Tip: Recovering a broken image

Bernat Romagosa
Hi list,

I've just recovered a broken image that crashed upon startup. There was some problem with a SerialPort that stayed open and tried to write/read into a physical port that didn't exist no more, or something of the sort.

So here's the magic line:

$ bin/myVm shared/MyImage.image eval "SmalltalkImage backupTo: 'recover'"

This makes a copy of the image into a new image called "recover.image", but as the documentation states:

Unlike #saveAs: do not transfer the default execution to the new image.

So there you go!

Hope it helps someone else. :)

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Tip: Recovering a broken image

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Bernat,

Interesting, I never heard of #backupTo:

But if recover.image is a copy of MyImage.image, and that last one failed to start up, why then would the copy not have the same problem ?

Sven

On 24 Oct 2013, at 13:32, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've just recovered a broken image that crashed upon startup. There was some problem with a SerialPort that stayed open and tried to write/read into a physical port that didn't exist no more, or something of the sort.
>
> So here's the magic line:
>
> $ bin/myVm shared/MyImage.image eval "SmalltalkImage backupTo: 'recover'"
>
> This makes a copy of the image into a new image called "recover.image", but as the documentation states:
>
> Unlike #saveAs: do not transfer the default execution to the new image.
>
> So there you go!
>
> Hope it helps someone else. :)
>
> --
> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Tip: Recovering a broken image

Bernat Romagosa

Because:

”Unlike #saveAs: do not transfer the default execution to the new image."

So the startup and shutdown scripts won't be executed :)

(Or that's what I understood)

On Oct 24, 2013 1:54 PM, "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bernat,

Interesting, I never heard of #backupTo:

But if recover.image is a copy of MyImage.image, and that last one failed to start up, why then would the copy not have the same problem ?

Sven

On 24 Oct 2013, at 13:32, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've just recovered a broken image that crashed upon startup. There was some problem with a SerialPort that stayed open and tried to write/read into a physical port that didn't exist no more, or something of the sort.
>
> So here's the magic line:
>
> $ bin/myVm shared/MyImage.image eval "SmalltalkImage backupTo: 'recover'"
>
> This makes a copy of the image into a new image called "recover.image", but as the documentation states:
>
> Unlike #saveAs: do not transfer the default execution to the new image.
>
> So there you go!
>
> Hope it helps someone else. :)
>
> --
> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Tip: Recovering a broken image

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Yes, I understand - I read that, but the next time you start your new recover.image they will run again, no ? Resulting in the same problem as the original image, or not ?

On 24 Oct 2013, at 14:34, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because:
>
> ”Unlike #saveAs: do not transfer the default execution to the new image."
>
> So the startup and shutdown scripts won't be executed :)
>
> (Or that's what I understood)
> On Oct 24, 2013 1:54 PM, "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Bernat,
>
> Interesting, I never heard of #backupTo:
>
> But if recover.image is a copy of MyImage.image, and that last one failed to start up, why then would the copy not have the same problem ?
>
> Sven
>
> On 24 Oct 2013, at 13:32, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I've just recovered a broken image that crashed upon startup. There was some problem with a SerialPort that stayed open and tried to write/read into a physical port that didn't exist no more, or something of the sort.
> >
> > So here's the magic line:
> >
> > $ bin/myVm shared/MyImage.image eval "SmalltalkImage backupTo: 'recover'"
> >
> > This makes a copy of the image into a new image called "recover.image", but as the documentation states:
> >
> > Unlike #saveAs: do not transfer the default execution to the new image.
> >
> > So there you go!
> >
> > Hope it helps someone else. :)
> >
> > --
> > Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Tip: Recovering a broken image

Bernat Romagosa
Yes, but you'll have the opportunity to fix whatever broke it before saving and opening the image again.

--
Bernat Romagosa.