The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

commits-2
Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

Name: Morphic-cmm.401
Author: cmm
Time: 27 March 2010, 7:23:12.94 pm
UUID: 63d287a0-2b83-479a-8c1c-0938383fa6cc
Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.400

Reverted my experimental search bar and clock because they aren't properly integrated into the Docking bar.  Not sure what is needed to do that.

=============== Diff against Morphic-cmm.400 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>fillDockingBar: (in category 'construction') -----
+ fillDockingBar: aDockingBar
- fillDockingBar: aDockingBarMorph
  "Private - fill the given docking bar"
+
+ aDockingBar addSpace: 6.
+ self menusOn: aDockingBar.
+ aDockingBar
+ setProperty: #mainDockingBarTimeStamp
- aDockingBarMorph addSpace: 6.
- self
- menusOn: aDockingBarMorph ;
- accessoriesOn: aDockingBarMorph.
- aDockingBarMorph
- setProperty: #mainDockingBarTimeStamp
  toValue: self class timeStamp!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>accessoriesOn: (in category 'construction') -----
- accessoriesOn: aDockingBarMorph
- aDockingBarMorph
- addSpace: 10 ;
- addMorphBack:
- (TextMorph new
- height: aDockingBarMorph height ;
- hResizing: #spaceFill ;
- backgroundColor: aDockingBarMorph color slightlyDarker ;
- contentsWrapped: '<replace with search term and press command+B>') ;
- addSpace: 50 ;
- addMorphBack:
- (ClockMorph new
- vResizing: #shrinkWrap ;
- yourself)!

Item was removed:
- ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>clockOn: (in category 'construction') -----
- clockOn: aDockingBar
- aDockingBar addMorphBack: ClockMorph new!

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

Chris Muller-3
These enhancements would allow me to start keeping the docking bar on
the desktop.  Does anyone else feel a clock and "search" (just a
TextMorph) bar would be worthy additions to the Docking Bar?

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

> Name: Morphic-cmm.401
> Author: cmm
> Time: 27 March 2010, 7:23:12.94 pm
> UUID: 63d287a0-2b83-479a-8c1c-0938383fa6cc
> Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.400
>
> Reverted my experimental search bar and clock because they aren't properly integrated into the Docking bar.  Not sure what is needed to do that.
>
> =============== Diff against Morphic-cmm.400 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>fillDockingBar: (in category 'construction') -----
> + fillDockingBar: aDockingBar
> - fillDockingBar: aDockingBarMorph
>        "Private - fill the given docking bar"
> +
> +       aDockingBar addSpace: 6.
> +       self menusOn: aDockingBar.
> +       aDockingBar
> +               setProperty: #mainDockingBarTimeStamp
> -       aDockingBarMorph addSpace: 6.
> -       self
> -                menusOn: aDockingBarMorph ;
> -                accessoriesOn: aDockingBarMorph.
> -       aDockingBarMorph
> -               setProperty: #mainDockingBarTimeStamp
>                toValue: self class timeStamp!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>accessoriesOn: (in category 'construction') -----
> - accessoriesOn: aDockingBarMorph
> -       aDockingBarMorph
> -                addSpace: 10 ;
> -                addMorphBack:
> -                       (TextMorph new
> -                                height: aDockingBarMorph height ;
> -                                hResizing: #spaceFill ;
> -                                backgroundColor: aDockingBarMorph color slightlyDarker ;
> -                                contentsWrapped: '<replace with search term and press command+B>') ;
> -                addSpace: 50 ;
> -                addMorphBack:
> -                       (ClockMorph new
> -                                vResizing: #shrinkWrap ;
> -                                yourself)!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>clockOn: (in category 'construction') -----
> - clockOn: aDockingBar
> -       aDockingBar addMorphBack: ClockMorph new!

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

Andreas.Raab
On 3/27/2010 5:47 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> These enhancements would allow me to start keeping the docking bar on
> the desktop.  Does anyone else feel a clock and "search" (just a
> TextMorph) bar would be worthy additions to the Docking Bar?

Absolutely. I really liked the idea though there were two issues with
the implementation: One is that it did something odd to the menu bar
layout (making the menu bar twice as high) and second, the search should
be some sort of "smart" search where you can type class names,
selectors, fragments and get something useful as the result.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM,<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

>> Name: Morphic-cmm.401
>> Author: cmm
>> Time: 27 March 2010, 7:23:12.94 pm
>> UUID: 63d287a0-2b83-479a-8c1c-0938383fa6cc
>> Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.400
>>
>> Reverted my experimental search bar and clock because they aren't properly integrated into the Docking bar.  Not sure what is needed to do that.

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Chris Muller wrote:

> These enhancements would allow me to start keeping the docking bar on
the desktop.  Does anyone else feel a clock and "search" (just a
TextMorph) bar would be worthy additions to the Docking Bar?

