The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

commits-2
Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of Help-Squeak-CorePackages to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

Name: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3
Author: mt
Time: 30 May 2018, 2:57:53.79831 pm
UUID: 375f817f-e19f-054d-a133-3ac749d9ac57
Ancestors: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-tpr.2

Fix "typo" :-)

=============== Diff against Help-Squeak-CorePackages-tpr.2 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: HelpSqueakCorePackagesServiceProvider class>>initialize (in category 'initialization') -----
  initialize
+ ServiceRegistry current buildProvider: self new!
- ServiceRegistry buildProvider: self new!

Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

timrowledge

> On 30-05-2018, at 5:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of Help-Squeak-CorePackages to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

> Name: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3
> Author: mt
> Time: 30 May 2018, 2:57:53.79831 pm
> UUID: 375f817f-e19f-054d-a133-3ac749d9ac57
> Ancestors: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-tpr.2
>
> Fix "typo" :-)

That's an interesting thing because it's a method I didn't alter myself but rather one that got magically changed. I think I noticed at least a couple of those in this package. The interesting thing is that I can't currently see any references to HelpSqueakCorePackagesServiceProvider in the system by name, faked-up string or even a quick look for pointers to the class. Somewhere some code is evidently triggering ServiceProvider>newProviderFor: which would compile a method like this -
        cls class compile: 'initialize
        ServiceRegistry buildProvider: self new' classified: 'initialization'.

So if that's wrong (do you know? I don't) then that needs a fix too, along with any case where it might have created the 'incorrect' #initialize method.

tim
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.

Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Oh, interesting. I have no idea. Maybe just delete that new class again then?

And yes: That template needs fixing, too. I just jumped in to get TravisCI running again. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 30.05.2018 18:59:32 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

> On 30-05-2018, at 5:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Marcel Taeumel uploaded a new version of Help-Squeak-CorePackages to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz

> Name: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3
> Author: mt
> Time: 30 May 2018, 2:57:53.79831 pm
> UUID: 375f817f-e19f-054d-a133-3ac749d9ac57
> Ancestors: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-tpr.2
>
> Fix "typo" :-)

That's an interesting thing because it's a method I didn't alter myself but rather one that got magically changed. I think I noticed at least a couple of those in this package. The interesting thing is that I can't currently see any references to HelpSqueakCorePackagesServiceProvider in the system by name, faked-up string or even a quick look for pointers to the class. Somewhere some code is evidently triggering ServiceProvider>newProviderFor: which would compile a method like this -
cls class compile: 'initialize
ServiceRegistry buildProvider: self new' classified: 'initialization'.

So if that's wrong (do you know? I don't) then that needs a fix too, along with any case where it might have created the 'incorrect' #initialize method.

tim
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.

WorldMenuProvider ? (was Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz)

timrowledge
Anyone know where this gets used? Another thing I can't find any connections to. It seems like it ought to be providing entries for a menu in the main World but I don't see anything so far...

tim
Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.

Re: WorldMenuProvider ? (was Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz)

Chris Muller-3
Not by the core system, it's something for external applications to
provide their own World menu.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 5:33 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone know where this gets used? Another thing I can't find any connections to. It seems like it ought to be providing entries for a menu in the main World but I don't see anything so far...
>
> tim
> Useful random insult:- Cackles a lot, but I ain't seen no eggs yet.

Re: WorldMenuProvider ? (was Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz)

timrowledge

> On 30-05-2018, at 4:51 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not by the core system, it's something for external applications to
> provide their own World menu.

OK. So yet another probably good idea made near invisible by lack of explanations and examples. To quote a prominent tweeter - "Sad"

tim
Managing programmers is like herding cats.

Re: WorldMenuProvider ? (was Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz)

Hannes Hirzel
How would a simple example look like?

- the code and
- the explanation

to  include in the the Help System?

--Hannes

On 5/31/18, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 30-05-2018, at 4:51 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Not by the core system, it's something for external applications to
>> provide their own World menu.
>
> OK. So yet another probably good idea made near invisible by lack of
> explanations and examples. To quote a prominent tweeter - "Sad"
>

> tim
> Managing programmers is like herding cats.

Re: WorldMenuProvider ? (was Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz)

David T. Lewis
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 07:57:26AM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 5/31/18, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 30-05-2018, at 4:51 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not by the core system, it's something for external applications to
> >> provide their own World menu.
> >
> > OK. So yet another probably good idea made near invisible by lack of
> > explanations and examples. To quote a prominent tweeter - "Sad"
> >

> > tim
> > --
> > tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> > Managing programmers is like herding cats.
> >

> How would a simple example look like?
>
> - the code and
> - the explanation
>
> to  include in the the Help System?

Good idea. And a small update to the class comment would easily resolve
the confusion. I do not know the background, but the method stamps show
that Romain Robbes is the author, and SqueakMap shows that Romain did
quite a few externally maintained projects:

 http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/d04df2d7-a433-4475-8bc8-64c6098ef404

The class comment currently says this:

        I define services and categories:
        - The world menu category (identifier:  world), where services and categories can be put to be displayed in the world menu.
        - The preferencesMenu category, where services about services and preferences can be put
        - th open menu

So an update might look something like this (but I do not know if I have
this right, so please help):

        I define services and categories to enable applications to provide a customized world menu:
        - The world menu category (identifier:  world), where services and categories can be put to be displayed in the world menu.
        - The preferencesMenu category, where services about services and preferences can be put
        - the open menu

And if someone could provide an example code snippet to add to the comment
or to a class side method in WorldMenuProvider, that would be great.

Dave