JavaScript:
I can manipulate JavaScript objects with Smalltalk, vice-versa.  Amber's web browser hosted dynamic tutorial is being upgraded to the most recent version of Amber. Check back later for the interactive tutorial that teases, "Got 5 minutes? ...

Learning Overhead
Smalltalk has 5 keywords.  C++ has more than 50 keywords.  Learning Smalltalk is quick, easy and will teach you design patterns to make you better with other languages. Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaKZBr0ga4

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
I'm not sure my website positions Smalltalk negatively. "Revitalization" is a reflection on one single reality:  Smalltalk is a largely forgotten language...

Despite all the good work that has been done by the Smalltalk community, Smalltalk still languishes in relative obscurity. At the TIOBE index, Smalltalk doesn't even register on the top 100 list (it used to be on the top 50 list, but has since disappeared). At langpop.corger.nl, the language is in 65th position!

As you've indicated, companies don't think about Smalltalk at all. They're predisposed to well-established technologies such as .NET and Java. Trying to change their mindset, trying to educate them, first requires gaining their attention. In other words, it requires PR and marketing.

As Smalltalkers, we mustn't bury our heads in the sand. Smalltalk needs revitalization; it needs public support. That's what Smalltalk Renaissance is all about.

Static vs Dynamic Typing has become a religious argument. Lets not drink the purple Cool-Aid. (a reference to cult followers consuming cyanide-laced Cool-Aid <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJim_Jones\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNF2_i9alGA4-DcnDLDXM514YOW36A';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FJim_Jones\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNF2_i9alGA4-DcnDLDXM514YOW36A';return true;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones )

For supportive reading, here's a well written article on the topic: <a href="http://smalltalk.org/articles/article_20070928_a1_ContinuousNuisanceDoubleTypeCognitiveDissonanceTax_v1.html" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fsmalltalk.org%2Farticles%2Farticle_20070928_a1_ContinuousNuisanceDoubleTypeCognitiveDissonanceTax_v1.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNH7kV9zIoSWzMxjBQc4iwgkwc42iw';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fsmalltalk.org%2Farticles%2Farticle_20070928_a1_ContinuousNuisanceDoubleTypeCognitiveDissonanceTax_v1.html\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNH7kV9zIoSWzMxjBQc4iwgkwc42iw';return true;">http://smalltalk.org/articles/article_20070928_a1_ContinuousNuisanceDoubleTypeCognitiveDissonanceTax_v1.html

There are many ways to measure productivity and code quality.  Ultimately, total effort per function point is a useful one. On page 46 of <a href="http://namcookanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Function-Points-as-a-Universal-Software-Metric2013.pdf" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fnamcookanalytics.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2FFunction-Points-as-a-Universal-Software-Metric2013.pdf\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHVvudAy3a1g3u76NqgBYvBdn-IhA';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fnamcookanalytics.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F07%2FFunction-Points-as-a-Universal-Software-Metric2013.pdf\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHVvudAy3a1g3u76NqgBYvBdn-IhA';return true;">http://namcookanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Function-Points-as-a-Universal-Software-Metric2013.pdf a table sets out number of months to implement a 1,000 function point program.  Here's a few metrics for dynamics and static languagues:

Smalltalk has 5 keywords.  C++ has more than 50 keywords.  Learning Smalltalk is quick, easy and will teach you design patterns to make you better with other languages. Take a look: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaKZBr0ga4" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v\75eGaKZBr0ga4';return true;" onclick="this.href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v\75eGaKZBr0ga4';return true;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGaKZBr0ga4

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
A few days ago, I was looking at the Essence# website. I was confused for the longest time. I kept looking for some indication, some mention, that Essence# was derived from Smalltalk. I was looking for some explanation about the "superset" part of Smalltalk. In other words, I wanted to know what the language looked like, what its syntax was, but I couldn't (easily) find it!

It's a horribly designed website. I found it frustrating to use.

Ultimately, I concluded that Essence# was too new and not ready for prime time.

[...]

Herby Vojčík
I have read the entire thread and a text and I must say two things.

First, I am impressed by what you try to achieve and I think you are heaven-sent.

Second, I've got small issues with the text. Specifically, these two paragraphs:

The beauty of Smalltalk lies in its simplicity and elegance, as well as its novel concept of a “live” development environment (where every object is “live” and you can examine it and change it at will). (Ironically, this “novel” concept was created more than four decades ago!) As a result, Smalltalk is eminently readable, almost like English, but it still manages to be succinct.

and a screen or two later:

Ironically, this modern (and indeed futuristic) concept was invented over four decades ago!

The issues I have is overuse of paretheses in the former and repetition of the "we had it 40 years ago" between the former and the latter (not to mention, it looks a bit elitist, as already kilon alios mentioned, which can scare people away
).

P.S.: This one is great:

Moreover, Smalltalk adheres to modern language design principles that have become very popular. It’s a simple language with a highly readable syntax. Its language features are orthogonal with no unpleasant interactions. Not only is it designed to be easy to learn, it is also designed to be very practical and expressive in daily use.

Richard Eng wrote:

> I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...
>
> http://smalltalkrenaissance.wordpress.com/
>
> It would be presumptuous of me to try and sign up supporters for the
> program. I mean, who the hell am I?!
>
> At any rate, such a campaign is a *lot* of work, maybe too much. And
> the odds are really against it.

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
Thank you for your input. I've edited the posts accordingly. They now read a lot better!

I must confess that I tend to go parenthesis-crazy in my writing style. It's something I need to work on moving forward.

Richard Eng wrote:

> I had a lofty idea, but then I came to my senses. My idea was too lofty...

