The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

123

The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

horrido
GoFundMe for the Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial. The plan is to create a complete and full-featured tutorial showing how to write a Seaside application using Pharo. The tutorial is aimed at rank beginners who know absolutely nothing about programming and who need a great deal more hand-holding than Prof Stef. It will provide an alternative to JavaScript bootcamps that are gobbling up programming beginners at a prodigious rate. This is quite a substantial undertaking.

Thank you.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

jfabry
Hi Horrido,

did you have a look at the Pharo Mooc? http://files.pharo.org/mooc/ it has exactly the same target audience and also covers Seaside.

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 08:04, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> GoFundMe for the Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial
> <https://www.gofundme.com/the-ultimate-smalltalk-tutorial-2u3k3sc>  . The
> plan is to create a complete and full-featured tutorial showing how to write
> a Seaside application using Pharo. The tutorial is aimed at rank beginners
> who know absolutely nothing about programming and who need a great deal more
> hand-holding than Prof Stef. It will provide an alternative to JavaScript
> bootcamps that are gobbling up programming beginners at a prodigious rate.
> This is quite a substantial undertaking.
>
> Thank you.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

horrido
Wow! How did I miss this??? It looks great!

I guess I have to modify my campaign to avoid overlap. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

stepharo
Hi Horrido

The tinyblog tutorial is a tutorial on build a real little web application.

We worked on it with Olivier and we decided to reuse an adpat it for the
mooc.

If you want to help what we are trying to do is the following (but I
need time hence you can help):

     - take the mooc version (luc fabresse took the tinyblog tutorial
and improved it and cut)

     - fold it back (without touching to the mooc exercise too much)
into the original version of tinyblog

     - add more chapters

     - release the tutorial new version as a new book.

- So if you

     read the mooc and find english mistakes please report them.

     read tinyblog and find engslish mistakes please report them.

     we should really read side by side the mooc and the tutorial
version to improve the tutorial version.

Stef

Le 14/10/16 à 16:59, horrido a écrit :

> Wow! How did I miss this??? It looks great!
>
> I guess I have to modify my campaign to avoid overlap. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

horrido
Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

Vitor Medina Cruz
I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

stepharo

May be you miss it but it is call

    Pharo by Example.

    or tinyBlog

    or ProfStef

I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.
Apparently you did not look at the videos.
Because the counter videos teaches you that in 15 min.
Then you can open ProfStef (based on my videos) and follow the lecture

It shows also that you never tried to write a tutorial because it is a PAIN to write especially
when the system slightly changes over time. Since I'm one of the few people that spent
their life making video and tutorial, I'm just surprised that richard does not know what we
built over the year.

Stef

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

philippeback
BlueBook. Read the first half.

HelloWorld:

VTermOutputDriver stdout green: 'Hello World'

If you are on OSX or Linux, will be shown on the console.
Windows: writes the string in the stdout file in the image directory (silly Windows VM issue).

In Pharo itself:

Transcript
open;
<< 'Hello World'

HTH
Phil

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

kilon.alios
The four stages of Pharo addiction

STEP1
"I am interested in Pharo , any quick tutorial to get me started ?"

If you want a quick dive to Pharo for experienced coders there is this

STEP2
"Ah I really like Pharo maybe more info about the language and a practical example to give it a go myself ?"

for a bit more dive into the Smalltalk language there is this

STEP3
"Damn this is really cool , where I can find more info I really like to give this a deeper look!"

and of course the rest of the book for those that cant get enough of Pharo

STEP4
"I hate you so much !!! I cant sleep, cant eat, no friends, ex girlfriend.... AHHH CANNNOT STOP !!!! TOO MUCH FUN!!!"

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

Vitor Medina Cruz
stepharo:

I am not saying it for me, but to get other people into the Smalltalk community. My interest in Smalltalk spark the first time I read the Design Principles Behind Smalltalk, since then I:

1- Read the BlueBook (yes) before I know of Pharo;
2- Read "I Can Read C++ and Java But I Can’t Read Smalltalk";
3- Read a number of Smalltalk resources, tutorials, blogs etc;
4- Did Profstef;
5- Learn a little of Redline Smalltalk;
6- Tried Squeek, didn't like;
7- Find Pharo, like it more than Squeek;
8- Read Pharo By Example almost entirely, the first example didn't work (at least at the time) because some dependencies were missing, then I search into the internet, found what was missing and keep going;
9- Did the MOOC ENTIRELY, and I saw all the videos, yes!

So, is there any other thing you think I maybe haven't done, despite the fact that you don't know me much?

As for someone who did the MOOC, I don't think it's a good tutorial in the lines I understand Richard described in the start of this thread: for newcomers. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good course if you would like to get more deep into Pharo and OO, but I understand the intention of Richard was other. So, except from Porfstef, I think none of those resources is a good start point for newcomers, because none of them were good for me nor the people I tried to introduce Pharo. I just keep going because I was already VERY interested in Smalltalk, if not for that I would have also given up.

My opinion is only that, an opinion, you can take it or not, it was not meant to be personal or whatever, but if you wanna take it as so there isn't much I can do.

Phil:

Thanks for your suggestions, but I was just telling Richard that I think the MOOC was too much for a tutorial, that I think other format and something simpler would be better for newcomers.

Dimitri:

I am already on STEP 4 ;)

I think what is missing is something before all that, something that spark the "I am interested in Pharo", the STEP 0. What does that today? I think a simple tutorial that catch the attention of people would do that. Right now I think it is too hard for someone to get interested in Smalltalk in general, and Pharo in particular, because something like that is missing, and one must really understand and see the value of Smalltalk to persist and keep going and learning, like happened to me.

