Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

EstebanLM
Hi,

That.
I’m also willing to try another service if you find something better, but I find discord cool enough.
Some remarks:

- I actually like Slack. The problem is the amount of information lost because they do not display more than 10k lines (or we pay, and is super expensive).
- No, plain #irc is not an option. Community has talked… and it does not works… I have had more productive talks in one month in Slack than 5 years trying #irc.

cheers!
Esteban

Re: Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

abergel
I would not mind moving to Discord. But, what is the plan to kill Slack? Can a Slack project be simply removed?

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Apr 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

That.
I’m also willing to try another service if you find something better, but I find discord cool enough.
Some remarks:

- I actually like Slack. The problem is the amount of information lost because they do not display more than 10k lines (or we pay, and is super expensive).
- No, plain #irc is not an option. Community has talked… and it does not works… I have had more productive talks in one month in Slack than 5 years trying #irc.

cheers!
Esteban

Re: Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

Esteban A. Maringolo
We could shut down Slack team or leave a sticky note in the general
channel saying that we moved everything to Discord.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> I would not mind moving to Discord. But, what is the plan to kill Slack? Can
> a Slack project be simply removed?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> That.
> I’m also willing to try another service if you find something better, but I
> find discord cool enough.
> Some remarks:
>
> - I actually like Slack. The problem is the amount of information lost
> because they do not display more than 10k lines (or we pay, and is super
> expensive).
> - No, plain #irc is not an option. Community has talked… and it does not
> works… I have had more productive talks in one month in Slack than 5 years
> trying #irc.
>
> cheers!
> Esteban

Re: Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We just invited gsoc students and we have the mentors channel running and
> then we shit things down.

We can keep this until the GSOC is finish.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

kilon.alios
That's the solution Unreal followed , they were on Slack , the shut it down and left a message.

Moving to Discord is super easy and it literally takes a minute.  We can leave an invite link to the closed Slack and that's it.
There is no need to wait for a planatery alignment or GSOC. It's far more complicated to setup ah fogbuz account for reporting Pharo bugs. There is also nothing new to learn for its usage. I also have a custom made bot made in Python which we can customize to accommodate for specific needs.

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 at 16:00, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
We could shut down Slack team or leave a sticky note in the general
channel saying that we moved everything to Discord.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> I would not mind moving to Discord. But, what is the plan to kill Slack? Can
> a Slack project be simply removed?
>
> Alexandre
> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> That.
> I’m also willing to try another service if you find something better, but I
> find discord cool enough.
> Some remarks:
>
> - I actually like Slack. The problem is the amount of information lost
> because they do not display more than 10k lines (or we pay, and is super
> expensive).
> - No, plain #irc is not an option. Community has talked… and it does not
> works… I have had more productive talks in one month in Slack than 5 years
> trying #irc.
>
> cheers!
> Esteban

Re: Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

Ben Coman
I was disappointed that conversation didn't pick up in discord after the last announcement.

cheers -ben

P.S.
I'm interested in playing with the discord API.
but I can't get past the first step of OAuth authentication.

I tried a few weeks ago reading through several of the top Pharo OAuth search links,
but it was beyond my ken and I got discouraged.  Perhaps some kind soul
with past OAuth experience would find it easier to crack and open the door
for others to work on the remaining API.

Perhaps we could do something similar to the Google API Service Discovery tool

I got a list of endpoints
from the API chat channel

It would be cool to have a chat channel inside a Pharo Image that could
understand dropped Class>>method links.  Also a group voice channel from within
Pharo might be a good adjunct to a game engine like Ronnie is developing.

more cheers -ben

On 7 Apr 2017, at 19:28, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was disappointed that conversation didn't pick up in discord after the last announcement.

it was… but today is friday, people always talk less :)

Esteban

cheers -ben

P.S.
I'm interested in playing with the discord API.
but I can't get past the first step of OAuth authentication.

I tried a few weeks ago reading through several of the top Pharo OAuth search links,
but it was beyond my ken and I got discouraged.  Perhaps some kind soul
with past OAuth experience would find it easier to crack and open the door
for others to work on the remaining API.

Perhaps we could do something similar to the Google API Service Discovery tool

I got a list of endpoints
from the API chat channel

It would be cool to have a chat channel inside a Pharo Image that could
understand dropped Class>>method links.  Also a group voice channel from within
Pharo might be a good adjunct to a game engine like Ronnie is developing.

more cheers -ben

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 12:25 AM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's the solution Unreal followed , they were on Slack , the shut it down and left a message.

Moving to Discord is super easy and it literally takes a minute.  We can leave an invite link to the closed Slack and that's it.
There is no need to wait for a planatery alignment or GSOC. It's far more complicated to setup ah fogbuz account for reporting Pharo bugs. There is also nothing new to learn for its usage. I also have a custom made bot made in Python which we can customize to accommodate for specific needs.

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017 at 16:00, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
We could shut down Slack team or leave a sticky note in the general
channel saying that we moved everything to Discord.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> I would not mind moving to Discord. But, what is the plan to kill Slack? Can
> a Slack project be simply removed?
>
> Alexandre
> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 8:59 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> That.
> I’m also willing to try another service if you find something better, but I
> find discord cool enough.
> Some remarks:
>
> - I actually like Slack. The problem is the amount of information lost
> because they do not display more than 10k lines (or we pay, and is super
> expensive).
> - No, plain #irc is not an option. Community has talked… and it does not
> works… I have had more productive talks in one month in Slack than 5 years
> trying #irc.
>
> cheers!
> Esteban

Re: Tired of losing messages after 10k. Can we re-discuss moving Slack community to Discord?

Uko2
I have a grain of salt, because I have 4 other teams on Slack, so now I have to use 2 apps. But we have to move on, so let’s embrace the changes :).

Uko