"The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

"The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

Nick
Hi,

While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:

"The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.

BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...

Cheers

Nick

Re: "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

NorbertHartl
I get the 2318 error very often for different error reasons. Forgot the report :) I think I'm used to scroll down in the debugger to the point where the error ocurrs and there I get the real error message.

Norbert

On 12.08.2010, at 20:42, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:
>
> "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"
>
> It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.
>
> BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick

Re: "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

Dale Henrichs
Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I get the 2318 error very often for different error reasons. Forgot the report :) I think I'm used to scroll down in the debugger to the point where the error ocurrs and there I get the real error message.
>
> Norbert
>
> On 12.08.2010, at 20:42, Nick Ager wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:
>>
>> "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"
>>
>> It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.
>>
>> BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nick

This got broken at some point and I have neglected to fix it ... it
Issue 32, (- AST-Core and AST-Tests-Core ported to GemStone) so it's
been know for a while:(

I have marked this as a 1.0-beta.9 milestone ... fixing bugs for
1.0-beta.9 is getting very close to the top of my list:)

Dale

Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>> I get the 2318 error very often for different error reasons. Forgot the report :) I think I'm used to scroll down in the debugger to the point where the error ocurrs and there I get the real error message.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> On 12.08.2010, at 20:42, Nick Ager wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:
>>>
>>> "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"
>>>
>>> It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.
>>>
>>> BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>

> This got broken at some point and I have neglected to fix it ... it
> Issue 32, (- AST-Core and AST-Tests-Core ported to GemStone) so it's
> been know for a while:(

While I have just ported AST-Core to GemStone:), I was parenthesizing:

   http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=32

It seems that thunderbird doesn't always pick up my latest selection in
it's paste buffer and I don't always read my mail before sending:)