Toggle Local Hierarchy Icon

TimM-3
The little (+) icon in the browsers, looks like something I want (a way to
view inherited methods without having the painful right click). Is this what
this does?

I can't get it to enable at all - so I wonder if its broken?

Tim

Re: Toggle Local Hierarchy Icon

Andy Bower-3
Tim,

> The little (+) icon in the browsers, looks like something I want (a
> way to view inherited methods without having the painful right
> click). Is this what this does?
>
> I can't get it to enable at all - so I wonder if its broken?

It shows the superclasses and subclasses of the selected class only,
i.e. none of the sibling classes. Unfortunately, it is only available
in the Class Hierarchy Browser, not the System Browser.

Anyway, I suspect what you are looking for is the ability to show the
inherited methods, without actually changing the view of the
surrounding class structure. You can do this (and in both types of
browser) by using Method/Show Inherited Methods. Because the end result
of this is quite a large number of methods being displayed, there is
also the option to filter out the swathe of methods that are inherited
from the Object class. To do this toggle Method/Filter Object Methods.

best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Toggle Local Hierarchy Icon

TimM-3
> It shows the superclasses and subclasses of the selected class only,
> i.e. none of the sibling classes. Unfortunately, it is only available
> in the Class Hierarchy Browser, not the System Browser.

Gotcha - its not documented in the help system (that I could see) - I also
tried searching on "toggle" which is what the tooltip says, and Shift-F1
shows no help either.

>by using Method/Show Inherited Methods

Yes - I know this, but as there is no accelerator (and I hate right
clicking) I find that doing this is quite awkward. I put a hack in the last
beta to put an "&All" Checkbox next to the Instance/Class radio buttons to
make this easier to flip in and out off. I'll just rehack the view again (it
also taught me a bit about MVP) too.

Is there an easy way to add extra widgets to a view - I just edited it and
then saved it over top, but that didn't feel ideal.

TimM wrote:

> > It shows the superclasses and subclasses of the selected class only,
> > i.e. none of the sibling classes. Unfortunately, it is only
> > available in the Class Hierarchy Browser, not the System Browser.
>

> Gotcha - its not documented in the help system (that I could see) - I
> also tried searching on "toggle" which is what the tooltip says, and
> Shift-F1 shows no help either.

Well I did say that the help wasn't complete yet :-)
If you notice, there are sections reserved for Basic and Advanced
Procedures and this sort of information would go in there.

> > by using Method/Show Inherited Methods
>
> Yes - I know this, but as there is no accelerator (and I hate right
> clicking) I find that doing this is quite awkward. I put a hack in
> the last beta to put an "&All" Checkbox next to the Instance/Class
> radio buttons to make this easier to flip in and out off. I'll just
> rehack the view again (it also taught me a bit about MVP) too.
>
> Is there an easy way to add extra widgets to a view - I just edited
> it and then saved it over top, but that didn't feel ideal.

Well the best idea is to edit the view and save it down with a new
name. You can then go to the options for the tool and set your new view
as the one to be opened by default.

In this particular case, I think it may be worth changing the meaning
of the + toolbar icon to actually mean "Show Inherited Methods". I
think this is probably a more common requirement than the Show Local
Hierarchy.

best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Toggle Local Hierarchy Icon

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Andy,

> In this particular case, I think it may be worth changing the meaning
> of the + toolbar icon to actually mean "Show Inherited Methods". I
> think this is probably a more common requirement than the Show Local
> Hierarchy.

FWIW, my acme browser goodie depends on an extension of one of Ian's
long forgotten (I think) tweaks of the local heirarchy.  It would be
nice if any change you make is in a generic direction so that subclasses
can cleanly intercept and act on the toggle state.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Toggle Local Hierarchy Icon

TimM-3
> In this particular case, I think it may be worth changing the meaning
> of the + toolbar icon to actually mean "Show Inherited Methods". I
> think this is probably a more common requirement than the Show Local
> Hierarchy.

Obviously I would love that - and having an accelerator for the menu item
would be useful too. I'll put it as a feature request in the database.

Tim

p.s. good tip for the resource thing - I keep forgetting about the
preference settings and that is a much better way of doing it.