Regards,
Vitor

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It's hard because very few people are curious by nature. It's people that love to get out of their comfort zone. You cannot instill that to people , you either have it or you don't.

So the truth is , there is no step 0.

Let's be sincere here Smalltalk is by far the most anti mainstream language. Plenty of people pass through these forums , all of the are curious and interested , very few stick around. Took me two years to be convinced to take Pharo seriously another two to let it replace Python.

The reply I wrote was a joke. I would never recommend Pharo over Python or Ruby or even JavaScript. The Pharo path is a path of suffering and pain. Sure it's fun but it ain't easy.

I was looking my entire life for something like Pharo , almost 30 years. When I found it took me another 5 to realize this is it and I had many close calls to abandoning it. But in the end I realized with its weakness and frustrated moments I love Pharo.

To tell you truth even if I was to give up Pharo, today, it would not matter much. Mainly because I can take the Pharo ideology to any other programming language even the most ugly ones like Java, C++ and JavaScript. I recently discovered how to turn C++ into a full live coding language with almost zero compile times. Where there is a will there is a way.

In the end it does not matter how you code but why you code. The why is deeply embedded in Smalltalk.
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 at 01:52, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ben Coman
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Dimitris Chloupis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was looking my entire life for something like Pharo , almost 30 years.
> When I found it took me another 5 to realize this is it and I had many close
> calls to abandoning it. But in the end I realized with its weakness and
> frustrated moments I love Pharo.
>
> To tell you truth even if I was to give up Pharo, today, it would not matter
> much. Mainly because I can take the Pharo ideology to any other programming
> language even the most ugly ones like Java, C++ and JavaScript.

I don't remember who said it, but I like the quote...
 "The only languages worth learning are those that change the way you
think about programming"

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 at 01:52, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> I think what is missing is something before all that, something that spark
>> the "I am interested in Pharo", the STEP 0. What does that today? I think a
>> simple tutorial that catch the attention of people would do that. Right now
>> I think it is too hard for someone to get interested in Smalltalk in
>> general, and Pharo in particular, because something like that is missing,
>> and one must really understand and see the value of Smalltalk to persist and
>> keep going and learning, like happened to me.

Perhaps something like these?
* https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/reddit-st-in-10-cool-pharo-classes-1b5327ca0740
* https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/rediscovering-the-ux-of-the-legendary-hp-35-scientific-pocket-calculator-d1d497ece999
* https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/elegant-pharo-code-bb590f0856d0

If you do notice somewhere a suitable step 0, please let us know.  For
those of us using Pharo a while, our perspective changes so maybe we
can't see what might hook newcomers. The things we see as important
might be a paradigm step too far for newcomers.   Although those who
teach Pharo classes would have a better idea of a newcomer
perspective, may that is still different from someone voluntarily
choosing Pharo without a supportive environment like a university
course.

cheers -ben

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

Nicolai Hess-3-2

Am 23.10.2016 3:16 nachm. schrieb "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]>:

> I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.

I thought "pharo by example" provides exactly  that.
What is missing here, from your perspective?
I learned a lot from it and it helped me to get started to learn smalltalk, not only the syntax, but also, doing something the smalltalk way.

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

monty-3
+1 for PBE.

> Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 at 1:56 AM
> From: "Nicolai Hess" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Any question about pharo is welcome" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial
>
> Am 23.10.2016 3:16 nachm. schrieb "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]>:
> >
> > I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.
> I thought "pharo by example" provides exactly  that.
> What is missing here, from your perspective?
> I learned a lot from it and it helped me to get started to learn smalltalk, not only the syntax, but also, doing something the smalltalk way.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
+1 for PBE
It has been my first smalltalk/Pharo tutorial.
I'm still using it, as a quick reference.

On October 25, 2016 6:25:08 AM GMT+02:00, monty <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for PBE.

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

philippeback
There was this book (and some others of the same ink) that was provided with my first computer:

This thing is still sitting near my desk today (I guess it keeps me connected to my curious young self or something like that).

I keep on thinking that it would be great to have a Pharo-based version of it.

And something like this one for bytecode sets...

Phil

Re: The Ultimate Smalltalk Tutorial

stepharo

It was quite fun

Tx for this cool tour.

https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2016/10/25/the-four-stages-of-pharo-addiction/

Stef

Le 23/10/16 à 18:26, Dimitris Chloupis a écrit :
[...]

So tell us what is missing because we already have an impressive list and you read nearly everything.

I do not see what we can do more than that. I mean it seriously (I'm writing a new book on Learning OOP with Pharo) but this is not what you are looking for.

Then I do not see why Building the Quinto game or the counter does not work for you.

Stef

Le 24/10/16 à 00:50, Vitor Medina Cruz a écrit :
[...]

thanks for this feedback.

This reminds me that we should finish to push Updated Pharo by Example to the publication part

Le 24/10/16 à 07:56, Nicolai Hess a écrit :

Am 23.10.2016 3:16 nachm. schrieb "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]>:

> I think the MOOC is too much for a tutorial. What I miss today is a good written (no videos! Please!) tutorial that teaches just a little of the language and give a few guidelines on how to do simple stuff with the environment, such as a "Hello World!", creating a class, tests and run stuff.

I thought "pharo by example" provides exactly  that.
What is missing here, from your perspective?
I learned a lot from it and it helped me to get started to learn smalltalk, not only the syntax, but also, doing something the smalltalk way.

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Excellent suggestion! I shall look into it. Thanks.
>>

>> --

123