The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

commits-2
tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Nebraska to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

Name: Nebraska-tpr.49
Author: tpr
Time: 7 August 2017, 4:42:46.935605 pm
UUID: 867ebd6a-962c-4bee-be61-21636ad6c4b4
Ancestors: Nebraska-ul.48

Correct an ancient underscore assignment

=============== Diff against Nebraska-ul.48 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: NebraskaCommunicatorMorph>>textEntryFieldNamed:with:help: (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
  textEntryFieldNamed: aSymbol with: aString help: helpString

  | f col |
+ f := (StringMorph new contents: aString; font: Preferences standardEToysFont; yourself)
- f _ (StringMorph new contents: aString; font: Preferences standardEToysFont; yourself)
  setBalloonText: helpString;
  on: #mouseUp send: #editEvent:for: to: self.
  self field: aSymbol is: f.
  col _ (self inAColumn: {f}) color: Color white; hResizing: #shrinkWrap.
  ^col!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: NebraskaListenerMorph class>>removeAllFromGlobalIncomingQueue (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
  removeAllFromGlobalIncomingQueue

  self critical: [
+ GlobalIncomingQueue := OrderedCollection new.
- GlobalIncomingQueue _ OrderedCollection new.
  self bumpUpdateCounter.
  ].!

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tim,

Please use the FixUnderscores package (on SqueakMap) to fix underscores.
It takes care of an entire package at a time, and preserves the
original author and timestamp information of the changed methods.

Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Nebraska to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

> Name: Nebraska-tpr.49
> Author: tpr
> Time: 7 August 2017, 4:42:46.935605 pm
> UUID: 867ebd6a-962c-4bee-be61-21636ad6c4b4
> Ancestors: Nebraska-ul.48
>
> Correct an ancient underscore assignment
>
> =============== Diff against Nebraska-ul.48 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: NebraskaCommunicatorMorph>>textEntryFieldNamed:with:help: (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>   textEntryFieldNamed: aSymbol with: aString help: helpString
>
>         | f col |
> +       f := (StringMorph new contents: aString; font: Preferences standardEToysFont; yourself)
> -       f _ (StringMorph new contents: aString; font: Preferences standardEToysFont; yourself)
>                 setBalloonText: helpString;
>                 on: #mouseUp send: #editEvent:for: to: self.
>         self field: aSymbol is: f.
>         col _ (self inAColumn: {f}) color: Color white; hResizing: #shrinkWrap.
>         ^col!
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: NebraskaListenerMorph class>>removeAllFromGlobalIncomingQueue (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>   removeAllFromGlobalIncomingQueue
>
>         self critical: [
> +               GlobalIncomingQueue := OrderedCollection new.
> -               GlobalIncomingQueue _ OrderedCollection new.
>                 self bumpUpdateCounter.
>         ].!

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

timrowledge

> On 07-08-2017, at 7:09 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please use the FixUnderscores package (on SqueakMap) to fix underscores.
> It takes care of an entire package at a time, and preserves the
> original author and timestamp information of the changed methods.

Huh. Never heard of that one before. Should be useful.

tim
Foolproof operation:  All parameters are hard coded.

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

Chris Muller-4
The epic underscore debate occurred during the period when you were in hiatus.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 11:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 07-08-2017, at 7:09 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please use the FixUnderscores package (on SqueakMap) to fix underscores.
>> It takes care of an entire package at a time, and preserves the
>> original author and timestamp information of the changed methods.
>
> Huh. Never heard of that one before. Should be useful.
>

> tim
> Foolproof operation:  All parameters are hard coded.

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

timrowledge

> On 07-08-2017, at 9:16 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The epic underscore debate occurred during the period when you were in hiatus.

That’s just across the straits from Haiti.

tim
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

Levente Uzonyi
The FixUnderscores package was known to break stuff in some cases, because
it didn't parse the code but just replaced strings in methods. I don't
know if that's still the case or not, but a few years ago, I wrote a
better tool: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ul/SourceCodeFixer

Levente

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017, Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Please use the FixUnderscores package (on SqueakMap) to fix underscores.
> It takes care of an entire package at a time, and preserves the
> original author and timestamp information of the changed methods.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> tim Rowledge uploaded a new version of Nebraska to project The Trunk:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

>> Name: Nebraska-tpr.49
>> Author: tpr
>> Time: 7 August 2017, 4:42:46.935605 pm
>> UUID: 867ebd6a-962c-4bee-be61-21636ad6c4b4
>> Ancestors: Nebraska-ul.48
>>
>> Correct an ancient underscore assignment
>>
>> =============== Diff against Nebraska-ul.48 ===============
>>
>> Item was changed:
>>   ----- Method: NebraskaCommunicatorMorph>>textEntryFieldNamed:with:help: (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>>   textEntryFieldNamed: aSymbol with: aString help: helpString
>>
>>         | f col |
>> +       f := (StringMorph new contents: aString; font: Preferences standardEToysFont; yourself)
>> -       f _ (StringMorph new contents: aString; font: Preferences standardEToysFont; yourself)
>>                 setBalloonText: helpString;
>>                 on: #mouseUp send: #editEvent:for: to: self.
>>         self field: aSymbol is: f.
>>         col _ (self inAColumn: {f}) color: Color white; hResizing: #shrinkWrap.
>>         ^col!
>>
>> Item was changed:
>>   ----- Method: NebraskaListenerMorph class>>removeAllFromGlobalIncomingQueue (in category 'as yet unclassified') -----
>>   removeAllFromGlobalIncomingQueue
>>
>>         self critical: [
>> +               GlobalIncomingQueue := OrderedCollection new.
>> -               GlobalIncomingQueue _ OrderedCollection new.
>>                 self bumpUpdateCounter.
>>         ].!

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

Chris Muller-4
It replaces strings, but also detects when inside a String literal,
and presents those to the user for manual update decision, which is
the best and only course of action it can do, IMO.

In any case, what it does is more important than how it does it,
FixUnderscores preserves the author and timestamp information, does
yours as well?

On Tue, 8 Aug 2017, Chris Muller wrote:

> It replaces strings, but also detects when inside a String literal,

IIRC it messes up code with underscores in variable names,
comments, selectors, symbols or characters.

> and presents those to the user for manual update decision, which is
> the best and only course of action it can do, IMO.
>
> In any case, what it does is more important than how it does it,
> FixUnderscores preserves the author and timestamp information, does
> yours as well?

Of course it does. It's pretty well documented and has tests too.
It'll also convert LF line endings to CR without messing up literals in
your code.

Levente

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The FixUnderscores package was known to break stuff in some cases, because
>> it didn't parse the code but just replaced strings in methods. I don't know
>> if that's still the case or not, but a few years ago, I wrote a better tool:
>> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ul/SourceCodeFixer
>>
>> Levente
>>
>> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017, Chris Muller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> Please use the FixUnderscores package (on SqueakMap) to fix underscores.
>>> It takes care of an entire package at a time, and preserves the
>>> original author and timestamp information of the changed methods.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Re: The Trunk: Nebraska-tpr.49.mcz

Chris Muller-4
Cool!