The current state of ObjectStudio

Henrik Høyer

Having downloaded the evaluation copy of this product, checked various Cincom documentation, blogs mailings lists, used Google a lot, watched some screencast I have come to the conclusion that this is a very dead product….

I cannot in my wildest imagination think of anyone who would pick up ObjectStudio to do any development. Here are just a few of my initial findings

·        The look and feel of the product (and any product created with it) is Windows 95, and looks terrible on modern operating systems

·        The only reference customer I could find is http://www.agis.ch. - a company that has hibernating for 5 years

·        The product is advertised as “ObjectStudio is the first—and only—Windows 7-certified Smalltalk environment”. The problem is though that only Hardware can get Windows 7 Certified. Software can earn the “Works with Windows 7”, but apparently ObjectStudio hasn’t earned this (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?l=en-us&type=Software&s=objectstudio).

I think you are doing yourself and the Smalltalk community a great disservice by trying to market ObjectStudio. My advice to you is to remove all information about the product on you webpage, stop promoting it, and create a closed area for existing customers.

Please don’t shoot the messenger for bringing bad news, the above was written with the best intensions.

sPeople Logo Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect
[hidden email] • (+45) 4029 2092
Tigervej 27 • 4600 Køge
www.sPeople.dk • (+45) 7023 7775

Re: The current state of ObjectStudio

Thomas, Arden
Hi Henrik;

I won't shoot the messenger, I will just point out some information you may have missed;  :-)

Thank you for pointing out the difficulty in finding ObjectStudio's Win7 compatibility certification, you can see it here:
(We will try to correct the multi-language parameters that make it not easily found in the default search).

There are numerous ObjectStudio based reference success stories on our web site.  Look under "Successes".
There are more customers using it, but their company policies forbid them from discussing use of technology publicly.

It may surprise you to learn some of Cincom's largest Smalltalk customers are ObjectStudio users.

Also, I think ObjectStudio looks very good running on Windows 8 :

hth

Arden Thomas
Cincom Smalltalk Product manager

On Sep 28, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Henrik Høyer wrote:

[...]

<speoplelogo.png>Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect
[hidden email] • (+45) 4029 2092
Tigervej 27 • 4600 Køge
www.sPeople.dk • (+45) 7023 7775

[...]

845 296 0686

Cincom Smalltalk - It makes hard things easier, the impossible, possible

"Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Re: The current state of ObjectStudio

Henrik Høyer

Sorry for not doing my search thoroughly enough – I had no idea MS pr. default limited the search result based on my current location. You should still change the text and the logo used on your website. MS has some pretty specific rules regarding using these certifications in marketing material.

I have no doubt that Cincom has several large Object Studio customers, but the reference customer mentioned in the mail I received after downloading OS was agis.ch, and they are not a good example to show newcomers to OS.

My point is that if you want to attract new customers you should focus on your best product. Even though a potential customer might be tempted by Visual Works, he/she will still look at your other products to get a general impression of you as a future strategic provider… And in this regard all your Object Studio information is hurting your image.

Henrik Høyer, sPeople Aps
[hidden email]
(+45) 4029 2092

[...]

<speoplelogo.png>

Henrik Høyer

Chief Software Architect

[hidden email] • (+45) 4029 2092

Tigervej 27 • 4600 Køge

www.sPeople.dk • (+45) 7023 7775

[...]

Madhu-21
>>Also, I think ObjectStudio looks very good running on Windows 8 :

In my opinion it does not. ObjectStudio widgets still do not look like native operating system widgets. They don't have Windows 95 look anymore but they have this ugly border around
them. If you are specifically trying to say that it looks very good on Windows 8, then I have to tell you that from what I see, it looks the same on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 8.

May be if the DLLCC GUI project (http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/ost/blogView?showComments=true&printTitle=Camp_ObjectStudio&entry=3400314749) is finished, we might have the
possibility to make the ObjectStudio GUI better and look like native windows applications. Could you give us a status update on this project?

Regards,
Madhu.

On Thu 29/09/11 16:01 , Arden Thomas [hidden email] sent:

> [...]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?
> type=Software&compat=all&os=32-bit&s=ObjectStudio&l=zh-cn[2] http://webmail.genotec.ch/HTTP://WWW.AGIS.CH/
> [3]
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/ost/blogView?showComments=true&
> ;printTitle=Hello_Anybody_out_there&entry=3398493963[4]
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?
> l=en-us&type=Software&s=objectstudio[5] http://www.sPeople.dk/
> [7] http://www.sPeople.dk/
> [10] http://webmail.genotec.ch/HTTP://WWW.AGIS.CH
> [11]
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/ost/blogView?showComments=true&
> ;printTitle=Hello_Anybody_out_there&entry=3398493963[12]

Georg Heeg
Madhu,

I agree with your description about the GUI. Until now I have not seen many requests from ObjectStudio to improve the GUI. Is this important for your environment?

I understand that ObjectStudio is used by many big companies for mission critical applications. The requests I have seen were

1. Stability of the product
2. Support of all kind of interfaces (dot net, web services, http, databases)
3. Support for Unicode
4. Source code compatibility to prior versions
5. ease of use for typical business applications
6. availability on up-to-date Windows platforms

With the move to Version 8 I have seen Cincom moving to these goals.

Concerning Hendrik's remark about the "quiet community": Business application programmers are rarely part of the Facebook generation; they tend to work quietly towards their goals; mostly their companies do not allow to speak about their work in public.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

> [...]

