Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-cmm.726.mcz

==================== Summary ====================

Name: Monticello-cmm.726
Author: cmm
Time: 30 June 2020, 5:21:11.609668 pm
UUID: 1a529d96-0be7-45a8-a65e-b9dcae087b85
Ancestors: Monticello-mt.725

Revert incorrect implementation of sorting repositories, because it broke "demote to bottom" which broke "browse revisions" and "browse origin".

=============== Diff against Monticello-mt.725 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCWorkingCopyBrowser>>repositories (in category 'morphic ui') -----
  repositories
+ ^ self repositoryGroup repositories!
- | repositories |
- repositories := self repositoryGroup repositories.
- ^{repositories first}, (repositories allButFirst sort: [:r1 :r2| r1 description < r2 description])!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-cmm.726.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Eliot,

The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?

- Chris

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Revert incorrect implementation of sorting repositories, because it broke "demote to bottom" which broke "browse revisions" and "browse origin".

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCWorkingCopyBrowser>>repositories (in category 'morphic ui') -----
  repositories
+       ^ self repositoryGroup repositories!
-       | repositories |
-       repositories := self repositoryGroup repositories.
-       ^{repositories first}, (repositories allButFirst sort: [:r1 :r2| r1 description < r2 description])!

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
> The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?

What model is it part of?
And if it is, how come the GUI doesn't let you change that order?

Levente

>
>  - Chris
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
>       http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-cmm.726.mcz
>
>       ==================== Summary ====================
>
>       Name: Monticello-cmm.726
>       Author: cmm
>       Time: 30 June 2020, 5:21:11.609668 pm
>       UUID: 1a529d96-0be7-45a8-a65e-b9dcae087b85
>       Ancestors: Monticello-mt.725
>
>       Revert incorrect implementation of sorting repositories, because it broke "demote to bottom" which broke "browse revisions" and "browse origin".
>
>       =============== Diff against Monticello-mt.725 ===============
>
>       Item was changed:
>         ----- Method: MCWorkingCopyBrowser>>repositories (in category 'morphic ui') -----
>         repositories
>       +       ^ self repositoryGroup repositories!
>       -       | repositories |
>       -       repositories := self repositoryGroup repositories.
>       -       ^{repositories first}, (repositories allButFirst sort: [:r1 :r2| r1 description < r2 description])!
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-4
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:59 PM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
> The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?

Monticello's.  MCWorkingCopyBrowser's.

It's "demote to bottom" on the menu.  But it seemed to have gotten broke due to the #repositories list always being sorted.

My hope is that Eliot's use-case is for only when there are no WorkingCopy's selected, thus showing _all_ repositories -- because we can sort that output.  But sorting as far as when an individual WorkingCopy is selected, it breaks one or two use cases.

- Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:59 PM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>       > Hi Eliot,
>       > The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?
>
>       What model is it part of?
>
>
> Monticello's.  MCWorkingCopyBrowser's.
>  
>       And if it is, how come the GUI doesn't let you change that order?
>
>
> It's "demote to bottom" on the menu.  But it seemed to have gotten broke due to the #repositories list always being sorted.
That's a really poor way to make the list sortable. In my opinion there
should be the following options if that's the goal: alphabetize, move
down, move up, move to front, move to end (this is the one called demote
now which is not a good name IMO).

Levente

>
> My hope is that Eliot's use-case is for only when there are no WorkingCopy's selected, thus showing _all_ repositories -- because we can sort that output.  But sorting as far as when an individual WorkingCopy is selected, it
> breaks one or two use cases.
>
>  - Chris
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
Should we separate sorting the view from sorting the model, or the UI model object from the actual domain object/data? Eliot wants to view the list sorted and Chris insists not to break a deliberate order of repositories in the model because other functionality depends on it. Disconnect them.

The bytes on my disk do not move when I sort a list of files by name.

Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 1. Juli 2020, 13:40:

>       On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>       > Hi Eliot,
>       > The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?
>
>       What model is it part of?
>
>
>  
>       And if it is, how come the GUI doesn't let you change that order?
>
>
> It's "demote to bottom" on the menu.  But it seemed to have gotten broke due to the #repositories list always being sorted.

Levente

>
> My hope is that Eliot's use-case is for only when there are no WorkingCopy's selected, thus showing _all_ repositories -- because we can sort that output.  But sorting as far as when an individual WorkingCopy is selected, it
>
>  - Chris
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-4
In reply to this post by Levente Uzonyi
That nomenclature is tied to the use-case, which is about a prioritization of repositories (primary, mirror, local, etc.).  I originally wanted to make it "promote" (instead of demote) but I thought it might be confusing with the package-cache always being first.

The api nomenclature you suggest would shift the focus to the implementation innards being a "collection", without really being as revealing about why a user would want to "move up" a Repository in the list.  It's really not a big deal to me if you want to change it, but I do think having this functionality is useful.  It sounds like an alphabetize option would be useful for VMMaker..