I like the idea of a search bar, but it would be better if it were more
than just a TextMorph. I'd like it to have history (accessible by pressing
the up and down keys) which is searchable (by entering a filter
expression) and a keyboard shortcut to move the keyboard focus right
there.
The clock may be useful, but my os has one already, so that should have a
preference IMHO.

Levente

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

> Name: Morphic-cmm.401
> Author: cmm
> Time: 27 March 2010, 7:23:12.94 pm
> UUID: 63d287a0-2b83-479a-8c1c-0938383fa6cc
> Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.400
>
> Reverted my experimental search bar and clock because they aren't properly integrated into the Docking bar.  Not sure what is needed to do that.
>
> =============== Diff against Morphic-cmm.400 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>  ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>fillDockingBar: (in category 'construction') -----
> + fillDockingBar: aDockingBar
> - fillDockingBar: aDockingBarMorph
>        "Private - fill the given docking bar"
> +
> +       aDockingBar addSpace: 6.
> +       self menusOn: aDockingBar.
> +       aDockingBar
> +               setProperty: #mainDockingBarTimeStamp
> -       aDockingBarMorph addSpace: 6.
> -       self
> -                menusOn: aDockingBarMorph ;
> -                accessoriesOn: aDockingBarMorph.
> -       aDockingBarMorph
> -               setProperty: #mainDockingBarTimeStamp
>                toValue: self class timeStamp!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>accessoriesOn: (in category 'construction') -----
> - accessoriesOn: aDockingBarMorph
> -       aDockingBarMorph
> -                addSpace: 10 ;
> -                addMorphBack:
> -                       (TextMorph new
> -                                height: aDockingBarMorph height ;
> -                                hResizing: #spaceFill ;
> -                                backgroundColor: aDockingBarMorph color slightlyDarker ;
> -                                contentsWrapped: '<replace with search term and press command+B>') ;
> -                addSpace: 50 ;
> -                addMorphBack:
> -                       (ClockMorph new
> -                                vResizing: #shrinkWrap ;
> -                                yourself)!
>
> Item was removed:
> - ----- Method: TheWorldMainDockingBar>>clockOn: (in category 'construction') -----
> - clockOn: aDockingBar
> -       aDockingBar addMorphBack: ClockMorph new!

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> Absolutely. I really liked the idea though there were two issues with the
> implementation: One is that it did something odd to the menu bar layout
> (making the menu bar twice as high)

Yes, exactly, and I racked on it for almost an hour before giving up.
I had hoped someone would easily see what I was doing wrong.  I may
give it another try since you've blessed the idea.

> and second, the search should be some
> sort of "smart" search where you can type class names, selectors, fragments
> and get something useful as the result.

TextMorph does all of this now, in addition to also being a
calculator, or even a simple workspace for benchmarking simple
expressions.  You can type a class name, selector, fragment, and get
something useful by pressing the appropriate command key
(iMplementors, seNders, or Browse).

I've been using a standard one-line TextMorph at the top of my image
for a couple of years now, and, I can tell you, it is very useful.  I
even have mine set to "autoFit" because, every once in a while, you
want a "temporary second line" to avoid wiping out the first.

I've also come to appreciate TextMorph in lieu of workspaces
sometimes.  The window framing feels "weighty" once you get used to
free-floating TextMorph workspace (which can have its background
shaded a translucent color to identify its background if you want).
With just two simple gestures, I am able to halo and drag off a
duplicate of the TextMorph in the bar.  (I do still use workspaces
too, though).

To me, it is this kind of incredibly high functional-density that has
always attracted me to Squeak, and was a great inspiration for my UI
principles today.

In the interests of time and virtues of step-wise, incremental
improvement, could we start simple with just a TextMorph and see how
you like it?

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>

>> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 7:23 PM,<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of Morphic to project The Trunk:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Morphic-cmm.401.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Morphic-cmm.401
>>> Author: cmm
>>> Time: 27 March 2010, 7:23:12.94 pm
>>> UUID: 63d287a0-2b83-479a-8c1c-0938383fa6cc
>>> Ancestors: Morphic-cmm.400
>>>
>>> Reverted my experimental search bar and clock because they aren't
>>> properly integrated into the Docking bar.  Not sure what is needed to do
>>> that.

Re: The Trunk: Morphic-cmm.401.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> The clock may be useful, but my os has one already, so that should have a
> preference IMHO.

Mine does too, but if you "enter" Squeak into full-screen mode you
won't have your clock.

Also, the clock is off to the other end, in an area otherwise unused
gray area.  We can turn off the seconds of the clock, so it will be
elegant and not distracting.

If we did all that would it be sufficient to avoid the need for a preference?