Time for a new trunk image?

Casey Ransberger-2
The image at ftp.squeak.org/trunk is starting to look long in the tooth; it takes a while to update, and seems to need updating to pick up the Cog compatibility changes. I'm guessing that lots of us are Cogging at this point, so it might make sense to put a new image up with all of the recent trunk changes.

Just a thought.

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Time for a new trunk image?

Bert Freudenberg

On 19.08.2010, at 09:12, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> The image at ftp.squeak.org/trunk is starting to look long in the tooth; it takes a while to update, and seems to need updating to pick up the Cog compatibility changes. I'm guessing that lots of us are Cogging at this point, so it might make sense to put a new image up with all of the recent trunk changes.
>
> Just a thought.

Just do it.

- Bert -

Re: Time for a new trunk image?

Casey Ransberger-2
Oh right, I have updates access, don't I ? Heh *blush*

On Aug 19, 2010, at 1:45 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19.08.2010, at 09:12, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>
>> The image at ftp.squeak.org/trunk is starting to look long in the tooth; it takes a while to update, and seems to need updating to pick up the Cog compatibility changes. I'm guessing that lots of us are Cogging at this point, so it might make sense to put a new image up with all of the recent trunk changes.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> Just do it.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Time for a new trunk image?

Randal L. Schwartz

Casey> Oh right, I have updates access, don't I ? Heh *blush*

I would suggest that whatever image you grab, make sure it doesn't have
any obvious fragility.  Not sure how to do that... just expressing a
desire. :)

Maybe grab the image, run the tests, make sure a sensible number of them
pass.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Time for a new trunk image?

Hannes Hirzel
Whom do I have to thank for putting out
http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip

This allowed me to do a test
   SmalltalkImage unloadAllKnownPackages
easily

Result negativ so far....

--Hannes

On 8/19/10, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Casey> Oh right, I have updates access, don't I ? Heh *blush*
>
> I would suggest that whatever image you grab, make sure it doesn't have
> any obvious fragility.  Not sure how to do that... just expressing a
> desire. :)
>
> Maybe grab the image, run the tests, make sure a sensible number of them
> pass.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Time for a new trunk image?

Casey Ransberger-2
That's me; when you say "result negative" I assume that means things went well? If not let me know ASAP and I'll look into it.

On Aug 23, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whom do I have to thank for putting out
> http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip
>
> This allowed me to do a test
>   SmalltalkImage unloadAllKnownPackages
> easily
>
> Result negativ so far....
>
> --Hannes

>> Casey> Oh right, I have updates access, don't I ? Heh *blush*
>>
>> I would suggest that whatever image you grab, make sure it doesn't have
>> any obvious fragility.  Not sure how to do that... just expressing a
>> desire. :)
>>
>> Maybe grab the image, run the tests, make sure a sensible number of them
>> pass.
>>
>> --
>> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
>> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
>> Smalltalk/Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
>> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Time for a new trunk image?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Casey for doing the updated trunk image. It is convenient to have it.

It allows people to quickly catch up to do tests with unloading
packages for example

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-August/152613.html

--Hannes