Tiling windows

12

Re: Tiling windows

laurent laffont
2011/5/25 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>
Excelent!

IMHO, it's better that's not integrated to TaskBarMorph, lets it free :)
For example, click in unused space of the TWMBar and you can move it around you wish in the screen, similar to use DockingBarMorph>>beFloating. I attach screenshot.

Laurent, I improved (or not? :)) your work, if you think that is bad for TWM simply undo it ;)

Feel free to play. Just try to write tests for TilingWM please :)

For TWMBar I'm not sure this will be a final GUI. Ideally all will be keyboard driven, I have to play with KeyMapping.

I also think the UI theme Patrick has cleaned fits better with TilingWM:

To try it:

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'PBASandbox';
package: 'PBSandbox';
load.
StandardUITheme beCurrent.

See screenshot.

Patrick, could you push this with a nice package name ?

Laurent.

2011/5/25 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Now there's a button to open the world menu.

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

twm.png (525K) Download Attachment

Re: Tiling windows

Gastón Dall' Oglio

2011/5/25 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
2011/5/25 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>
Excelent!

IMHO, it's better that's not integrated to TaskBarMorph, lets it free :)
For example, click in unused space of the TWMBar and you can move it around you wish in the screen, similar to use DockingBarMorph>>beFloating. I attach screenshot.

Laurent, I improved (or not? :)) your work, if you think that is bad for TWM simply undo it ;)

Feel free to play. Just try to write tests for TilingWM please :)

ok. I load a new version to ss. Now teh button tile visible windows only. I fixed the test...

For TWMBar I'm not sure this will be a final GUI. Ideally all will be keyboard driven, I have to play with KeyMapping.

yes, sure.

I also think the UI theme Patrick has cleaned fits better with TilingWM:

To try it:

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'PBASandbox';
package: 'PBSandbox';
load.
StandardUITheme beCurrent.

See screenshot.

I try, yes.

Patrick, could you push this with a nice package name ?

Laurent.

2011/5/25 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Now there's a button to open the world menu.

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Re: Tiling windows

laurent laffont
Gastòn,

I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it brings fun :)

Some comment:

- tiling browsers don't work any more with OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore but a Browser

- you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:

#tileVisibleWindows
#tileWindows  (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
#tileVisibleWorkspaces
#tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces

- I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow

- I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage

- Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work effectively :)

- Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !

I've merge some of your changes in TWM-LaurentLaffont.5

2011/5/26 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Gastòn,

I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it brings fun :)

Some comment:

- tiling browsers don't work any more with OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore but a Browser

In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method with reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.

- you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:

#tileVisibleWindows
#tileWindows  (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
#tileVisibleWorkspaces
#tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces

Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this is that the word was redundant now visible.

- I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow

- I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage

Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...

- Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work effectively :)

yes

- Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !

it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for example.

I've merge some of your changes in TWM-LaurentLaffont.5

:)

> [...]

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Re: Tiling windows

laurent laffont
2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>

2011/5/26 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Gastòn,

I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it brings fun :)

Some comment:

- tiling browsers don't work any more with OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore but a Browser

In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method with reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.

I see. I will refactor this so it will be compatible with Core and still work with OB (quite easy).

- you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:

#tileVisibleWindows
#tileWindows  (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
#tileVisibleWorkspaces
#tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces

Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this is that the word was redundant now visible.

I will think about this.

- I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow

- I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage

Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...

Don't hesitate to ask.

- Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work effectively :)

yes

- Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !

it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for example.

Indeed I've disable TaskBarMorph in my image as it's useless now :)

Laurent.

> [...]

> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Re: Tiling windows

Gastón Dall' Oglio

2011/5/26 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>

2011/5/26 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Gastòn,

I've downloaded the new version - thanks a lot for contributing, it brings fun :)

Some comment:

- tiling browsers don't work any more with OB, WMWithAnOBBrowserAndDockingBarsTest does not create an OBBrowser anymore but a Browser

In 1.3 core there's not OBBrowser, then, when trying to modify a method with reference to OBBrowser obtained an error. So I remove their references.

I see. I will refactor this so it will be compatible with Core and still work with OB (quite easy).

This would be great, because now I think, in a core are never the most useful tools (Seaside control panel, memory monitor), and TWM should know about them in some way (you apply a pattern to solve this problem?).

- you've changed TilingWM>>visibleWindows to TilingWM>>windows. The "visible" was not innocent, because tileVisibleWindows cares about windows that are not minimized. On the other side, tileWorkspaces tile all workspaces, minimized or not. So I think in final we may have:

#tileVisibleWindows
#tileWindows  (maybe #tileAllWindows is a better name)
#tileVisibleWorkspaces
#tileWorkspaces / #tileAllWorkspaces

Please, see you the comment in de versión 5 of de package, "Now all botton tile visibles windows.". I think it's better to just get organized visible windows, even when done on a particular kind (such as workspaces). For this is that the word was redundant now visible.

I will think about this.

When you have many windows, minimizing them is the way to let them "suspended", therefore I think it should be organized only visibles.

- I will add tests to TWMBar finally as it seems to grow

- I want TilingWM to be 100% test coverage

Sorry, give me some time for learn about this...

Don't hesitate to ask.

ok.

- Balloon and spaces for TWMBar is a good idea - we need to make this work effectively :)

yes

- Great to have all the buttons per type of applications !

it is still very rudimentary way to filter the windows, but it was helpful to learn about the hierarchy of classes 1.3, in regard to the Models for example.

Indeed I've disable TaskBarMorph in my image as it's useless now :)

Great!!!

I'll be honest, this is my first serious development in Squeak / Pharo, so it gives me much encouragement your comment, there is still much to learn and improve, but it is very encouraging to devote time to something that might be useful to others.

Laurent.

I've merge some of your changes in TWM-LaurentLaffont.5

:)

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

2011/5/26 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>

2011/5/25 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
2011/5/25 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>
Excelent!

IMHO, it's better that's not integrated to TaskBarMorph, lets it free :)
For example, click in unused space of the TWMBar and you can move it around you wish in the screen, similar to use DockingBarMorph>>beFloating. I attach screenshot.

Laurent, I improved (or not? :)) your work, if you think that is bad for TWM simply undo it ;)

Feel free to play. Just try to write tests for TilingWM please :)

ok. I load a new version to ss. Now teh button tile visible windows only. I fixed the test...

For TWMBar I'm not sure this will be a final GUI. Ideally all will be keyboard driven, I have to play with KeyMapping.

yes, sure.

I also think the UI theme Patrick has cleaned fits better with TilingWM:

To try it:

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'PBASandbox';
package: 'PBSandbox';
load.
StandardUITheme beCurrent.

See screenshot.

I try, yes.

Patrick, could you push this with a nice package name ?

Laurent.

2011/5/25 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
Now there's a button to open the world menu.

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Re: Tiling windows

laurent laffont
- Now loads in PharoCore
- more tests
- fill all space even if number of windows is not square.

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Now added top window placement à la OptimizeLayout.

Need to find nice icons. Someone ?

Laurent.

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Now with icons, and thanks Patrick for the icon generation idea :)

Laurent.

2011/5/27 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Ohhh look good and simple! I would suggest you use these renovated, but it's too late, and also do not know if there may be some licensing issue:

A question, the correct way to load external icons in the image is used ThemeIcons>>createIconMethodsFromDirectory: directory? that particular class should be loaded? PharoUIThemeIcons or TWMBar, for example? in class o instance side?

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

version 11:    Added screenshot of bounding of visible windows

test comming soon, give some time :)

2011/5/27 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>
> [...]

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Re: Tiling windows

laurent laffont

2011/5/27 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>
version 11:    Added screenshot of bounding of visible windows

No problem. Tell me when it's ready I will check & merge.

Laurent.

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Well, I coded 2 test, that's something: (
Laurent, at this point both my changes in your work must be something heavy to do, but the less load my package in a clean image to see the idea of keeping the UserTiles:)

Thanks ;)

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

vonbecmann
Hi,

TilingWM class>>numberOfLastUsedWindows was returning a boolean instead of a number. therefore i submitted a fix with a small test
could you check it?

the idea is awesome!!

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Thanks a lot Bernardo.

Laurent.

2011/5/28 Gastón Dall' Oglio <[hidden email]>
Well, I coded 2 test, that's something: (
Laurent, at this point both my changes in your work must be something heavy to do, but the less load my package in a clean image to see the idea of keeping the UserTiles:)

OK Gastón I see the functionality.

I will merge and refactor as I have some ideas on it (maybe tomorrow I will be busy today).

Thanks a lot for the tests !!!

Laurent.

Thanks ;)

> [...]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do not understand.

how can I get a browser?

Hey, this is just a start :)  I will add a button to open the world menu.

once this is one is created I get the browser full screen
but then how do I get a chance to create a new one if I want.

dividing the browsers based on the screen size results in rather small browsers :)

yes, but because browsers waste space IMHO. Maybe we could get rid of windows borders when tiled.

Laurent.

Stef

> TWMBar new open.
>
> The real manager is TilingWM. Try:
>
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileVisibleWindows.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileBrowsers.
> (TilingWM forWorld: World) tileWorkspaces.

Thanks. If there are more ideas and I can encode (and test:), I will send them to you.