classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thoughts on Monticello/GIT?

Geert Claes
Administrator
A feedback post on the ESUG list from the GSoC somehow turned into an idea sandpit.  I would like to test the water about one of the ideas to get a feeling about what people thoughts are regarding Pharo/GIT?  Some groundwork has already been done via the gitocello (I like the name) project.

Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote
... For the VCS, I've always been surprised there's no git or svn backend for Monticello.  It wouldn't seem _too_ hard to have a directory per package and replace each .mcz file with a commit in that directory.

Alternatively, there's actually very little GST-specific code in http://github.com/timfel/gitocello (a Squeak+Monticello <-> GST+git bridge), so if someone wants to play with it...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thoughts on Monticello/GIT?

jfabry

I like the idea to be able to use more traditional/well-known SCM, however we may be opening another can of worms here: CVS versus SVN versus GIT. In the end, if I would choose the above route, I would go with a tool I am familiar with, in my case SVN. I think the same would hold for other people, so in the end we may end up needing to support multiple tools. That's obviously not such a good idea ...

On 29 Oct 2010, at 10:21, Geert Claes wrote:

>
> A feedback post on the ESUG list from the GSoC somehow turned into an idea
> sandpit.  I would like to test the water about one of the ideas to get a
> feeling about what people thoughts are regarding Pharo/GIT?  Some groundwork
> has already been done via the gitocello (I like the name) project.
>

--
Johan Fabry  
[hidden email] - http://dcc.uchile.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Reply | Threaded
|

Dennis Schetinin
In reply to this post by Geert Claes
Smalltalk code is objects, not text. So I'm for exploration and development of this (traditional Smalltalk Envy, Store, Monticello...) direction instead of trading Smalltalk benefits for cheap popularity :) But these alternatives don't interfere I guess.

2010/10/29 Geert Claes <[hidden email]>

A feedback post on the ESUG list from the GSoC somehow turned into an idea
sandpit.  I would like to test the water about one of the ideas to get a
feeling about what people thoughts are regarding Pharo/GIT?  Some groundwork
has already been done via the gitocello (I like the name) project.

Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote:
>
> ... For the VCS, I've always been surprised there's no git or svn backend
> for Monticello.  It wouldn't seem _too_ hard to have a directory per
> package and replace each .mcz file with a commit in that directory.
>
> Alternatively, there's actually very little GST-specific code in
> http://github.com/timfel/gitocello (a Squeak+Monticello <-> GST+git
> bridge), so if someone wants to play with it...
>

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Thoughts-on-Monticello-GIT-tp3019086p3019086.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
Dennis Schetinin
Reply | Threaded
|

Geert Claes
Administrator
In reply to this post by jfabry
Johan Fabry wrote
I like the idea to be able to use more traditional/well-known SCM, however we may be opening another can of worms here: CVS versus SVN versus GIT. In the end, if I would choose the above route, I would go with a tool I am familiar with, in my case SVN. I think the same would hold for other people, so in the end we may end up needing to support multiple tools. That's obviously not such a good idea ...
In line with the distributed nature of Smalltalk community and Monticello it is probably a good idea to stick to distributed version control systems like GIT, Mercurial, Bazaar, Darcs and pick one to as a sandpit.