The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

commits-2
Patrick Rein uploaded a new version of ToolBuilder-Kernel to project The Trunk:
http://source.squeak.org/trunk/ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

Name: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122
Author: pre
Time: 24 April 2018, 10:29:02.215732 am
UUID: 9e1d912d-13fb-7341-9aac-9ac6ebfb76ab
Ancestors: ToolBuilder-Kernel-tpr.121

Adds a callback to pluggable tree specifications to retrieve the currently selected path in the tree.

=============== Diff against ToolBuilder-Kernel-tpr.121 ===============

Item was changed:
  PluggableWidgetSpec subclass: #PluggableTreeSpec
+ instanceVariableNames: 'roots getSelectedPath setSelectedPath setSelected getSelected setSelectedParent getChildren hasChildren label icon unusedVar menu keyPress doubleClick dropItem dropAccept autoDeselect dragItem nodeClass columns vScrollBarPolicy hScrollBarPolicy dragStarted'
- instanceVariableNames: 'roots getSelectedPath setSelected getSelected setSelectedParent getChildren hasChildren label icon unusedVar menu keyPress doubleClick dropItem dropAccept autoDeselect dragItem nodeClass columns vScrollBarPolicy hScrollBarPolicy dragStarted'
  classVariableNames: ''
  poolDictionaries: ''
  category: 'ToolBuilder-Kernel'!

+ !PluggableTreeSpec commentStamp: 'pre 4/24/2018 10:20' prior: 0!
- !PluggableTreeSpec commentStamp: 'mvdg 3/21/2008 20:59' prior: 0!
  A pluggable tree widget. PluggableTrees are slightly different from lists in such that they ALWAYS store the actual objects and use the label selector to query for the label of the item. PluggableTrees also behave somewhat differently in such that they do not have a "getSelected" message but only a getSelectedPath message. The difference is that getSelectedPath is used to indicate by the model that the tree should select the appropriate path. This allows disambiguation of items. Because of this, implementations of PluggableTrees must always set their internal selection directly, e.g., rather than sending the model a setSelected message and wait for an update of the #getSelected the implementation must set the selection before sending the #setSelected message. If a client doesn't want this, it can always just signal a change of getSelectedPath to revert to whatever is needed.

  Instance variables:
  roots <Symbol> The message to retrieve the roots of the tree.
  getSelectedPath <Symbol> The message to retrieve the selected path in the tree.
+ setSelectedPath <Symbol> The message to set the selected path in the tree.
  setSelected <Symbol> The message to set the selected item in the tree.
  getChildren <Symbol> The message to retrieve the children of an item
  hasChildren <Symbol> The message to query for children of an item
  label <Symbol> The message to query for the label of an item.
  icon <Symbol> The message to query for the icon of an item.
  help <Symbol> The message to query for the help of an item.
  menu <Symbol> The message to query for the tree's menu
  keyPress <Symbol> The message to process a keystroke.
  wantsDrop <Symbol> The message to query whether a drop might be accepted.
  dropItem <Symbol> The message to drop an item.
  enableDrag <Boolean> Enable dragging from this tree.
  autoDeselect <Boolean> Whether the tree should allow automatic deselection or not.
  unusedVar (unused) This variable is a placeholder to fix problems with loading packages in 3.10.!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: PluggableTreeSpec>>setSelectedPath (in category 'accessing - selection') -----
+ setSelectedPath
+
+ ^ setSelectedPath!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: PluggableTreeSpec>>setSelectedPath: (in category 'accessing - selection') -----
+ setSelectedPath: aSymbol
+
+ setSelectedPath := aSymbol!

Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

timrowledge
This isn't a criticism of this particular bit of code, nor of Patrick BUT I really dislike the idiom of
a) providing simple setter/getter methods that not only allow but positively encourage people to write code that looks as nasty as C++. Objects are not C structures with field names.
b) when you do have a valid reason (and they certainly exist) for a setter and/or getter, naming them exactly as the inst var seems to me to just amplify the problem. Less problematic would be the style #setPathSettingSelector:

And yes, I'm sure I've written code that does the Bad Thing. That doesn't make it good.

