Tips for automating ToGo deployment?

Tim M
Anyone have any tips on automating .exe deployment?

Currently I have:

ApplicationDeploymentWizard new model: (CCLogViewerSessionManager owningPackage
aspectValue: #imageStripper); deploy

Which seems to start out correctly, but I get an OK message box at the end
prompting about the deployment image must close. Is there anyway to override
that or not show it at all?

Tim

Re: Tips for automating ToGo deployment?

Andy Bower
Tim,

> Currently I have:
>
> ApplicationDeploymentWizard new model: (CCLogViewerSessionManager
> owningPackage aspectValue: #imageStripper); deploy
>

> Which seems to start out correctly, but I get an OK message box at
> the end prompting about the deployment image must close. Is there
> anyway to override that or not show it at all?

This has come up a couple of times in the past. I've raised an
enhancement request (#2197) to optionally remove the final message box
so it should be addressed shortly.

--
Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Tips for automating ToGo deployment?

Stefan Schmiedl
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:50:20 +0000, Tim M wrote:

> Anyone have any tips on automating .exe deployment?
>
> Currently I have:
>
> ApplicationDeploymentWizard new model: (CCLogViewerSessionManager owningPackage
> aspectValue: #imageStripper); deploy

Tim,

I have a deployment image which is basically a fresh install
plus the following package. I've switched off the option for
saving the image before deployment, too.

What I do save, is the package I'm working on, so that I can
load it into the clean image with prestart.st containing

|pkg mgr app|
[(Delay forSeconds: 1) wait.
app := 'kursfilter-csv'.
mgr := PackageManager current.
mgr deployPackage: app from: 'b:\xss\',app,'.pac'] fork

This allows time for completely starting the application
before loading the application package.

HTH
s.

| package |
package := Package name: 'deployment'.
package paxVersion: 0; basicComment: ''.

package methodNames
        add: #PackageManager -> #deployPackage:;
        add: #PackageManager -> #deployPackage:from:;
        add: #PackageManager -> #reinstallPackage:;
        add: #PackageManager -> #uninstallPackage:;
        yourself.

package binaryGlobalNames: (Set new yourself).

package globalAliases: (Set new yourself).

package allResourceNames: (Set new yourself).

package setPrerequisites: (IdentitySet new
        add: '..\deploy\Object Arts\Dolphin\Lagoon\Application Deployment Kit';
        add: '..\deploy\Object Arts\Dolphin\Base\Dolphin';
        yourself).

package!

"Class Definitions"!

"Global Aliases"!

"Loose Methods"!

!PackageManager methodsFor!

deployPackage: aPackageName
        self deployPackage: aPackageName
       from: (self packageNamed: aPackageName) packageFileName!

deployPackage: aPackageName from: aPath
        | pkg |
        pkg := self packageNamed: aPackageName ifNone: [(self install: aPath) last].
        [self uninstall: pkg] ensure:
                        [(ApplicationDeploymentWizard
                                createOn: ((self install: aPath) last
           aspectValue: #imageStripper)) deploy]!

reinstallPackage: aPackageName
        | pkg path |
        pkg := self packageNamed: aPackageName.
        path := pkg packageFileName.
        [self uninstall: pkg] ensure: [self install: path]!

uninstallPackage: aPackageName
        | pkg |
        pkg := self packageNamed: aPackageName ifNone: [^self].
        self uninstall: pkg! !
!PackageManager categoriesFor: #deployPackage:!public! !
!PackageManager categoriesFor: #deployPackage:from:!public! !
!PackageManager categoriesFor: #reinstallPackage:!public! !
!PackageManager categoriesFor: #uninstallPackage:!public! !

"End of package definition"!

"Source Globals"!

"Classes"!

"Binary Globals"!

"Resources"!

Re: Tips for automating ToGo deployment?

Tim M
Hi Stefan,

> I have a deployment image which is basically a fresh install plus the
> following package. I've switched off the option for saving the image
> before deployment, too.

Thanks, that looks slightly similar to what I have (so I'm on the right track)
- however how do you get around the prompt at the end saying the the development
image will close?

I recall someone commenting that this might have appeared in D6 - is this
something you run in D6 or is it from D5?

Andy commented that the next D6 patch might resolve this - as a workaround
if I could find where this happens and modify it - but its lower down on
my priority queue.

As an aside - I almost have all of this assembled into something I will release
under the banner - SmallCruise, a series of packages and instructions about
running with CruiseControl.net for automating continous builds in Dolphin.

I've shied away from using using prestart.st - as I like the syntax checking
in the main environment however I might revisit that decision - I think the
trick is to get it packaged up and see if anyone else finds it useful.

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 10:47:52 +0000, Tim M wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
>> I have a deployment image which is basically a fresh install plus the
>> following package. I've switched off the option for saving the image
>> before deployment, too.
>
> Thanks, that looks slightly similar to what I have (so I'm on the right
> track) - however how do you get around the prompt at the end saying the the
> development image will close?

heh... I took the code from the wrong folder :-)
I have another package somewhere which replaces the method
opening the dialog.

Do a search for methods containing the text of the dialog box
("will now exit" did it for me, IIRC) and just delete the code
creating the window.

> I recall someone commenting that this might have appeared in D6 - is this
> something you run in D6 or is it from D5?

The "will now exit" message was already in D5, my automation code
has started to grow after switching to D6.

s.