Chris Muller uploaded a new version of SUnitGUI to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz

==================== Summary ====================

Name: SUnitGUI-cmm.78
Author: cmm
Time: 27 December 2019, 10:59:41.297401 pm
UUID: 1c7d7b32-cdec-4875-80d8-7d2413e01a05
Ancestors: SUnitGUI-cmm.77

Fix TestRunner browser for use with Reuse Windows preference.  There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection, it's essentially a singleton browser in Squeak.

=============== Diff against SUnitGUI-cmm.77 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: TestRunner>>representsSameBrowseeAs: (in category 'accessing-ui') -----
  representsSameBrowseeAs: anotherModel
+ ^ true!
- ^ self class = anotherModel class
- and: [ classesSelected = anotherModel classesSelected ]!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Trunk: SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz

Christoph Thiede

-1 for that change :-)

This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback. Why force unnecessary singletons?

In my opinion, the old implementation was simply correct - I can open as many TestRunners as I would like to do, but if there is already an open TestRunner with the same configuration, it will be focused instead.

There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection

How do you mean this? Try the following - before loading this commit - line by line:

TestRunner openForSuite: StringTest suite.
TestRunner openForSuite: CharacterTest suite.

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Samstag, 28. Dezember 2019 05:59:42
An: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Betreff: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz

Fix TestRunner browser for use with Reuse Windows preference.  There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection, it's essentially a singleton browser in Squeak.

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: TestRunner>>representsSameBrowseeAs: (in category 'accessing-ui') -----
+        ^ true!
-        ^ self class = anotherModel class
-        and: [ classesSelected = anotherModel classesSelected ]!

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
I concur with Christoph; -1

Even if it were not possible to open the tool with a preselection, you will still assemble a test suite through manual selection. Then you may want to run a different test suite, but keep the test suite/selection in the first browser to come back later.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Am Sa., 28. Dez. 2019 um 14:27 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

-1 for that change :-)

This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback. Why force unnecessary singletons?

In my opinion, the old implementation was simply correct - I can open as many TestRunners as I would like to do, but if there is already an open TestRunner with the same configuration, it will be focused instead.

There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection

How do you mean this? Try the following - before loading this commit - line by line:

TestRunner openForSuite: CharacterTest suite.

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Samstag, 28. Dezember 2019 05:59:42
An: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
Betreff: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz

Fix TestRunner browser for use with Reuse Windows preference.  There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection, it's essentially a singleton browser in Squeak.

Item was changed:
+        ^ true!
-        ^ self class = anotherModel class
-        and: [ classesSelected = anotherModel classesSelected ]!

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

> On 28.12.2019, at 15:22, Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I concur with Christoph; -1

Same here.

-t

>
> Even if it were not possible to open the tool with a preselection, you will still assemble a test suite through manual selection. Then you may want to run a different test suite, but keep the test suite/selection in the first browser to come back later.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob
>
> Am Sa., 28. Dez. 2019 um 14:27 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:
> -1 for that change :-)
>
>
> This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback. Why force unnecessary singletons?
>
> In my opinion, the old implementation was simply correct - I can open as many TestRunners as I would like to do, but if there is already an open TestRunner with the same configuration, it will be focused instead.
>
>
> > There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection
>
>
> How do you mean this? Try the following - before loading this commit - line by line:
>
>
> TestRunner openForSuite: StringTest suite.
> TestRunner openForSuite: CharacterTest suite.
> TestRunner openForSuite: StringTest suite.
>
>
> Best,
>
> Christoph
>
> Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> Gesendet: Samstag, 28. Dezember 2019 05:59:42
> An: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Betreff: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz
>  
> Chris Muller uploaded a new version of SUnitGUI to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/SUnitGUI-cmm.78.mcz
>
> ==================== Summary ====================
>
> Name: SUnitGUI-cmm.78
> Author: cmm
> Time: 27 December 2019, 10:59:41.297401 pm
> UUID: 1c7d7b32-cdec-4875-80d8-7d2413e01a05
> Ancestors: SUnitGUI-cmm.77
>
> Fix TestRunner browser for use with Reuse Windows preference.  There's no way to spawn that model with any pre-selection, it's essentially a singleton browser in Squeak.
>
> =============== Diff against SUnitGUI-cmm.77 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: TestRunner>>representsSameBrowseeAs: (in category 'accessing-ui') -----
>   representsSameBrowseeAs: anotherModel
> +        ^ true!
> -        ^ self class = anotherModel class
> -        and: [ classesSelected = anotherModel classesSelected ]!
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by Jakob Reschke
Hi Christoph, Hi Jakob, 

Okay, no biggie, I don't have strong feelings on this one, but what I noticed, without this fix, setting Reuse Windows enabled or disabled, has no effect on the Test Runner.  Even though we know why, to the casual observer, it appears to be a "bug" and, from the sense that SUnit browser WAS developed as a "global" singleton browser, it is.

