This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

Peter Osburg-2
Hi folks,

I downloaded the latest Linux version of Pharo. I did as it is told in the README.txt
But I when I want to start with my image, I receive the following error message:
"This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)"

I have to tell you that I tried to start Pharo on a 64bit Linux (32bit libraries are installed). The image itself was created under Windows and the latest Pharo for Win VM.

Is there a compatibility issue between windows images and linux images?

How can I solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter

--
www.peter-osburg.de
www.experiencedwebprogramming.com

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks peter.
I'm that one of our linux friend will answer your question.

On Oct 16, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Peter Osburg wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I downloaded the latest Linux version of Pharo. I did as it is told
> in the README.txt
> But I when I want to start with my image, I receive the following
> error message:
> "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)"

You dled it from the pharo web site?

> I have to tell you that I tried to start Pharo on a 64bit Linux
> (32bit libraries are installed). The image itself was created under
> Windows and the latest Pharo for Win VM.
>
> Is there a compatibility issue between windows images and linux
> images?
>
> How can I solve the problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Peter
>
> --
> www.peter-osburg.de
> www.experiencedwebprogramming.com
> www.mix-rss.com

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

Peter Osburg-2
Yes I took the version called
"Linux and other unix (0.15.2d)"

And my windows Pharo is from the pharo-project.org page, as well (even though a little older probably - talking about 2 or 3 months).

2009/10/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
thanks peter.
I'm that one of our linux friend will answer your question.

On Oct 16, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Peter Osburg wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I downloaded the latest Linux version of Pharo. I did as it is told
> in the README.txt
> But I when I want to start with my image, I receive the following
> error message:
> "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)"

You dled it from the pharo web site?

> I have to tell you that I tried to start Pharo on a 64bit Linux
> (32bit libraries are installed). The image itself was created under
> Windows and the latest Pharo for Win VM.
>
> Is there a compatibility issue between windows images and linux
> images?
>
> How can I solve the problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Peter
>
> --
> www.peter-osburg.de
> www.experiencedwebprogramming.com
> www.mix-rss.com

www.peter-osburg.de
www.experiencedwebprogramming.com
www.mix-rss.com

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/10/16 Peter Osburg <[hidden email]>
Yes I took the version called
"Linux and other unix (0.15.2d)"

And my windows Pharo is from the pharo-project.org page, as well (even though a little older probably - talking about 2 or 3 months).

The error "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)" happens when you are executing a non closure support VM with an closure enable image as Pharo is.

But this is weird because the VM which is here: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22745/pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip   (the one you have)

But this IS CLOSURE ENABLE. So...the question is, are you SURE are you using that VM ? maybe you have another VM installed in your OS and depending on how are you starting the VM, perhaps it is using the other VM (suppose it is in $PATH or something similar).

On the other hand, you can try the one click image and see if works: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23260/Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09ONECLICK.4.zip

Best,

Mariano

2009/10/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

thanks peter.
I'm that one of our linux friend will answer your question.

On Oct 16, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Peter Osburg wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I downloaded the latest Linux version of Pharo. I did as it is told
> in the README.txt
> But I when I want to start with my image, I receive the following
> error message:
> "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)"

You dled it from the pharo web site?

> I have to tell you that I tried to start Pharo on a 64bit Linux
> (32bit libraries are installed). The image itself was created under
> Windows and the latest Pharo for Win VM.
>
> Is there a compatibility issue between windows images and linux
> images?
>
> How can I solve the problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Peter
>
> --
> www.peter-osburg.de
> www.experiencedwebprogramming.com
> www.mix-rss.com

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

Peter Osburg-2
I downloaded your image on my windows and created the image with the corresponding web app.
The VM on my Linux is still the same and I still receive the same error message.

Is the Linux version from your posted link another than I got from www.pharo-project.org ?

2009/10/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>

2009/10/16 Peter Osburg <[hidden email]>

Yes I took the version called
"Linux and other unix (0.15.2d)"

And my windows Pharo is from the pharo-project.org page, as well (even though a little older probably - talking about 2 or 3 months).

The error "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)" happens when you are executing a non closure support VM with an closure enable image as Pharo is.

But this is weird because the VM which is here: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/22745/pharo-vm-0.15.2d-linux.zip   (the one you have)

But this IS CLOSURE ENABLE. So...the question is, are you SURE are you using that VM ? maybe you have another VM installed in your OS and depending on how are you starting the VM, perhaps it is using the other VM (suppose it is in $PATH or something similar).

On the other hand, you can try the one click image and see if works: http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23260/Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09ONECLICK.4.zip

Best,

Mariano

2009/10/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

thanks peter.
I'm that one of our linux friend will answer your question.

On Oct 16, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Peter Osburg wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I downloaded the latest Linux version of Pharo. I did as it is told
> in the README.txt
> But I when I want to start with my image, I receive the following
> error message:
> "This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)"

You dled it from the pharo web site?

> I have to tell you that I tried to start Pharo on a 64bit Linux
> (32bit libraries are installed). The image itself was created under
> Windows and the latest Pharo for Win VM.
>
> Is there a compatibility issue between windows images and linux
> images?
>
> How can I solve the problem?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Peter
>
> --
> www.peter-osburg.de
> www.experiencedwebprogramming.com
> www.mix-rss.com

www.peter-osburg.de
www.experiencedwebprogramming.com
www.mix-rss.com

Re: This interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504)

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/10/16 Peter Osburg <[hidden email]>
I downloaded your image on my windows and created the image with the corresponding web app.

I think you didn't understand me. The link I sent was a one click image which is a zip with the VM for all the OS and the image. You just need to uncompres it, and in the folder Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09ONECLICK.4.app   you will see you have a .exe for windows, a .sh for linux, etc.

So, just double click on Pharo.sh and it should work. It will use the Linux VM that comes with the zip and the same with the image.