"The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

Nick
Hi,

While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:

It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.

BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...

Cheers

Nick

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

NorbertHartl
I get the 2318 error very often for different error reasons. Forgot the report :) I think I'm used to scroll down in the debugger to the point where the error ocurrs and there I get the real error message.

Norbert

On 12.08.2010, at 20:42, Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:
>
> "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"
>
> It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.
>
> BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"

Dale Henrichs
Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I get the 2318 error very often for different error reasons. Forgot the report :) I think I'm used to scroll down in the debugger to the point where the error ocurrs and there I get the real error message.
>
> Norbert
>
> On 12.08.2010, at 20:42, Nick Ager wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:
>>
>> "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"
>>
>> It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.
>>
>> BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nick
>>
>>
>

This got broken at some point and I have neglected to fix it ... it
Issue 32, (- AST-Core and AST-Tests-Core ported to GemStone) so it's
been know for a while:(

I have marked this as a 1.0-beta.9 milestone ... fixing bugs for
1.0-beta.9 is getting very close to the top of my list:)

Dale
Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>> I get the 2318 error very often for different error reasons. Forgot the report :) I think I'm used to scroll down in the debugger to the point where the error ocurrs and there I get the real error message.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> On 12.08.2010, at 20:42, Nick Ager wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While loading my project into Gemstone an alert appeared with the following:
>>>
>>> "The Specified Error Dictionary contains no information for error number 2318 in the current language"
>>>
>>> It turns out I had a class with a class side method that used a local variable named "description". Examining the class hierarchy in Gemstone I discovered that Class has an instance variable named: 'description'. Unlike Pharo it seems Gemstone doesn't allow locals to shadow instance variables. Helpfully when I save a class-side method with a local variable "description" I get a much more friendly "variable has already been declared" - the cryptic message only seems to appear when pulling the code in via Gofer/Monticello.
>>>
>>> BTW I searched the Gemtools menus a couple of times for the special Gemtools Transcript - until I finally realised that one Transcript window serves both client and server... duh. It's so much more enlightening with a Transcript open...
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>
>>>
>
> This got broken at some point and I have neglected to fix it ... it
> Issue 32, (- AST-Core and AST-Tests-Core ported to GemStone) so it's
> been know for a while:(

While I have just ported AST-Core to GemStone:), I was parenthesizing:

http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/issues/detail?id=32

It seems that thunderbird doesn't always pick up my latest selection in
it's paste buffer and I don't always read my mail before sending:)

>
> I have marked this as a 1.0-beta.9 milestone ... fixing bugs for
> 1.0-beta.9 is getting very close to the top of my list:)
>
> Dale