> It would be presumptuous of me to try and sign up supporters for the
> program. I mean, who the hell am I?!
>
> At any rate, such a campaign is a *lot* of work, maybe too much. And
> the odds are really against it.

> <mailto:<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ccaLUses7pQJ" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">amber-lang+u

Re: The Smalltalk Revitalization Program

horrido
"Frankly, I'm not familiar with Who's Who in the Smalltalk community."

Maybe I should start by asking David Buck, who appears to be the spiritual successor to James Robertson? I don't know.

On Tuesday, 23 December 2014 14:05:48 UTC-5, Richard Eng wrote:
[...]

On your website, your statements are of value, especially to Smalltalkers.  Yes, we need to band together to make contributions focused on improving Smalltalk's acceptance.

On the other hand, for a different audience, from the perception of prospective customers, a technology needing "revitalization" is not the best message.

It's a question of who you intend to be the readers of your blog.  Decision makers in business and technical leads need to see pure benefits presented to them, if they are to favor Smalltalk and Amber.

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 06:11:32 UTC-8, Richard Eng wrote:
I'm not sure my website positions Smalltalk negatively. "Revitalization" is a reflection on one single reality:  Smalltalk is a largely forgotten language...

Despite all the good work that has been done by the Smalltalk community, Smalltalk still languishes in relative obscurity. At the TIOBE index, Smalltalk doesn't even register on the top 100 list (it used to be on the top 50 list, but has since disappeared). At <a href="http://langpop.corger.nl" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Flangpop.corger.nl\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHup6iY7zHRilsmGPdClRNVTCUuLg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Flangpop.corger.nl\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHup6iY7zHRilsmGPdClRNVTCUuLg';return true;">langpop.corger.nl, the language is in 65th position!

[...]

The originator of Essence# started his blog with posts presenting only benefits and elegant descriptions about an object oriented technology. The website's header positions the technology as:

"Advanced Alien Technology"

He purposely did not want to make Essence# just another Smalltalk. I believe his strategy to be sound.  Maybe I'm too much of a sci-fi or Star Trek fan.  Discovering an advanced alien technology is exciting. Maybe a world-changer.

A major downside of all Smalltalk dialects is the lack of proper support for multi-threading and multiple CPUs.  To me, this is the single biggest drawback to Smalltalk.  My eCommerce websites, based on a Smalltalk engine, can not scale to support a large and successful (high traffic) enterprise.

Essence#, running atop the .NET virtual machine is the first Smalltalk that enables use of today's multi CPU hardware. This is a big, big deal!
For a big project, a website that must scale, I can now use Smalltalk.  I won't have to answer to any investors, clients, analysts for choosing a limited technology bound to only one CPU Core.

And, Amber on the client-side atop the ubiquitous Javascript VM.  We will get there with Smalltalk.

The only other Smalltalk with multi-thread / CPU capabilities is Gemstone, but it requires huge resources and expensive license fees for larger work-loads.

The best way to put Smalltak in the mainstream is to have a global success story built on Smalltalk.  What if Facebook or Twitter was built on Smalltalk?  With Essence#, this is now a possibility. The reach of all media channels would deliver the message of Smalltalk.  Personally, I'd love for the Smalltalk community to rally behind Essence#.  Currently  it is viable as a runtime for Smalltalk apps.  Development to be best done in Pharo or another Smalltalk with mature IDE.

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 06:17:41 UTC-8, Richard Eng wrote:
[...]

That's very interesting. I may have to write up a little blurb about it. Are you saying that Essence# is production-ready? I couldn't tell if it was even out of alpha. It would be nice to see a roadmap.

Having something that is free of GemStone's exorbitant licence fees is a BIG DEAL. Big, big deal.

On Wednesday, 24 December 2014 17:44:43 UTC-5, Peter wrote:
[...]

Absolutely correct. Hence, the third goal of the SRP:

Show solid evidence of Smalltalk’s advantages from industry and academics. This should be quantifiable through comparative case studies.

Easier said than done. That's why it's hard work.

From the PR standpoint, we have to do a better "sales job". We need to present arguments addressing all of their concerns. (More about this later. I have some important ideas.)

On Dec 24, 2014, at 8:15 PM, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

On your website, your statements are of value, especially to Smalltalkers.  Yes, we need to band together to make contributions focused on improving Smalltalk's acceptance.

On the other hand, for a different audience, from the perception of prospective customers, a technology needing "revitalization" is not the best message.

It's a question of who you intend to be the readers of your blog.  Decision makers in business and technical leads need to see pure benefits presented to them, if they are to favor Smalltalk and Amber.

I agree with what Peter is saying here.

I love the direction of what you’re doing Richard but I think we need to do smarter.

If as a CEO or VC investor involved in approving the stack technology for a new startup, having one that promotes itself as under a revitalization agenda is scary if you don’t know more its history or success cases. Even if I’m a not-scared investor, if a colleague investor of the fund sees that, he or she might scare my other colleagues and I might not be able to un-scare them (and you’ll have yet another startup invested using some non-smalltalk stack).

A CTO might be less scary because he/she will understand better what we are talking about but I don’t think that’s the case for all the other audiences.

I do think that is great to have revitalization as agenda and branding goal, but putting it upfront is not doing any favor to that goal and agenda.

Just to be clear, I’m 100% aligned with your intention Richard, I really appreciate your effort in trying to do this.

What would be an interesting alternative?

Completely ignore the fact that we are revitalizing the smalltalk brand and just do it without explaining it. Focus in how kick-ass this technology is (over and over) and things will fall into place.

If you feel trolled by someone saying: “hey but you are just a couple of cats using that” we will never deny that is niche and reply that “yeah, I guess our secret weapon is getting known by some new kids"

12