> [...]
>   setSelected <Symbol> The message to set the selected item in the tree.
>   getChildren <Symbol> The message to retrieve the children of an item
>   hasChildren <Symbol> The message to query for children of an item
>   label <Symbol> The message to query for the label of an item.
>   icon <Symbol> The message to query for the icon of an item.
>   help <Symbol> The message to query for the help of an item.
>   menu <Symbol> The message to query for the tree's menu
>   keyPress <Symbol> The message to process a keystroke.
>   wantsDrop <Symbol> The message to query whether a drop might be accepted.
>   dropItem <Symbol> The message to drop an item.
>   enableDrag <Boolean> Enable dragging from this tree.
>   autoDeselect <Boolean> Whether the tree should allow automatic deselection or not.
>   unusedVar (unused) This variable is a placeholder to fix problems with loading packages in 3.10.!

tim
Strange OpCodes: DC: Divide and Conquer

Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

Tobias Pape

> On 24.04.2018, at 18:33, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This isn't a criticism of this particular bit of code, nor of Patrick BUT I really dislike the idiom of
> a) providing simple setter/getter methods that not only allow but positively encourage people to write code that looks as nasty as C++. Objects are not C structures with field names.
> b) when you do have a valid reason (and they certainly exist) for a setter and/or getter, naming them exactly as the inst var seems to me to just amplify the problem. Less problematic would be the style #setPathSettingSelector:
>
> And yes, I'm sure I've written code that does the Bad Thing. That doesn't make it good.

IIRC, Beck has the Direct Access and the Indirect Access patterns in the book, and the Rule he makes is: stick to one.

My take here is: The base system cannot know all its forthcoming uses and hence should stick to Indirect Access.

my 2ct.
        -Tobias

> [...]
>> enableDrag <Boolean> Enable dragging from this tree.
>> autoDeselect <Boolean> Whether the tree should allow automatic deselection or not.
>> unusedVar (unused) This variable is a placeholder to fix problems with loading packages in 3.10.!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: PluggableTreeSpec>>setSelectedPath (in category 'accessing - selection') -----
>> + setSelectedPath
>> +
>> + ^ setSelectedPath!
>>
>> Item was added:
>> + ----- Method: PluggableTreeSpec>>setSelectedPath: (in category 'accessing - selection') -----
>> + setSelectedPath: aSymbol
>> +
>> + setSelectedPath := aSymbol!
>>

> tim
> Strange OpCodes: DC: Divide and Conquer

Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

Chris Muller-3
> My take here is: The base system cannot know all its forthcoming uses and hence should stick to Indirect Access.

Those forthcoming uses are going to require code changes in any case.

Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

marcel.taeumel
Hi Tim,

I think that such a discussion would be more fruitful if NOT "piggybacked" on top of a regular commit. Instead, collect some related commits, sum up the argument (which you did), and post it as a new thread with a meaningful title. Especially the collection of varying examples is a plus for such discussions to better understand the bigger picture.

Best,
Marcel

Am 24.04.2018 18:33:43 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

> dropItem The message to drop an item.
> enableDrag Enable dragging from this tree.
> autoDeselect Whether the tree should allow automatic deselection or not.
> unusedVar (unused) This variable is a placeholder to fix problems with loading packages in 3.10.!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: PluggableTreeSpec>>setSelectedPath (in category 'accessing - selection') -----
> + setSelectedPath
> +
> + ^ setSelectedPath!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: PluggableTreeSpec>>setSelectedPath: (in category 'accessing - selection') -----
> + setSelectedPath: aSymbol
> +
> + setSelectedPath := aSymbol!

tim
Strange OpCodes: DC: Divide and Conquer

Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz

Ooops... kind of a paradox I stumbled upon here. :-D Well, you know what I mean...^^

Am 25.04.2018 07:37:58 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:

> [...]

> + setSelectedPath The message to set the selected path in the tree.
> setSelected The message to set the selected item in the tree.
> getChildren The message to retrieve the children of an item
> hasChildren The message to query for children of an item
> label The message to query for the label of an item.
> icon The message to query for the icon of an item.
> help The message to query for the help of an item.
> menu The message to query for the tree's menu
> keyPress The message to process a keystroke.
> wantsDrop The message to query whether a drop might be accepted.
> dropItem The message to drop an item.
> enableDrag Enable dragging from this tree.
> autoDeselect Whether the tree should allow automatic deselection or not.
> unusedVar (unused) This variable is a placeholder to fix problems with loading packages in 3.10.!

tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

timrowledge

> On 24-04-2018, at 10:38 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ooops... kind of a paradox I stumbled upon here. :-D Well, you know what I mean...^^

Yup.

It's just another occasion to mumble my long-running rant objecting to bad programming style. If we had private methods then defaulting to creating setter/getters might well make sense, so long as they were private. Indeed, you could even make the compiler create them as part of generating a class - or even allow the inverse so that adding such a method automagically added the instvar to the class.

As it is, the unthinking use of getter/setters is like handing sweating C programmers a syringe loaded with BadCodium and assuring them it feels great.

tim
Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route.