- Chris

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:40 AM Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

>       On Tue, 30 Jun 2020, Chris Muller wrote:
>
>       > Hi Eliot,
>       > The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?
>
>       What model is it part of?
>
>
>  
>       And if it is, how come the GUI doesn't let you change that order?
>
>

Levente

>
>
>  - Chris
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Chris Muller-3
Hi Chris,

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 4:28 PM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot,

The order of repositories is part of the model, sorting them conceptually breaks a couple of MC's use-cases.  Would list-filtering help you find the repository you seek amongst your list of 40 repositories?

Perhaps, but having a rational sort order makes the most sense.  I've just got annoyed, and calmed down, as I had to add trunk to one of my packages and couldn't find it easily in the list.  I have to admit I found your reverting of my sorting passive aggressive.  This is a real issue for me.  I would have liked to see us fix the issues that introducing sorting added.  I don't see how anyone can deal with a complex configuration with the apparently arbitrary and unsorted list we have now.  So I'm reraising this as a real issue.  Can you explain your commit comment for Monticello-cmm.726, "Revert incorrect implementation of sorting repositories, because it broke "demote to bottom" which broke "browse revisions" and "browse origin"."?  How and why does it break these things?  ow and why do they rely on the unsorted order?

- Chris

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:21 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Item was changed:
  repositories
+       ^ self repositoryGroup repositories!
-       | repositories |
-       repositories := self repositoryGroup repositories.
-       ^{repositories first}, (repositories allButFirst sort: [:r1 :r2| r1 description < r2 description])!

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Chris Muller-4

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 8:55 PM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,

It's "demote to bottom" on the menu.  But it seemed to have gotten broke due to the #repositories list always being sorted.

My hope is that Eliot's use-case is for only when there are no WorkingCopy's selected, thus showing _all_ repositories -- because we can sort that output.  But sorting as far as when an individual WorkingCopy is selected, it breaks one or two use cases.

It's the "show all repositories" use case I care about.  I certainly *don't* (and didn't) intend to change the sort order of an individual package's repositories. I understand how I f**ked up now.  I apologize.  Maybe I can do better next time?

- Chris

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-4
Hi Eliot,

I care that something in the IDE isn't working optimally for you.  I do certainly prefer when we engage in a deliberative work style, so when I went to use those legacy IDE functions and found this change to be the reason I couldn't, I took care not to fix it more aggressively than it was committed, and remain sensitive to your use-case to help get it in properly.

So that's good to know you were referring to the "all" list, that should make it just a presentation issue then..

- Chris

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,

It's the "show all repositories" use case I care about.  I certainly *don't* (and didn't) intend to change the sort order of an individual package's repositories. I understand how I f**ked up now.  I apologize.  Maybe I can do better next time?

- Chris

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

marcel.taeumel
Hi Eliot, hi Chris,

what about adding the preference #sortMonticelloRepositoriesAlphabetically like we have #sortMessageCategoriesAlphabetically ?

Best,
Marcel

Am 28.07.2020 05:31:34 schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

Hi Eliot,

I care that something in the IDE isn't working optimally for you.  I do certainly prefer when we engage in a deliberative work style, so when I went to use those legacy IDE functions and found this change to be the reason I couldn't, I took care not to fix it more aggressively than it was committed, and remain sensitive to your use-case to help get it in properly.

So that's good to know you were referring to the "all" list, that should make it just a presentation issue then..

- Chris

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:31 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,

- Chris

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2020-07-28, at 12:01 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Eliot, hi Chris,
>
> what about adding the preference #sortMonticelloRepositoriesAlphabetically like we have #sortMessageCategoriesAlphabetically ?

How about adding sorting to the list *view* morphs instead? Being able to have sorting for name/date/size/colour/whatever in generic list morphs would be pretty helpful.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: HEM: Hide Evidence of Malfunction

Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
So far it was the models being responsible for such things as list
ordering. As I said, maybe the GUI model (for browsing the
repositories, here MCWorkingCopyBrowser) should be separate from the
domain object (that holds the order necessary for features like browse
revisions, I don't know which one it is, but I don't think that the
working copy browser should be used there).

If we enable the views (morphs, widgets) to do the sorting, it will be
cool to have sorting everywhere immediately. But then there might be
another thing you have to care about when you design your user
interface ("I must have this order, so I will always return it like
this... but nah it means I will have to tell the morph to disable the
sorting"). And we will have two ways to achieve the same thing (sorted
lists/trees). Is that the right way? If you think so, please proceed.

Am Di., 28. Juli 2020 um 18:24 Uhr schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

>
>
>
> > On 2020-07-28, at 12:01 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Eliot, hi Chris,
> >
> > what about adding the preference #sortMonticelloRepositoriesAlphabetically like we have #sortMessageCategoriesAlphabetically ?
>
> How about adding sorting to the list *view* morphs instead? Being able to have sorting for name/date/size/colour/whatever in generic list morphs would be pretty helpful.
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Strange OpCodes: HEM: Hide Evidence of Malfunction
>
>
>