The Trunk: Morphic-ar.459.mcz

commits-2
Andreas Raab uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-ar.459.mcz

Name: Morphic-ar.459
Author: ar
Time: 6 August 2010, 11:50:36.075 pm
UUID: 1eebbccf-ebff-1c41-8a15-d022e86eb716
Ancestors: Morphic-ar.458

Experimental. Fold the former 'open...' world menu directly into the menu bar as 'Apps' menu. This way, any registered apps are directly accessible via the menu bar. The menu bar needs a bit of cleanup (there are some dupes right now) but it's an experiment to see if people like the idea. You need to go to Extras>>Rebuild Menus to see the effect.

=============== Diff against Morphic-ar.458 ===============

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>listAppsOn: (in category 'submenu - apps') -----
+ listAppsOn: menu
+ "Update the apps list in the menu"
+
+ | args |
+ TheWorldMenu registeredOpenCommands do:[:spec|
+ args := spec second.
+ menu addItem: [ :item |
+ item
+ contents: spec first translated;
+ target: args first;
+ selector: args second].
+ ].
+ !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>appsMenuOn: (in category 'submenu - apps') -----
+ appsMenuOn: aDockingBar
+ "Create a menu with the registered apps"
+
+ aDockingBar addItem: [ :item |
+ item
+ contents: 'Apps' translated;
+ subMenuUpdater: self
+ selector: #listAppsOn: ]
+ !

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>menusOn: (in category 'construction') -----
  menusOn: aDockingBar

  self
  squeakMenuOn: aDockingBar;
  projectsMenuOn: aDockingBar;
  toolsMenuOn: aDockingBar;
+ appsMenuOn: aDockingBar;
  extrasMenuOn: aDockingBar;
  windowsMenuOn: aDockingBar;
  helpMenuOn: aDockingBar.
  aDockingBar addSpacer.
  self
  searchBarOn: aDockingBar;
  clockOn: aDockingBar!

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-ar.459.mcz

Andreas.Raab
Just a small ping - noone having an opinion on this change? Thumbs up,
down, +1, -1 are all welcome.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 8/7/2010 6:51 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Andreas Raab uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-ar.459.mcz

> Name: Morphic-ar.459
> Author: ar
> Time: 6 August 2010, 11:50:36.075 pm
> UUID: 1eebbccf-ebff-1c41-8a15-d022e86eb716
> Ancestors: Morphic-ar.458
>
> Experimental. Fold the former 'open...' world menu directly into the menu bar as 'Apps' menu. This way, any registered apps are directly accessible via the menu bar. The menu bar needs a bit of cleanup (there are some dupes right now) but it's an experiment to see if people like the idea. You need to go to Extras>>Rebuild Menus to see the effect.

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-ar.459.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Just a small ping - noone having an opinion on this change? Thumbs up, down,
> +1, -1 are all welcome.

I like the idea, but it would be a lot better with the new menu
registration. Unfortunately that project seems to be stalled.

Levente

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

>> Andreas Raab uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-ar.459.mcz

>> Name: Morphic-ar.459
>> Author: ar
>> Time: 6 August 2010, 11:50:36.075 pm
>> UUID: 1eebbccf-ebff-1c41-8a15-d022e86eb716
>> Ancestors: Morphic-ar.458
>>
>> Experimental. Fold the former 'open...' world menu directly into the menu
>> bar as 'Apps' menu. This way, any registered apps are directly accessible
>> via the menu bar. The menu bar needs a bit of cleanup (there are some dupes
>> right now) but it's an experiment to see if people like the idea. You need
>> to go to Extras>>Rebuild Menus to see the effect.

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-ar.459.mcz

Colin Putney

On 2010-08-07, at 2:21 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Just a small ping - noone having an opinion on this change? Thumbs up, down, +1, -1 are all welcome.

Sounds good, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Colin

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-ar.459.mcz

espin
+1
I like it also because it re-uses existing registration mechanisms...

Bye
Enrico

--
Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-ar.459.mcz

David T. Lewis
I like it well enough, but I don't see a meaningful distinction
between a "Tool" and an "App". Everything under the "App" menu
might just as easily be listed under the existing "Tools" menu,
the only issue then being that we may possibly have too many entries
under that existing menu.

It does seem that with Monticello, SqueakMap, Universes, ConfigBrowser,
and PackageList we have a set of related tools for finding and
menu along side of "Tools".

Dave