Three layers in GLASS

BrunoBB
Hi,

It is possible to configure GLASS in 3 layers like traditional
technolgies.
I mean:
* DBMS
* Bussines Engine
* Web Server

I know that GemStone/S Extents can be created in another computer.

But it is possible to separate the Bussines layer and the Web layer ?

Something like:
* Server 1 - GemStone/S Extents
* Server 2 - My Domain Rules (i think here is the Shared Page Cache)
* Server 3 - Web Server.

This separation is 3 layer sometimes is a prerequisite for
architecture in goverment contracts for IT developments.

Now i?m searching GLASS documentation on this subject.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Three layers in GLASS

Diogenes Moreira
Well, this is not a good architecture, but to acomplish de government requirement, you can use that 3 layers.

1. GemStone
2. App Server (a pharo, VW, other Gemstone or an other client)
3. Webserver. (Apache).

In fact, the gemstone (no glass.. free version dont support) can be deployed in multiples machines.. (diferents Gems and Stones).
But I Know, the government Analysts are very dificult. is like squeezing water from a rock.. :P

Best Regards

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:10 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

It is possible to configure GLASS in 3 layers like traditional
technolgies.
I mean:
* DBMS
* Bussines Engine
* Web Server

I know that GemStone/S Extents can be created in another computer.

But it is possible to separate the Bussines layer and the Web layer ?

Something like:
* Server 1 - GemStone/S Extents
* Server 2 - My Domain Rules (i think here is the Shared Page Cache)
* Server 3 - Web Server.

This separation is 3 layer sometimes is a prerequisite for
architecture in goverment contracts for IT developments.

Now i?m searching GLASS documentation on this subject.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Three layers in GLASS

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 6 dec 2010, at 14:10, [hidden email] wrote:
> It is possible to configure GLASS in 3 layers like traditional
> technolgies.

In web development with GLASS there are sufficient layers, some of which can be merged for government architecture purposes.
- Client with web browser, html, css and javascript
- Web server for static content and routing Seaside (Lighttpd, Apache, Nginx)
- Seaside gems serving the application (and maintenance)
- NetLDI connects the gems to the stone(s)
- Stone serves the data

Stephan

Re: Three layers in GLASS

BrunoBB

Thanks for the answers.

I trying to figure out how to merge GLASS to match the 3 layer
architecture.
I do not care if this possiblity is present in the free version of
GLASS or in other version.

I think it will be something like:
* Server 1: GemStone/S extent.
* Server 2: GemStone/S (Shared Page Cache)
* Server 3: Apache or Lighttpd.

If it is possible to achieve this it will be great.

It will be great to hear about the solutions you find in this regard.

Regards,
Bruno

Seaside beta discussion"<[hidden email]>
>Asunto: Re: [GS/SS Beta] Three layers in GLASS
>

>On 6 dec 2010, at 14:10, [hidden email] wrote:
>> It is possible to configure GLASS in 3 layers like traditional
>> technolgies.
>
>In web development with GLASS there are sufficient layers, some of
which can be merged for government architecture purposes.
>- Client with web browser, html, css and javascript
>- Web server for static content and routing Seaside (Lighttpd,
Apache, Nginx)
>- Seaside gems serving the application (and maintenance)
>- NetLDI connects the gems to the stone(s)
>- Stone serves the data
>
>Stephan

Re: Three layers in GLASS

James Foster-8
Bruno,

Sometimes we think of the Gem (Smalltalk) as being a separate layer from the Stone (Database). Of course, this is not really accurate since the Gem is very involved with the database responsibilities. On the other hand, if someone wants you to run things on three (or more) computers, you could put Apache on one, Gems on the second, and the Stone on the third. (This would require a $$$ license, not the no-cost version). We have one well-known customer who has many hundreds of machines running Gems against a single Stone.

James

On Dec 6, 2010, at 5:10 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is possible to configure GLASS in 3 layers like traditional
> technolgies.
> I mean:
> * DBMS
> * Bussines Engine
> * Web Server
>
> I know that GemStone/S Extents can be created in another computer.
>
> But it is possible to separate the Bussines layer and the Web layer ?
>
> Something like:
> * Server 1 - GemStone/S Extents
> * Server 2 - My Domain Rules (i think here is the Shared Page Cache)
> * Server 3 - Web Server.
>
> This separation is 3 layer sometimes is a prerequisite for
> architecture in goverment contracts for IT developments.
>
> Now i?m searching GLASS documentation on this subject.
>
> Regards,
> Bruno

Re: Three layers in GLASS

BrunoBB
James,

Thanks for your answer.

I did know that GemStone/S has these capabilities.
But i wanna be sure that are present in the GLASS version.

Server 1: Apache
Server 2: Gems
Server 3: Stone

Seems to be very good to me and match the classical 3 layer
architecture.

If it requieres a $$$ license i do not care about it, i only care if
it possible, and it is !!!

Regards,
Bruno

Re: Three layers in GLASS

James Foster-8
On Dec 6, 2010, at 9:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> James,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I did know that GemStone/S has these capabilities.
> But i wanna be sure that are present in the GLASS version.

Bruno,

GLASS is the same underlying GemStone/S 64 Bit technology, but with a no-cost license that has certain limits. One of the limits is that all Gems must be on the same host as the Stone. So, it is technically correct to say that the feature is NOT present in GLASS. For all practical purposes, however, the only change is replacing the "key" file (a text file), then the limits are removed.

Think of 'GLASS' as a marketing name, not a technology. The 'A' in GLASS stands for Apache, but you don't have to use Apache. The 'S' in GLASS stands for Seaside, but you can use Aida instead.  In fact, with the no-cost license (so-called GLASS), you don't even have to do a web application. Also, you are free to use Apache, Seaside, etc. in the $$$ license, so the distinction is really not that great.

If you have a customer who wants "three-tier" and is willing to pay, then you can meet that requirement. More importantly, you can do all your prototyping and development with the no-cost license ("GLASS"), and then switch to multi-machine easily at the end. If you want to try out multi-machine, you could ask (at [hidden email]) for a time-limited evaluation license that allows multi-machine.

James