Timer for Windows service

Carl Gundel-2
What is the best way to code using a timer for:

1) a Windows service (no windows)
2) driving output to a printer (must execute in the UI process)

-Carl

Re: Timer for Windows service

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Carl,

Maybe I'm a little slow today but I don't understand your question, can you elaborate?

Lou

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:06:48 PM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
What is the best way to code using a timer for:

1) a Windows service (no windows)
2) driving output to a printer (must execute in the UI process)

-Carl

Re: Timer for Windows service

Carl Gundel-2
Hi Lou,

Well, I'm having trouble finding timer examples what don't rely on GUI related classes.  The Windows service will not have a GUI, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Thanks,

-Carl

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:37:52 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Carl,

Maybe I'm a little slow today but I don't understand your question, can you elaborate?

Lou

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:06:48 PM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
What is the best way to code using a timer for:

1) a Windows service (no windows)
2) driving output to a printer (must execute in the UI process)

-Carl

Re: Timer for Windows service

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Carl,

I'm still not sure what you want to do or how you want to use the/a timer, so what I am about to suggest may be way off base.  There is the simple Delay class.  You can do something like this:

| delay |

delay := Delay forSeconds: 2.
[
 delay wait.
 "do something."
"some code that will answer true to keep going and false to stop."
] whileTrue.

Delay can also take #forMilliseconds:.

The above can be in a separate fork of any priority.  Does this help?

Lou

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 3:21:36 PM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
Hi Lou,

Well, I'm having trouble finding timer examples what don't rely on GUI related classes.  The Windows service will not have a GUI, so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

Thanks,

-Carl

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:37:52 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Carl,

Maybe I'm a little slow today but I don't understand your question, can you elaborate?

Lou

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:06:48 PM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
What is the best way to code using a timer for:

1) a Windows service (no windows)
2) driving output to a printer (must execute in the UI process)

-Carl

Re: Timer for Windows service

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:51:59 PM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
Thanks.  Yes, I've been considering using the Delay class but I would prefer a timer.

Time millisecondsToRun: [...] is a timer. But I doubt you want to time something.
Why don't you elaborate on how you want to use this "whatever you are after"?

Re: Timer for Windows service

Carl Gundel-2
Richard,

I need to periodically examine a list of objects to perform work on.  I don't need to measure time to execute anything.

So, I need a timer tick, and it should not rely on GUI code.

Thanks,

-Carl

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:23:21 PM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
I need to periodically examine a list of objects to perform work on.  I don't need to measure time to execute anything.
So, I need a timer tick, and it should not rely on GUI code.

As Marten says, a Delay in a forked (background) process is the idiom. You may also want to evaluate AbtWorkQueue in the context of "a list of objects to perform work on".

Re: Timer for Windows service

Louis LaBrunda
Hey Carl,

It seems the other guys have also gotten you on to using a delay.  If I remember correctly (it has been a long time) I seem to remember a timer part example but if you look under the covers I think it was built on top of a delay.  So making your own loop with a delay in it should do the trick.

Lou