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?
> type=Software&compat=all&os=32-bit&s=ObjectStudio&l=zh-cn[2]
> http://webmail.genotec.ch/HTTP://WWW.AGIS.CH/
> [3]
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/ost/blogView?showComments=tru
> e& ;printTitle=Hello_Anybody_out_there&entry=3398493963[4]
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?
> l=en-us&type=Software&s=objectstudio[5] http://www.sPeople.dk/ [7]
> http://www.sPeople.dk/ [9]
> [10] http://webmail.genotec.ch/HTTP://WWW.AGIS.CH
> [11]
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/ost/blogView?showComments=tru
> e& ;printTitle=Hello_Anybody_out_there&entry=3398493963[12]

Georg,

>>Is this important for your environment?

Yes, it is important for us. We have already expressed all our needs through Cincom support, unfortunately, we did not get a complete solution yet.

In general, in my opinion, let it be any programming environment, all applications developed using them should look like native operating system applications.

Regards,
Madhu.

On Fri 30/09/11 12:47 , "Georg Heeg" [hidden email] sent:

> Madhu,
>
> I agree with your description about the GUI. Until now I have not seen many
> requests from ObjectStudio to improve the GUI. Is this important for your
> environment?
> I understand that ObjectStudio is used by many big companies for mission
> critical applications. The requests I have seen were
> 1. Stability of the product
> 2. Support of all kind of interfaces (dot net, web services, http,
> databases)3. Support for Unicode
> 4. Source code compatibility to prior versions
> 5. ease of use for typical business applications
> 6. availability on up-to-date Windows platforms
>
> With the move to Version 8 I have seen Cincom moving to these goals.
>
> Concerning Hendrik's remark about the "quiet community": Business
> application programmers are rarely part of the Facebook generation; they
> tend to work quietly towards their goals; mostly their companies do not
> allow to speak about their work in public.
> Georg
>
> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
> Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

jarober
I think we need to move past the idea of business developers not being allowed to speak about the software; I almost never see that.  What I see instead is developers for whom software is a job, not an avocation.  They are happy to talk about their apps and the tools they use if the subject comes up, but just aren't that interested otherwise.  Their outside work lives revolve around other activities.

There are tons of VW and VA developers who fit this mold; it's hardly limited to ObjectStudio.

On Sep 30, 2011, at 6:47 AM, Georg Heeg wrote:

> Madhu,
>
> I agree with your description about the GUI. Until now I have not seen many requests from ObjectStudio to improve the GUI. Is this important for your environment?
>
> I understand that ObjectStudio is used by many big companies for mission critical applications. The requests I have seen were
>
> 1. Stability of the product
> 2. Support of all kind of interfaces (dot net, web services, http, databases)
> 3. Support for Unicode
> 4. Source code compatibility to prior versions
> 5. ease of use for typical business applications
> 6. availability on up-to-date Windows platforms
>
> With the move to Version 8 I have seen Cincom moving to these goals.
>
> Concerning Hendrik's remark about the "quiet community": Business application programmers are rarely part of the Facebook generation; they tend to work quietly towards their goals; mostly their companies do not allow to speak about their work in public.
>
> Georg
>
> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
> Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: The current state of ObjectStudio

Dennis smith-4

On Sep 30/11 9:17 AM, James Robertson wrote:
> I think we need to move past the idea of business developers not being allowed to speak about the software; I almost never see that.  What I see instead is developers for whom software is a job, not an avocation.  They are happy to talk about their apps and the tools they use if the subject comes up, but just aren't that interested otherwise.  Their outside work lives revolve around other activities.
What fun is that?  I am at least partly serious.   I have used
C/C++/PL1/Assembler/VW and a few I may not remember (and a couple of my
own) -- none were a 9-5 job for me -- I tried to love them and make them
fun and part of my life (and yes I do have other parts to my life :) )

> There are tons of VW and VA developers who fit this mold; it's hardly limited to ObjectStudio.
>
> On Sep 30, 2011, at 6:47 AM, Georg Heeg wrote:
>
>> Madhu,
>>
>> I agree with your description about the GUI. Until now I have not seen many requests from ObjectStudio to improve the GUI. Is this important for your environment?
>>
>> I understand that ObjectStudio is used by many big companies for mission critical applications. The requests I have seen were
>>
>> 1. Stability of the product
>> 2. Support of all kind of interfaces (dot net, web services, http, databases)
>> 3. Support for Unicode
>> 4. Source code compatibility to prior versions
>> 5. ease of use for typical business applications
>> 6. availability on up-to-date Windows platforms
>>
>> With the move to Version 8 I have seen Cincom moving to these goals.
>>
>> Concerning Hendrik's remark about the "quiet community": Business application programmers are rarely part of the Facebook generation; they tend to work quietly towards their goals; mostly their companies do not allow to speak about their work in public.
>>
>> Georg
>>
>> Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
>> Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen
>> Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: The current state of ObjectStudio

andre

> In general, in my opinion, let it be any programming environment,
> all applications developed using them should look like native
> operating system applications.

+1

Although it's rather the feel (response to keyboard and mouse,
shortcuts, behavior of editors, menu structures, naming conventions,
etc) and platform integration (copy/paste, drag/drop, printing, etc)
that really matters. It is a lot easier to get used to an unusual
visual appearance, in contrast to unusual behavior.

Andre