Time for a release?

12

Time for a release?

Nicolas Petton
Hey guys,

Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
to schedule a release (0.10).

I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
to see included too?

About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.

Nico

Re: Time for a release?

Bernat Romagosa
Nobody answered... I just want to say that maybe the release could include the stepping debugger, once it's been properly tested.

IMHO, that'd be quite a MAJOR release feature :)

Cheers,

2013/2/13 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
Hey guys,

Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
to schedule a release (0.10).

I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
to see included too?

About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.

Nico

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Time for a release?

Nicolas Petton
Hi Bernat!

While I agree that it would really be nice, I don't want to spend too
much time on the old IDE while Helios is in progress.

Maybe including the stepping debugger can be reused later for Helios
though, so we'll see :)

Nico

Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> writes:

> Nobody answered... I just want to say that maybe the release could include
> the stepping debugger, once it's been properly tested.
>
> IMHO, that'd be quite a MAJOR release feature :)
>
> Cheers,
>

> 2013/2/13 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
>> to schedule a release (0.10).
>>
>> I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
>> for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
>> to see included too?
>>
>> About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
>> will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
>> then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.
>>
>> Nico
>>
>> --

> Bernat Romagosa.

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Accessing Firebase from Amber

Andy Burnett
The Firebase key-value store looks really interesting.  It seems to give us the equivalent of a multiuser, realtime, Dictionary object, with security etc.

I would love to create a Model class to abstract away all of the persistence mechanics - a bit like using Gemstone.  What I am not sure about is what to include in the HTML scaffolding, and what would logically go in some Amber classes.

Could anyone give some suggestions about how they would implement e following JavaScript in Amber? In particularly, i am not sure how one handles the creation of callback functions in Amber.  Note: I am assuming that one would load the Firebase script library in the HTML, but perhaps that isn't necessary either

var myDataRef = new Firebase('https://xxx.firebaseio-demo.com/');
myDataRef.on('child_added', funtion(snapshot, previousChildName) {
var message = snapshot.val();
console.log(message.name + " : " + message.text);
}));
myDataRef.push({name: 'myName', text: 'js interop rocks'});

Re: Accessing Firebase from Amber

Jacob Wagner
  Hi Andy.  I was also considering using firebase with amber.  Here are a few tips for getting closer to running your code.  Note that due to a few changes to amber smalltalk, I'm not sure if this still works, I've been using 0.9.1 until the release,

  myBlockCallback := [:snapshot :previousChildName | block code here ].

myDataRef := Firebase newValue: 'https://xxx.firebaseio-demo.com/'.

  myDataRef on: 'child_added' value: myBlockCallback.

  Here's some comments on my above code:  First, you can use a block for a function, second, you can use newValue in the case of "new Firebase(xxx)" , third, in the last line you can see a multiple argument function call .  The name of "value:" could be anything you'd like, since javascript does not have a name for the 2nd , 3rd, etc. argument to the function call.

  Also, keep in mind, as of older versions of amber you can always wrap some javascript code in < >  .  I believe this is being phased out, however.
  Sorry for the incomplete tips.  Hopefully it gets you a bit closer to what you are trying to achieve, maybe someone else can fill in the gaps :)

<zenchess@gmail.com>

Re: Time for a release?

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Nico,

having a new release with the new compiler and all the other fixes would be great.

However, there are a few problems left with compiling some source files with amberc right now starting with Kernel-Objects.st.
I'll open an issue for this on GitHub.

Merging the grunt branch depends on what functionality is expected to be working in the next release.
Regarding the stepping debugger I think that it should be tested heavily before making it the default debugger.

After those problems are sorted out we should go ahead and make the release.

Best,
Manfred

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys,

Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
to schedule a release (0.10).

I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
to see included too?

About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.

Nico

Re: Accessing Firebase from Amber

Andy Burnett
Hello,

Thanks very much for the help. I am getting much closer, but it doesn't quite work.

Inspecting Firebase newValue: 'https://xvmvy8px9vs.firebaseio-demo.com/'.  Shows a JSProxy that appears to be correctly configured.  However, attempting to assign that, i.e.

tmp99 := Firebase newValue: 'https://xvmvy8px9vs.firebaseio-demo.com/'.  Brings up the debugger, with it complaining about nil value.

If I define tmp99 in the Chrome console, I can then (with Amber) use it for things like tmp99 set: 'this is the value'.  It then correctly writes to Firebase - which is excellent!

So, can anyone shed some light on whatever I am doing wrong?

By the way, I am using 0.9.1

Cheers
Andy

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM, Zenchess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Quick update.

It seems as though there is something wrong with the workspace I am using. It won't event accept

tmp1 := 'hello'.

Clearly, I need to sort that out first!

Cheers
Andy

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

xekoukou
|tmp1|
tmp1:='hello'.

18 Φεβ 2013, 2:17 π.μ., ο/η Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> έγραψε:

[...]

Success - in a very limited way ;-)

The following code loads the Firebase library, creates an instance of a datastore on their server, and writes the data.  The next step will be to implement the callback functions, and start updating the display.  The great thing about Firebase is that it does realtime updates to all connected clients, and we don't have to worry about the servers at all!

|myDataRef|
myDataRef := Firebase newValue: 'https://abc.firebaseio.com'.
myDataRef set: #{'key name'->'value at key'}.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Xekoukoulotakis Apostolos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I agree. The stepping debugger probably won't make it for this release.
The next step is probably to kill the remaining bugs :)

Nico

Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Nico,
>
> having a new release with the new compiler and all the other fixes would be
> great.
>
> However, there are a few problems left with compiling some source files
> with amberc right now starting with Kernel-Objects.st.
> I'll open an issue for this on GitHub.
>
> Merging the grunt branch depends on what functionality is expected to be
> working in the next release.
> Regarding the stepping debugger I think that it should be tested heavily
> before making it the default debugger.
>
> After those problems are sorted out we should go ahead and make the release.
>
> Best,
> Manfred
>

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
>> to schedule a release (0.10).
>>
>> I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
>> for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
>> to see included too?
>>
>> About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
>> will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
>> then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.
>>
>> Nico

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Time for a release?

Tom Rake
I like the release often concept! When a big task is done it it time for a release.

I have been working of my little task or Google Charts examples, I sync to master branch updating every few weeks or so. I got caught by the  Cant have <javascript> and  Smalltalk  in the same method only changes a few weeks ago but I quickly cleaned up my work. With the mention of release I took about week to clean up my git tree write documentation and review what feature I really can finish and those I can put off and squeaked out a release of Google Charts.

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:52:17 AM UTC-5, nicolas petton wrote:
Hey guys,

Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
to schedule a release (0.10).

I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
to see included too?

About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.

Nico

Re: Time for a release?

sebastianconcept
sorry didn't catch this one earlier.

By all means release.

It was hard work to reach this milestone and we need to yield results.

If we wait to stepping debugger and/or Helios for that we will feel a big hit on our momentum.

If we release now, we'll have some time to mature the new compiler for the time the real debugger comes.

I say we keep it warm and release

On Feb 13, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Nicolas Petton wrote:

Hey guys,

Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
to schedule a release (0.10).

I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
to see included too?

About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.

Nico

Re: Time for a release?

Herby Vojčík
Hi!

Well, you know I think the release should happen asap, since the last
one was long long ago and users deserve all the new things.

I'd like to see #353 fixed and if it is possible have new grunt build
systems included before the actual release. But if the latter would take
time, fixing #353 is I think enough for release.

Herby

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Hi Bernat!
>
> While I agree that it would really be nice, I don't want to spend too
> much time on the old IDE while Helios is in progress.
>
> Maybe including the stepping debugger can be reused later for Helios
> though, so we'll see :)
>
> Nico
>
> Bernat Romagosa<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> Nobody answered... I just want to say that maybe the release could include
>> the stepping debugger, once it's been properly tested.
>>
>> IMHO, that'd be quite a MAJOR release feature :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> 2013/2/13 Nicolas Petton<[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> Now that the new compiler has been pushed into master, I'd really like
>>> to schedule a release (0.10).
>>>
>>> I'd like to see the grunt branch merged for that, but maybe it can wait
>>> for the next release? Is there anything else missing that you would like
>>> to see included too?
>>>
>>> About Helios, I really don't think it can be part of the release, but it
>>> will be the main focus of the next one. As soon as Helios will be ready,
>>> then I'd like to release Amber 1.0.
>>>
>>> Nico
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Time for a release?

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi everybody,

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

Well, you know I think the release should happen asap, since the last one was long long ago and users deserve all the new things.

I'd like to see #353 fixed and if it is possible have new grunt build systems included before the actual release. But if the latter would take time, fixing #353 is I think enough for release.

Herby

it would also be nice to have #345 [1] fixed before the actual release.
Based on this I could probably make a first version of the grunt build system which is able to compile all Smalltalk sources.

Best,
Manfred

Re: Time for a release?

Hannes Hirzel
On 2/28/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Well, you know I think the release should happen asap,

+1

since the last

> one was long long ago and users deserve all the new things.
>
> I'd like to see #353 fixed and if it is possible have new grunt build
> systems included before the actual release. But if the latter would take
> time, fixing #353 is I think enough for release.
>
> Herby
>
> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> Hi Bernat!
>>
>> While I agree that it would really be nice, I don't want to spend too
>> much time on the old IDE while Helios is in progress.
>>
>> Maybe including the stepping debugger can be reused later for Helios
>> though, so we'll see :)
>>
>> Nico
>>
>> Bernat Romagosa<[hidden email]>  writes:
>>
>>> Nobody answered... I just want to say that maybe the release could
>>> include
>>> the stepping debugger, once it's been properly tested.
>>>
>>> IMHO, that'd be quite a MAJOR release feature :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>>> --
>>> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Time for a release?

Nicolas Petton
If everything goes fine, I will release this week.

Does anyone want to prepare an announcement? (Göran is incredibly good at that).
The changelog will be huge :)

Nico

On Mar 4, 2013, at 3:14 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/28/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Well, you know I think the release should happen asap,
>
> +1
>

> since the last
>> one was long long ago and users deserve all the new things.
>>
>> I'd like to see #353 fixed and if it is possible have new grunt build
>> systems included before the actual release. But if the latter would take
>> time, fixing #353 is I think enough for release.
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> Hi Bernat!
>>>
>>> While I agree that it would really be nice, I don't want to spend too
>>> much time on the old IDE while Helios is in progress.
>>>
>>> Maybe including the stepping debugger can be reused later for Helios
>>> though, so we'll see :)
>>>
>>> Nico

>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Time for a release?

philippeback
There must be more information about the examples in the distro.

e.g. Google charts, processing (which fails at the moment, kind of a
DNU somewhere), the presentations (one of them isn't working I think
and one needs to dig to understand how to use them - the fact that <-
and -> are mentioned on the second slide for a beginner isn't helping,
twitterwall). Not sure if webos still makes sense. There are still
mentions of JTalk in READMEs etc.

If you give me commit rights, I can fix some of those. Or I can just
do that on my fork.

Phil

2013/3/5 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>:

> If everything goes fine, I will release this week.
>
> Does anyone want to prepare an announcement? (Göran is incredibly good at that).
> The changelog will be huge :)
>
> Nico
>
> On Mar 4, 2013, at 3:14 AM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2/28/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Well, you know I think the release should happen asap,
>>
>> +1
>>

>> since the last
>>> one was long long ago and users deserve all the new things.
>>>
>>> I'd like to see #353 fixed and if it is possible have new grunt build
>>> systems included before the actual release. But if the latter would take
>>> time, fixing #353 is I think enough for release.
>>>
>>> Herby

>>> --
>>>

>> --

> Nicolas Petton
> http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Time for a release?

Nicolas Petton

On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:24 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you give me commit rights, I can fix some of those. Or I can just
> do that on my fork.

Yes, please do that on your fork. Then you can send us pull requests.

Cheers,
Nico

Re: Time for a release?

philippeback
Yes, I have been doing that. I wasn't using git with pull requests so far.
Have been learning my lesson.

Having a date fo a podcast?

Phil

2013/3/8 Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]>:

> On Mar 5, 2013, at 11:24 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> If you give me commit rights, I can fix some of those. Or I can just
>> do that on my fork.
>
> Yes, please do that on your fork. Then you can send us pull requests.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

12