To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Is there any document to get start with bloc and gtoolkit?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

you can start with the Bloc booklet http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Bloc/BLOCDRAFT.pdf ... it is probably a bit outdated, but I think the API hasn't changed that much.
and then in the image itself there is a "Bloc-Examples" package that contains hundreds (thousands?) of examples.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 2:58 PM Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there any document to get start with bloc and gtoolkit?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

HilaireFernandes
Thanks.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

HilaireFernandes
Play a bit with the examples. Help me to write some code in the playground

Several examples are not actionable and seems to be part of some things
bigger. Am I missing somethings?

I see this pragma <script: > Is it intended to be search-able from the
finder or another tool?

By the way, once Bloc was installed on the image, the image does not
save. Crash dump included.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

crash.dmp (139K) Download Attachment

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Hilaire,

We are aware of this issue. Current workaround is to save and then quit without saving.

Juraj

> On Sep 15, 2018, at 14:27, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Le 15/09/2018 à 10:10, Hilaire a écrit :
>> By the way, once Bloc was installed on the image, the image does not
>> save. Crash dump included.
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
>
> <crash.dmp>

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

Tudor Girba-2

Thanks for trying.

The examples are found in methods annotated with <gtExample>. What do you mean that "Several examples are not actionable”? Could you provide examples of that to find out what the problem is?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

HilaireFernandes
Ok, thanks for the tip.

Hilaire

Le 16/09/2018 à 08:00, Tudor Girba a écrit :
> The examples are found in methods annotated with <gtExample>. What do you mean that "Several examples are not actionable”? Could you provide examples of that to find out what the problem is?

For examples, in those classes I don't know what to do:
*
*BlDragExamples or in categories, Bloc-Example>Events

These are code you can read, but no clue what to do with it.
No actionable examples to experiment with to visualize, to edit the code
in live to learn how this work, etc.
It looks like the same for most examples.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I see where the issue comes from.

The <gtExample> are like test methods that return an object. That object serves as example, but it is not necessarily a user facing object.

Look at the picture below showing BlDragExamples>>#draggableInParent.

BlDragExamples>>#draggableInParent calls several other methods that are marked as <gtExample>. In the second pane in the inspector you can see these inner methods being unfolded. These examples show how to setup the inner part, and how the pieces fit together.

In this case, the outmost example is indeed an element that can be played with (you see it here on the third pane), but the inner objects can be as interesting through the various custom views.

This way of working replaces testing and bridges the gap with documentation.

You can learn about it here:

Or if you load the full GToolkit, you can follow tutorials live in the environment by inspecting:

GtInspector openOn: (GtDocumenter editorForPillar: (IceRepository repositoriesLocation / 'feenkcom'/ 'gtoolkit-examples' / 'doc' / 'tutorial' / 'examples-tutorial.pillar’))

Cheers,
Doru

On Sep 16, 2018, at 11:08 AM, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 16/09/2018 à 08:00, Tudor Girba a écrit :
The examples are found in methods annotated with <gtExample>. What do you mean that "Several examples are not actionable”? Could you provide examples of that to find out what the problem is?

For examples, in those classes I don't know what to do:
*
*BlDragExamples or in categories, Bloc-Example>Events

These are code you can read, but no clue what to do with it.
No actionable examples to experiment with to visualize, to edit the code
in live to learn how this work, etc.
It looks like the same for most examples.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

--
www.feenk.com

"We can create beautiful models in a vacuum.
But, to get them effective we have to deal with the inconvenience of reality."

Re: To get started with Gtoolkit and bloc

HilaireFernandes
Thanks for the example and the article.

How do you know to start with #draggableInParent?

I will look more deeply at the links you gave.

I like the story telling in your screenshot. This gives inspiration to
apply to other domain.

Hilaire