ToGo packaging and missing MSVCP60.dll

Antony Blakey-4
Hi,
    I've packaged a ToGo executable for an application, but on NT 4sp6
with IE 4 it complains of a missing MSVCP60.dll. That may not be the
only thing missing, but it makes me wonder what else may be required. I
presume others have had to handle this problem for distibution - any
pointers? I presume I don't need to purchase Visual Studio to deploy
Dolphin apps! I'm going to use the Innosoft installer, and I'm sure that
would handle updating DLLs correctly.

-------------------------
Antony Blakey
mailto:[hidden email]
Linkuistics - The Language of the Web

All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Re: ToGo packaging and missing MSVCP60.dll

Blair McGlashan
Anthony

You wrote in message news:[hidden email]...
> Hi,
>     I've packaged a ToGo executable for an application, but on NT 4sp6
> with IE 4 it complains of a missing MSVCP60.dll. That may not be the
> only thing missing, but it makes me wonder what else may be required. I
> presume others have had to handle this problem for distibution - any
> pointers?...

Dolphin ToGo apps are dependent on the following two C runtime libraries:
1) MSVCRT.DLL
2) MSVCP60.DLL

The former is the base C runtime, the latter is for C++ STL (Standard
Template Library). We had hoped to remove the latter dependency, but it
proved too difficult within the time available. Both of these libraries will
very likely be on users' machines, but it cannot be guaranteed. In
particular Win95 (and perhaps Win98) did not ship with MSVCRT.DLL, but NT
did. MSVCP60.DLL is not a standard OS component, though it might be in
2K/XP. It is used by a lot of apps though. Standard installation components
(either as Microsoft Installer Merge Modules, or .EXE I think) are available
from Microsoft for the C runtime, or you can just ship the libraries that
are installed by the Dolphin installer.

There are no other dependencies apart from standard OS libs - the target OS
should have at least IE4 installed in order to have sufficiently up to date
versions.

>... I presume I don't need to purchase Visual Studio to deploy
> Dolphin apps!

No, of course not :-).

>...I'm going to use the Innosoft installer, and I'm sure that
> would handle updating DLLs correctly.

I'd imagine so.

Regards

Blair