Re: tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

Levente Uzonyi
On Wed, 25 Apr 2018, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 24-04-2018, at 10:38 PM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ooops... kind of a paradox I stumbled upon here. :-D Well, you know what I mean...^^
>
> Yup.
>
> It's just another occasion to mumble my long-running rant objecting to bad programming style. If we had private methods then defaulting to creating setter/getters might well make sense, so long as they were private. Indeed, you could even make the compiler create them as part of generating a class - or even allow the inverse so that adding such a method automagically added the instvar to the class.

Why would you want to create private accessors when you can just access
the variable directly?
Creating accessors for a variable that should not be accessed externally
is bad practice IMHO.

Levente

> As it is, the unthinking use of getter/setters is like handing sweating C programmers a syringe loaded with BadCodium and assuring them it feels great.
>

> tim
> Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route.

Re: tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

timrowledge

> On 25-04-2018, at 10:29 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why would you want to create private accessors when you can just access the variable directly?
> Creating accessors for a variable that should not be accessed externally is bad practice IMHO.

Exactly my point.

The plausible reason for using a message to get an instvar is that there *might* be some testing for is nil, or empty etc that makes your code nicer - no seemingly random chunks of code referring to an ivar and having to test it , maybe incorrectly, scattered around.

You can make an argument (not completely sure I'd agree with it) that using a message send as your normal style makes this cleaner - for plain instvars you just return them, for ones needing testing you do the testing etc. I guess it's true that having code where in some places you use the direct access and in others you have to use a message in order to make sure the ivar is set up correctly is messy and requires some detailed knowledge of the class. Hmm, yeah, maybe. The downside is the whole bad-C-programmer thing.

We could probably do something terribly clever and make the compiler understand that if there is a method named appropriately (simplest choice is "the same as the variable name" but we could set any rule we want) then any place where the direct bytecode would normally be used is replaced by a magic bytecode that actually sends the message. It might even be something the Sista could do magic with. This likely-insane idea would make our code look the same but allow adding a "test and initialise etc" method that just gets used if needed.

All this is just fluff though by comparison to not liking raw getter/setter methods being public.

tim
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Re: tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

Chris Muller-3
> The plausible reason for using a message to get an instvar is that there *might* be some testing for is nil, or empty etc that makes your code nicer - no seemingly random chunks of code referring to an ivar and having to test it , maybe incorrectly, scattered around.

The term is "lazy-initialization".

> You can make an argument (not completely sure I'd agree with it) that using a message send as your normal style makes this cleaner - for plain instvars you just return them, for ones needing testing you do the testing etc. I guess it's true that having code where in some places you use the direct access and in others you have to use a message in order to make sure the ivar is set up correctly is messy and requires some detailed knowledge of the class. Hmm, yeah, maybe. The downside is the whole bad-C-programmer thing.

Direct vs. lazy initialization is an age-old discussion.  Direct tends
to be best for Smalltalk, with lazy for certain circumstances.

> We could probably do something terribly clever and make the compiler understand that if there is a method named appropriately (simplest choice is "the same as the variable name" but we could set any rule we want) then any place where the direct bytecode would normally be used is replaced by a magic bytecode that actually sends the message. It might even be something the Sista could do magic with. This likely-insane idea would make our code look the same but allow adding a "test and initialise etc" method that just gets used if needed.

You think a new language feature with hidden magic complexity that
makes one's code implicitly do extra things other than what it says
will stop people from creating unnecessary getters and setters and
only write code in a "good style"?

> All this is just fluff though by comparison to not liking raw getter/setter methods being public.

There is nothing inherently wrong with raw getter/setters if they're
necessary, and I think everyone agrees providing them unnecessarily is
a bad thing, however, I don't know anywhere in Squeak where the
problem is rampant enough to warrant such rants.  Note, you have
#instVarNamed:put: to worry about too...   ;)

Re: tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

timrowledge

> On 25-04-2018, at 12:26 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> You think a new language feature with hidden magic complexity that
> makes one's code implicitly do extra things other than what it says
> will stop people from creating unnecessary getters and setters and
> only write code in a "good style"?

I don't think anything other than proper design & code review and teaching would stop people from writing poor code. And even then it's not a good bet. :-(

tim
Artificial Intelligence:  Making computers behave like they do in the movies.

Re: tim rants (was Re: The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Kernel-pre.122.mcz)

henry
Scala classes have implicit getter setters, just by defining the ivar. That seems related to class definitions inline using that syntax. Define the class and call the constructor then call the getter.

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile