Time and System millisecondsToRun

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

Why there is a difference answer in the following expressions ? (tested
on GS 3.5.1 and 3.3.7)

Time millisecondsToRun: [(Delay forSeconds: 4) wait]. "answer 4000  ->
computing the delay time "

System millisecondsToRun: [(Delay forSeconds: 4) wait]. "answer 0 -> NOT
computing the delay time"

It seems a difference in how time is computed:
System use primitive 178 and Time use primitive 13.

So Time check actual time difference while System check CPU time
consumed then excluding delays.

regards,
bruno

Re: Time and System millisecondsToRun

GLASS mailing list
Time class>>millisecondsElapsedTime: is measuring elapsed (“wall clock”) time, including time that other processes are running and the process is waiting for I/O or other tasks to finish. There is no method #millisecondsToRun: in Time.

System is measuring CPU time used by the process, excluding time waiting for semaphores.

> On Aug 27, 2020, at 2:15 PM, bruno buzzi brassesco via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Why there is a difference answer in the following expressions ? (tested on GS 3.5.1 and 3.3.7)
>
> Time millisecondsToRun: [(Delay forSeconds: 4) wait]. "answer 4000  -> computing the delay time "
>
> System millisecondsToRun: [(Delay forSeconds: 4) wait]. "answer 0 -> NOT computing the delay time"
>
> It seems a difference in how time is computed:
> System use primitive 178 and Time use primitive 13.
>
> So Time check actual time difference while System check CPU time consumed then excluding delays.
>
> regards,
> bruno

Re: Time and System millisecondsToRun

GLASS mailing list
Time class>>millisecondsToRun: is a Pharo compatibility method (the clue
is that the method is in the *squeak method category) and is implemented
to use Time class>>millisecondsElapsedTime: (the clue is that that
method is not in a package and is in the Measuring category of a
GemStone kernel class).

Dale