This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Monty Kamath
I'm trying to run my Pharo image on CentOS using Squeak-3.11.3.2135-linux_i386.tar.gz which I think is the latest linux vm.

When I do I get this:
This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).
Press CR to quit...

This doesn't happen with my older Squeak image.
Also, this doesn't happen on Windows with the Pharo vm and my Pharo image.

Can someone point me to the vm I should be using?

Thanks,
Monty

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Monty Kamath
My bad.  I'm using Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar which is an old VM.

Will this old vm work with old images Squeak images?

Thanks,
Monty

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Mariano Martinez Peck
The problem of the "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)." is because you are using and old VM without the closure support in a closure-enable image. You must download the VM from the Pharo website if you want to use pharo: http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download

My bad.  I'm using Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar which is an old VM.

Will this old vm work with old images Squeak images?

I have no idea, but I guess it *should*. But for sure it won't work with Pharo as you need a closure VM.

Cheers,

Mariano

Thanks,
Monty

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Monty Kamath wrote:

> My bad.  I'm using Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar which is an old VM.
>
> Will this old vm work with old images Squeak images?

Yes it will, just like the new one, so it's safe to use the newer vm.

Levente

> Thanks,
> Monty

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Monty Kamath
The latest version of the vm doesn't work on CentOS 4 because it requires glibc 2.4.
Is there an older version of the vm that will work?  If so could you point me to it?

My VPS is on CentOS 4 which doesn't have glibc 2.4 so I get this error:
    ./squeakvm: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./squeakvm)

The VPS support guys tell me not to upgrade glibc because it will corrupt the container.

I think this means that I either need to switch to a CentOS 5 container or find an older vm that doesnt' require glibc 2.4.

Thanks for any help!

Monty

Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Monty Kamath wrote:

> My bad.  I'm using Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar which is an old VM.
>
> Will this old vm work with old images Squeak images?

Yes it will, just like the new one, so it's safe to use the newer vm.

Levente

> Thanks,
> Monty

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi monty

may be you should ask in the squeak-vm mailing-list.
Now you should pay attention since the vm changed because of closures.

Stef
On Dec 14, 2009, at 11:39 PM, Monty Kamath wrote:

> The latest version of the vm doesn't work on CentOS 4 because it requires
> glibc 2.4.
> Is there an older version of the vm that will work?  If so could you point
> me to it?
>
> My VPS is on CentOS 4 which doesn't have glibc 2.4 so I get this error:
>    ./squeakvm: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required
> by ./squeakvm)
>
> The VPS support guys tell me not to upgrade glibc because it will corrupt
> the container.
>
> I think this means that I either need to switch to a CentOS 5 container or
> find an older vm that doesnt' require glibc 2.4.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Monty
>

> Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009, Monty Kamath wrote:
>>

>>> My bad.  I'm using Squeak-3.10-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar which is an old
>>> VM.
>>>
>>> Will this old vm work with old images Squeak images?
>>>

>> Yes it will, just like the new one, so it's safe to use the newer vm.
>>

>> Levente
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Monty

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).

Bryce Kampjes
On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 14:39 -0800, Monty Kamath wrote:

> The latest version of the vm doesn't work on CentOS 4 because it requires
> glibc 2.4.
> Is there an older version of the vm that will work?  If so could you point
> me to it?
>
> My VPS is on CentOS 4 which doesn't have glibc 2.4 so I get this error:
>     ./squeakvm: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required
> by ./squeakvm)
>
> The VPS support guys tell me not to upgrade glibc because it will corrupt
> the container.
>
> I think this means that I either need to switch to a CentOS 5 container or
> find an older vm that doesnt' require glibc 2.4.

You'll need to use a new VM if you want to use newer images with proper
closures.

You can build one yourself easily enough from the C sources that are
here:

        http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

or here:

        http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux-src.tz

I think Ian's VMs (top link) have decent documentation on doing a C only
build (1). The trick is to re-run configure if required which is
in ./platforms/unix/config/configure.

Bryce

(1) A proper build would involve getting a working image, then using
that to run VMMaker to rebuild the generated C sources.