The Trunk: Monticello-ct.715.mcz

commits-2
Nicolas Cellier uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-ct.715.mcz

Name: Monticello-ct.715
Author: ct
Time: 6 February 2020, 6:58:26.533648 pm
UUID: 199bf8a3-5eee-1045-a44b-89ad30fa5523
Ancestors: Monticello-cmm.708

Fixes wrong load and unload order of MCScriptDefinitions

See http://forum.world.st/Monticello-Bug-Preamble-of-removal-is-executed-too-late-tp5108401.html. Regression tests are in Tests-ct.426.

Please review!

=============== Diff against Monticello-cmm.708 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCDefinition>>wantsToBeOutermost (in category 'testing') -----
+ wantsToBeOutermost
+
+ ^ false!

Item was changed:
  Object subclass: #MCDependencySorter
+ instanceVariableNames: 'required provided deferred orderedItems'
- instanceVariableNames: 'required provided orderedItems'
  classVariableNames: ''
  poolDictionaries: ''
  category: 'Monticello-Loading'!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>add: (in category 'building') -----
  add: anItem
  | requirements |
+ (anItem wantsToBeOutermost)
+ ifTrue: [^self addDeferred: anItem].
  requirements := self unresolvedRequirementsFor: anItem.
  requirements isEmpty
  ifTrue: [self addToOrder: anItem]
  ifFalse: [self addRequirements: requirements for: anItem].
  ^anItem!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>addDeferred (in category 'building') -----
+ addDeferred
+ deferred do: [:ea |
+ self addToOrder: ea].!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>addDeferred: (in category 'private') -----
+ addDeferred: anItem
+ ^ deferred add: anItem!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>initialize (in category 'initialize-release') -----
  initialize
  provided := Set new.
  required := Dictionary new.
+ orderedItems := OrderedCollection new.
+ deferred := OrderedCollection new.!
- orderedItems := OrderedCollection new.!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCPackageLoader>>sorterForItems: (in category 'private') -----
  sorterForItems: aCollection
  | sorter |
  sorter := MCDependencySorter items: aCollection.
  sorter addExternalProvisions: self provisions.
+ sorter addDeferred.
  ^ sorter!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCPostscriptDefinition>>wantsToBeOutermost (in category 'nil') -----
+ wantsToBeOutermost
+
+ ^ true!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCRemovalPreambleDefinition>>wantsToBeOutermost (in category 'testing') -----
+ wantsToBeOutermost
+
+ ^ true!

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-ct.715.mcz

Jakob Reschke
It looks like this broke the writing of postscripts in FileTree repositories.

MCFileTreePackageStructureStWriter>>acceptVisitor:forDefinitions:
(MCDependencySorter sortItems: aCollection) does not include an
MCPostscriptDefinition that is still present in aCollection.

MCDependencySorter class>>sortItems:
The sorter includes the MCPostscriptDefinition in the new deferred
list, but not in the orderedItems. Therefore it is not included in the
result of sortItems:, because it only returns the orderedItems, not
the deferred ones.

Christoph, can and must sortItems: be fixed or a different method?

Am Do., 5. März 2020 um 21:05 Uhr schrieb <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>addDeferred: (in category 'private') -----
> + addDeferred: anItem
> +       ^ deferred add: anItem!
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>initialize (in category 'initialize-release') -----
>   initialize
>         provided := Set new.
>         required := Dictionary new.
> +       orderedItems := OrderedCollection new.
> +       deferred := OrderedCollection new.!
> -       orderedItems := OrderedCollection new.!
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: MCPackageLoader>>sorterForItems: (in category 'private') -----
>   sorterForItems: aCollection
>         | sorter |
>         sorter := MCDependencySorter items: aCollection.
>         sorter addExternalProvisions: self provisions.

Forgot to mention the net result of the issue: the postscripts gets
effectively removed in the saved version.

Am Fr., 10. Apr. 2020 um 00:02 Uhr schrieb Jakob Reschke
<[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> >
> > Item was added:
> > + ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>addDeferred: (in category 'private') -----
> > + addDeferred: anItem
> > +       ^ deferred add: anItem!
> >
> > Item was changed:
> >   ----- Method: MCDependencySorter>>initialize (in category 'initialize-release') -----
> >   initialize
> >         provided := Set new.
> >         required := Dictionary new.
> > +       orderedItems := OrderedCollection new.
> > +       deferred := OrderedCollection new.!
> > -       orderedItems := OrderedCollection new.!
> >
> > Item was changed:
> >   ----- Method: MCPackageLoader>>sorterForItems: (in category 'private') -----
> >   sorterForItems: aCollection
> >         | sorter |
> >         sorter := MCDependencySorter items: aCollection.
> >         sorter addExternalProvisions: self provisions.

Christoph Thiede

Hi Jakob,

Thanks for the report - and I'm sorry to hear that I broke this!

The motivation for the deferred list was that #addToOrder: (and so the constructor #items:) actually does not sort the added items, but only their dependencies. That's why you need to send #addDeferred to the sorter after adding all other items. Before now, I did not realize that #orderedItems has external users.

So there are two options:

1. Permanently change the public protocol of the dependency sorter - if you want to get all items, you need to send #addDeferred ti the sorter before retrieving the #orderedItems. In the Trunk, we would need to update four senders in three classes for this solution.

2. Change #orderedItems to lazily append the deferred items to the returned list. This is not ideal as it makes the getter more expensive, but on the other hand, we can preserve compatibility by doing so.

I'm open for your opinion on both approaches, or for any other idea! :-)

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-ct.715.mcz

Christoph Thiede

Hi Jakob, hi all,

Did you intentionally not reply the mailing list?

I could not find your previous mail on the list, too! However, we're back on the list now :)

Hm ... what about deprecating #orderedItems and introducing a new #allItems instead? Then we could avoid any internal confusion and had a stable public protocol.

> Which reminds me in general that Monticello classes could use some class comments. :-(

A really good idea! :D

Best,
Christoph

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-ct.715.mcz

Jakob Reschke
Am Sa., 11. Apr. 2020 um 16:42 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<[hidden email]>:

> I could not find your previous mail on the list, too! However, we're back on the list now :)

Oh, it was indeed my mistake, sorry.

Quick summary for the others: I doubted that there is a use case to
get the incomplete list of orderedItems and thus voted to change it.
Christoph argued that it is strange to let the accessor method return
anything else than the instance variable of the same name.

> Hm ... what about deprecating #orderedItems and introducing a new #allItems instead? Then we could avoid any internal confusion and had a stable public protocol.

I'd say the other way around: introduce a new selector for the new
behavior (if necessary) and leave the observable behavior of
orderedItems as it was. Rename the instance variable accordingly if
necessary, as the variable is an implementation detail, the selector
is not.