The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

David T. Lewis
The squeaksource.com home page presents a warning that out of date. I
would like to update that message with something more appropriate. The
home page currently says this:

  Note: The creation of new projects has been disabled. If you would like
  to create a new project please consider moving to: http://ss3.gemstone.com/
  or http://www.smalltalkhub.com/.

And it might be better to say something like this:

  Note: If you would like to create a new project please consider using
  http://ss3.gemstone.com/.

Rationale: New project creation is no longer disabled on squeaksource.com.
The smalltalkhub.com site is still beta so I am not sure that it should
be recommended. The ss3.gemstone.com seems to be solid and well supported.

Does that sound right? Advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

Levente Uzonyi-2
That sounds right to me.

Levente

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, David T. Lewis wrote:

> The squeaksource.com home page presents a warning that out of date. I
> would like to update that message with something more appropriate. The
> home page currently says this:
>
>  Note: The creation of new projects has been disabled. If you would like
>  to create a new project please consider moving to: http://ss3.gemstone.com/
>  or http://www.smalltalkhub.com/.
>
> And it might be better to say something like this:
>
>  Note: If you would like to create a new project please consider using
>  http://ss3.gemstone.com/.
>
> Rationale: New project creation is no longer disabled on squeaksource.com.
> The smalltalkhub.com site is still beta so I am not sure that it should
> be recommended. The ss3.gemstone.com seems to be solid and well supported.
>
> Does that sound right? Advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

Chris Muller-3
The first paragraph says, "Welcome to SqueakSource", why should the
second paragraph recommend users to go elsewhere?

I miss the clean, welcoming, original look of SqueakSource.  Does
anyone remember why those confusing messages were put there in the
first place?

PS -- we should ask Pharo if they prefer to have "and Pharo" removed
too so it doesn't create confusion for their users if have moved on
from Squeaksource.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The squeaksource.com home page presents a warning that out of date. I
> would like to update that message with something more appropriate. The
> home page currently says this:
>
>   Note: The creation of new projects has been disabled. If you would like
>   to create a new project please consider moving to: http://ss3.gemstone.com/
>   or http://www.smalltalkhub.com/.
>
> And it might be better to say something like this:
>
>   Note: If you would like to create a new project please consider using
>   http://ss3.gemstone.com/.
>
> Rationale: New project creation is no longer disabled on squeaksource.com.
> The smalltalkhub.com site is still beta so I am not sure that it should
> be recommended. The ss3.gemstone.com seems to be solid and well supported.
>
> Does that sound right? Advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

Chris Muller-3
Looks like the hosting message credit is out of date too..

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 11:35:14PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> The first paragraph says, "Welcome to SqueakSource", why should the
> second paragraph recommend users to go elsewhere?
>
> I miss the clean, welcoming, original look of SqueakSource.  Does
> anyone remember why those confusing messages were put there in the
> first place?

At one time, there was an announced plan to shut down the service. The
warning messages were added at that time.

I'm happy either way, although I do think that some kind of message
encouraging folks to consider other services is still appropriate. After
all, we are not trying to attract a lot of new users to squeaksource.com,
the emphasis is on maintaining the reliability and availibility of the
existing service.

> PS -- we should ask Pharo if they prefer to have "and Pharo" removed
> too so it doesn't create confusion for their users if have moved on
> from Squeaksource.

The squeaksource.com service is quite actively used by the Pharo community.
Maybe we get get some input from the Pharo perspective (this message is
cross posted to both lists). From my point of view, it seems good to
say "for Squeak and Pharo" here.

Dave

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The squeaksource.com home page presents a warning that out of date. I
> > would like to update that message with something more appropriate. The
> > home page currently says this:
> >
> >   Note: The creation of new projects has been disabled. If you would like
> >   to create a new project please consider moving to: http://ss3.gemstone.com/
> >   or http://www.smalltalkhub.com/.
> >
> > And it might be better to say something like this:
> >
> >   Note: If you would like to create a new project please consider using
> >   http://ss3.gemstone.com/.
> >
> > Rationale: New project creation is no longer disabled on squeaksource.com.
> > The smalltalkhub.com site is still beta so I am not sure that it should
> > be recommended. The ss3.gemstone.com seems to be solid and well supported.
> >
> > Does that sound right? Advice is welcome.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
The squeaksource.com home page presents a warning that out of date. I
would like to update that message with something more appropriate. The
home page currently says this:

  Note: The creation of new projects has been disabled. If you would like
  to create a new project please consider moving to: http://ss3.gemstone.com/
  or http://www.smalltalkhub.com/.

And it might be better to say something like this:

  Note: If you would like to create a new project please consider using
  http://ss3.gemstone.com/.

Rationale: New project creation is no longer disabled on squeaksource.com.
The smalltalkhub.com site is still beta so I am not sure that it should
be recommended. The ss3.gemstone.com seems to be solid and well supported.

Does that sound right? Advice is welcome.

Looks sensible to me.  But I'd really like that front page to explain who "We" is.  Also, the code is the most important thing.  Is there a backup of the packages?  We need to make sure there is a reliable backup of all that code.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 04/08/15 14:41, David T. Lewis wrote:
> The squeaksource.com service is quite actively used by the Pharo community.
> Maybe we get get some input from the Pharo perspective (this message is
> cross posted to both lists). From my point of view, it seems good to
> say "for Squeak and Pharo" here.

The welcome message should help people find existing projects and
decide where to host new ones. To help find existing ones it might
be helpful to explain that some migrated to smalltalkhub and ss3,
and that that might not be obvious from looking at the squeaksource
page.

I'm happy to see both Pharo and Squeak mentioned.

The beta tag on smalltalkhub doesn't make much sense. It is heavily used
in production with a few hundred CI jobs, lots of which are critical to
the development of Pharo itself. This week there were 15
new projects and 12 users added. And yes, is also missing functionality
that is unlikely to be added and the web ui has serious issues.

Stephan

Re: [squeak-dev] The squeaksource.com welcome page needs an update

Tobias Pape

On 06.08.2015, at 08:10, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/08/15 14:41, David T. Lewis wrote:
>> The squeaksource.com service is quite actively used by the Pharo community.
>> Maybe we get get some input from the Pharo perspective (this message is
>> cross posted to both lists). From my point of view, it seems good to
>> say "for Squeak and Pharo" here.
>
> The welcome message should help people find existing projects and
> decide where to host new ones. To help find existing ones it might
> be helpful to explain that some migrated to smalltalkhub and ss3,
> and that that might not be obvious from looking at the squeaksource
> page.
>
> I'm happy to see both Pharo and Squeak mentioned.
>
> The beta tag on smalltalkhub doesn't make much sense. It is heavily used in production with a few hundred CI jobs, lots of which are critical to the development of Pharo itself. This week there were 15
> new projects and 12 users added. And yes, is also missing functionality that is unlikely to be added

Well, it is still on my list… but you know… lists…