This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback.  Why force unnecessary singletons?

Heh, nothing is forced.  You can use the green halo or turn off the preference.  Do you use the preference?  I thought I was the only one.  :)

There's no way, through normal IDE intreactions currently, to open it with a pre-selection.  If we can make SUnit browser do that in next release, then Reuse Windows will have something to select off of.  As of now, it doesn't in normal IDE usage.

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:22 AM Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
I concur with Christoph; -1

Even if it were not possible to open the tool with a preselection, you will still assemble a test suite through manual selection.

Reuse Windows depends on the pre-selection, but if a certain model *can't*, the idea is that Reuse Windows should at least do *something* for this browser..

Then you may want to run a different test suite, but keep the test suite/selection in the first browser to come back later.

Sure.  I do it all the time.  Green halo.

Green halo has many uses...  :)

Best,
  Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
Hi Chris,

Am So., 29. Dez. 2019 um 08:17 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

Even though we know why, to the casual observer, it appears to be a "bug" and, from the sense that SUnit browser WAS developed as a "global" singleton browser, it is.

Why do you think it was meant to be a singleton browser? I never thought of it that way. Casual observers who know about this preference and remember it when something opens or not might not be so casual after all -- but that aside, whether they have problems with the former behavior or not entirely depends on this singleton expectation.

This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback.  Why force unnecessary singletons?

Heh, nothing is forced.  You can use the green halo or turn off the preference.  Do you use the preference?  I thought I was the only one.  :)

I have it turned on since your last advocacy for it a few months ago.

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:22 AM Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Even if it were not possible to open the tool with a preselection, you will still assemble a test suite through manual selection.

Reuse Windows depends on the pre-selection, but if a certain model *can't*, the idea is that Reuse Windows should at least do *something* for this browser..

I suppose this is up to interpretation and discussion. If I open a system browser via the world menu, I always get a new one without selection, and it feels right to me. Why should it be different with the test runner which also opens without selection? If I do a search for a specific class and already have a browser for it, it gives me the existing system browser, alright, I might have forgotten it. Since I cannot open the test runner on a specific class via the GUI (or can I?) my interpretation of the expected behavior is the opposite of yours: that I should always get a new browser. Does not feel like a bug to me.

Green halo has many uses...  :)

Yes it does, but I always feel somehow cheating or working around something, being on a meta level, when I have to use it on tools. ;-)

Please revert, and in my opinion this should have gone through the inbox first.

Kind regards,
Jakob

Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias Pape

> On 29.12.2019, at 15:06, Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> Am So., 29. Dez. 2019 um 08:17 Uhr schrieb Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:
>
> Even though we know why, to the casual observer, it appears to be a "bug" and, from the sense that SUnit browser WAS developed as a "global" singleton browser, it is.
>
> Why do you think it was meant to be a singleton browser? I never thought of it that way. Casual observers who know about this preference and remember it when something opens or not might not be so casual after all -- but that aside, whether they have problems with the former behavior or not entirely depends on this singleton expectation.
>  
>
> > This commit makes it impossible to have multiple TestRunners opened side by side. For me, this is clearly a drawback.  Why force unnecessary singletons?
>
> Heh, nothing is forced.  You can use the green halo or turn off the preference.  Do you use the preference?  I thought I was the only one.  :)
>
> I have it turned on since your last advocacy for it a few months ago.
>  
>
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 8:22 AM Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Even if it were not possible to open the tool with a preselection, you will still assemble a test suite through manual selection.
>
> Reuse Windows depends on the pre-selection, but if a certain model *can't*, the idea is that Reuse Windows should at least do *something* for this browser..
>
> I suppose this is up to interpretation and discussion. If I open a system browser via the world menu, I always get a new one without selection, and it feels right to me. Why should it be different with the test runner which also opens without selection? If I do a search for a specific class and already have a browser for it, it gives me the existing system browser, alright, I might have forgotten it. Since I cannot open the test runner on a specific class via the GUI    (or can I?) my interpretation of the expected behavior is the opposite of yours: that I should always get a new browser. Does not feel like a bug to me.
>  
>
> Green halo has many uses...  :)
>
> Yes it does, but I always feel somehow cheating or working around something, being on a meta level, when I have to use it on tools. ;-)
>
> Please revert, and in my opinion this should have gone through the inbox first.

+1 here…

>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob
>