classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

This sentence made my day [WAS] Re: Dark Mode

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
I agree with Dimitris - it is all a matter of preference - not all eyes are the same. For myself, I find the default dark theme in Pharo very uncomfortable. On my system, some elements have a black foreground on a dark grey background, which is almost impossible to see. This is always true of the maximise/minimise/close buttons, but sometimes also of text fields in a playground. Whenever I download a new image, I immediately switch to the Watery theme, with light background and nice coloured buttons on the windows.

Of course, my eyes may not be typical. I am now aged 84, and I have had cataract operations on both eyes. My sight is actually quite good - my optometrist confirms that I am legal to drive without spectacles - but my adverse reaction to dark mode is strong and immediate.

Sometimes is hard to explain to someone outside the community why Smalltalkers love they language so much. I think above paragraph says it all. It made my day. I wish I can follow that path! hahaha. 

Just my 2p worth

Peter Kenny

-----Original Message-----
From: Pharo-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of stephan
Sent: 27 August 2017 21:46
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Dark Mode

On 27-08-17 22:37, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:
> White or dark is a matter of preference. But the matter of preference
> is also a matter of biology . Not all eyes are same.

The research is pretty clear: a large majority of developers does better with light themes. I have been sufficiently clear on the choice to make
Pharo6 theme dark default

Stephan

--