Thoughts on the best way to use Firebase within Amber

Thoughts on the best way to use Firebase within Amber

Andy Burnett
Firebase seems to offer great potential as a realtime key/value store. The api is pretty simple, and the performance - so far - seems very good.

I would like to create a Firebase class in order to use it as the model on various applications. However, I am not sure on the best way to include it within the Amber system, and I would value other people's thoughts.

Clearly, one approach would be to simply use their existing javascript library, and work with the methods they expose. We don't have to worry about keeping up with versions, and it is pretty simple.

Although this would be simple, it would also seem to miss a big opportunity.  Firebase could be thought of as a huge - multi user - Dictionary. But, unlike a Dictionary, it doesn't support the usual select, collect, reject etc. methods. So, another approach might be to map their data object onto a Dictionary, and write the CRUD methods to keep the two in synch.  Obviously, this would involve more work, but might help to make the whole experience more Smalltalk.

Are there things we could learn from Gemstone? And, are there other approaches that would be better?

Cheers
Andy

Re: Thoughts on the best way to use Firebase within Amber

Nicolas Petton

I just went to their website and it really looks like a great service. I
would also go with a specific class to have a good smalltalk API.

Cheers,
Nico

--
Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> writes:

> Firebase <http://www.firebase.com> seems to offer great potential as a
> realtime key/value store. The api is pretty simple, and the performance -
> so far - seems very good.
>
> I would like to create a Firebase class in order to use it as the model on
> various applications. However, I am not sure on the best way to include it
> within the Amber system, and I would value other people's thoughts.
>
> Clearly, one approach would be to simply use their existing javascript
> library, and work with the methods they expose. We don't have to worry
> about keeping up with versions, and it is pretty simple.
>
> Although this would be simple, it would also seem to miss a big
> opportunity.  Firebase could be thought of as a huge - multi user -
> Dictionary. But, unlike a Dictionary, it doesn't support the usual select,
> collect, reject etc. methods. So, another approach might be to map their
> data object onto a Dictionary, and write the CRUD methods to keep the two
> in synch.  Obviously, this would involve more work, but might help to make
> the whole experience more Smalltalk.
>
> Are there things we could learn from Gemstone? And, are there other
> approaches that would be better?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Thoughts on the best way to use Firebase within Amber

Chip Nowacek-2
Nico, is there a good place to start building a collection of how-to items? Having a "how to integrate Firebase" thing would make a big difference for clunks like me. When it comes to Amber, there are a lot of clunks like me.

By the way, speaking of marketing, stuff like Firebase integration (or just how to easily integrate Firebase) can make huge inroads with other developers. I know it's a special case of a larger, more important architecture but it's a case that people can easily understand. It would be a good introduction to Amber. It's a case where a little tech could go a long way with marketing.

Andy Burnett <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="KaZ0C9I_LdcJ">andy.b...@knowinnovation.com> writes:

> Firebase <http://www.firebase.com> seems to offer great potential as a
> realtime key/value store. The api is pretty simple, and the performance -
> so far - seems very good.
>
> I would like to create a Firebase class in order to use it as the model on
> various applications. However, I am not sure on the best way to include it
> within the Amber system, and I would value other people's thoughts.
>
> Clearly, one approach would be to simply use their existing javascript
> library, and work with the methods they expose. We don't have to worry
> about keeping up with versions, and it is pretty simple.
>
> Although this would be simple, it would also seem to miss a big
> opportunity.  Firebase could be thought of as a huge - multi user -
> Dictionary. But, unlike a Dictionary, it doesn't support the usual select,
> collect, reject etc. methods. So, another approach might be to map their
> data object onto a Dictionary, and write the CRUD methods to keep the two
> in synch.  Obviously, this would involve more work, but might help to make
> the whole experience more Smalltalk.
>
> Are there things we could learn from Gemstone? And, are there other
> approaches that would be better?
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Nicolas Petton