The Trunk: Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

commits-2
David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

Name: Monticello-dtl.417
Author: dtl
Time: 11 January 2011, 11:49:59.112 pm
UUID: 3af332d1-8df0-4aed-85fa-5135e81b1dde
Ancestors: Monticello-bp.416

When a package is unloaded, any subpackages will also be removed, so unregister the MCWorkingCopies for these subpackages after the removal.

=============== Diff against Monticello-bp.416 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: MCPackageManager>>unregisterSubpackages (in category 'operations') -----
+ unregisterSubpackages
+ (self class registry keys
+ select: [:p | self packageName , '-*' match: p name])
+ do: [:k | self class registry removeKey: k]!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: MCWorkingCopy>>unload (in category 'operations') -----
  unload
  MCPackageLoader unloadPackage: self package.
+ self unregisterSubpackages.
  self unregister.!

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, [hidden email] wrote:

> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

> Name: Monticello-dtl.417
> Author: dtl
> Time: 11 January 2011, 11:49:59.112 pm
> UUID: 3af332d1-8df0-4aed-85fa-5135e81b1dde
> Ancestors: Monticello-bp.416
>
> When a package is unloaded, any subpackages will also be removed, so unregister the MCWorkingCopies for these subpackages after the removal.

So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to
PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new
packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?

Levente

> =============== Diff against Monticello-bp.416 ===============
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: MCPackageManager>>unregisterSubpackages (in category 'operations') -----
> + unregisterSubpackages
> + (self class registry keys
> + select: [:p | self packageName , '-*' match: p name])
> + do: [:k | self class registry removeKey: k]!
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: MCWorkingCopy>>unload (in category 'operations') -----
>  unload
>   MCPackageLoader unloadPackage: self package.
> + self unregisterSubpackages.
>   self unregister.!

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

Tobias Pape
Am 2011-01-12 um 13:26 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

>> Name: Monticello-dtl.417
>> Author: dtl
>> Time: 11 January 2011, 11:49:59.112 pm
>> UUID: 3af332d1-8df0-4aed-85fa-5135e81b1dde
>> Ancestors: Monticello-bp.416
>>
>> When a package is unloaded, any subpackages will also be removed, so unregister the MCWorkingCopies for these subpackages after the removal.
>
> So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?

Is there a currently working solution, anyways?

So Long
        -Tobias

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Tobias Pape wrote:

> Am 2011-01-12 um 13:26 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-dtl.417.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Monticello-dtl.417
>>> Author: dtl
>>> Time: 11 January 2011, 11:49:59.112 pm
>>> UUID: 3af332d1-8df0-4aed-85fa-5135e81b1dde
>>> Ancestors: Monticello-bp.416
>>>
>>> When a package is unloaded, any subpackages will also be removed, so unregister the MCWorkingCopies for these subpackages after the removal.
>>
>> So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?
>
> Is there a currently working solution, anyways?

What I described here used to work for splitting packages. I'm pretty sure
we will split a few packages soon in the Trunk too, for example Tests and
maybe Morphic.

Levente

> So Long
> -Tobias

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

Tobias Pape-2
Am 2011-01-12 um 15:15 schrieb Levente Uzonyi:

>>> So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?
>>
>> Is there a currently working solution, anyways?
>
> What I described here used to work for splitting packages. I'm pretty sure we will split a few packages soon in the Trunk too, for example Tests and maybe Morphic.

You're luck then.
the procedure messed up one of my packages completely.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

On 12.01.2011, at 13:26, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

>> Name: Monticello-dtl.417
>> Author: dtl
>> Time: 11 January 2011, 11:49:59.112 pm
>> UUID: 3af332d1-8df0-4aed-85fa-5135e81b1dde
>> Ancestors: Monticello-bp.416
>>
>> When a package is unloaded, any subpackages will also be removed, so unregister the MCWorkingCopies for these subpackages after the removal.
>
> So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?

Unloading Pkg ~= Deleting WC

- Bert -

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 12.01.2011, at 13:26, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of Monticello to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Monticello-dtl.417.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Monticello-dtl.417
>>> Author: dtl
>>> Time: 11 January 2011, 11:49:59.112 pm
>>> UUID: 3af332d1-8df0-4aed-85fa-5135e81b1dde
>>> Ancestors: Monticello-bp.416
>>>
>>> When a package is unloaded, any subpackages will also be removed, so unregister the MCWorkingCopies for these subpackages after the removal.
>>
>> So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?
>
> Unloading Pkg ~= Deleting WC

So in theory all classes of PackageX-Core are also in PackageX?

Levente

On 12.01.2011, at 15:59, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> So if I have a package named PackageX and I want to split it to PackageX-Core and PackageX-Tests, then after moving all code to the new packages and removing the empty PackageX all my code will be gone?
>>
>> Unloading Pkg ~= Deleting WC
>
> So in theory all classes of PackageX-Core are also in PackageX?
>

> Levente

Of course. In practice, too.

Try it - add a package called "ToolBuilder" and click "browse".

- Bert -

Re: The Trunk: Monticello-dtl.417.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 12.01.2011, at 15:59, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Unloading Pkg ~= Deleting WC
>>
>> So in theory all classes of PackageX-Core are also in PackageX?
>>

>> Levente
>
> Of course. In practice, too.
>
> Try it - add a package called "ToolBuilder" and click "browse".

Ok, I guess it was me who (ab)used this bug. :)

Levente

On 12.01.2011, at 15:48, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Is there a currently working solution, anyways?
>>
>> What I described here used to work for splitting packages. I'm pretty sure we will split a few packages soon in the Trunk too, for example Tests and maybe Morphic.
>>

> You're luck then.
> the procedure messed up one of my packages completely.
>
> So Long,
> -Tobias

?

You just need to understand the difference between "unloading a package" and "deleting a working copy". The former touches code, the latter does not.

- Bert -

Am 2011-01-13 um 10:54 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:

> On 12.01.2011, at 15:48, Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> What I described here used to work for splitting packages. I'm pretty sure we will split a few packages soon in the Trunk too, for example Tests and maybe Morphic.
>>>

>> You're luck then.
>> the procedure messed up one of my packages completely.
>>
>> So Long,
>> -Tobias
>
> ?
>
> You just need to understand the difference between "unloading a package" and "deleting a working copy". The former touches code, the latter does not.

Curiously, the latter did _delete_ some of my code.
however, this was about 6 month earlier, so never mind.

So Long,
        -Tobias

On 13.01.2011, at 11:40, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 2011-01-13 um 10:54 schrieb Bert Freudenberg:

>>> You're luck then.
>>> the procedure messed up one of my packages completely.
>>>
>>> So Long,
>>>    -Tobias
>>
>> ?
>>
>> You just need to understand the difference between "unloading a package" and "deleting a working copy". The former touches code, the latter does not.
>
> Curiously, the latter did _delete_ some of my code.
> however, this was about 6 month earlier, so never mind.
>
> So Long,
>    -Tobias

No way. It just unregisters the working copy meta data.

- Bert -