Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi guys - With all the talk about iceberg changes, I’ve stayed away from it for a bit (6 months) - but downloaded a new 6.1 image a few weeks ago and went to version some stuff yesterday into a new project.

Iceberg seems a bit more stable - but it still seems to write out individual methods as files which I thought had been changed? Am I doing something wrong - or do i need to set something?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Can't really speak for 6.1 but on 7 things are definitively Tonel based (unless you use existing/older repos).

Tracking Iceberg is best done in 7 (if you can live with an actively developed system).

> On 9 May 2018, at 11:54, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys - With all the talk about iceberg changes, I’ve stayed away from it for a bit (6 months) - but downloaded a new 6.1 image a few weeks ago and went to version some stuff yesterday into a new project.
>
> Iceberg seems a bit more stable - but it still seems to write out individual methods as files which I thought had been changed? Am I doing something wrong - or do i need to set something?
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

Herby Vojčík
Yes, it is insanely hard to write project in tonel format. Needs lot of hacking here and there, setting the setting itself is not helpful. I managed to, somehow, but I forgot the algorithm already. I am dreadful as to when I will need to do it again. Takes lots of time and nerves.

Herby

On May 9, 2018 11:54:56 AM GMT+02:00, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi guys - With all the talk about iceberg changes, I’ve stayed away
>from it for a bit (6 months) - but downloaded a new 6.1 image a few
>weeks ago and went to version some stuff yesterday into a new project.
>
>Iceberg seems a bit more stable - but it still seems to write out
>individual methods as files which I thought had been changed? Am I
>doing something wrong - or do i need to set something?
>
>Tim
>
>Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

EstebanLM
the problem is that tonel relies in a .properties file to know a repository format.
and for backward compatibility, if this .properties file is not present, iceberg assumes the repository is a plain old “filetree” repository.

so, until we figure out how to provide both things (a nice tonel switch and backwar compatibility), the workaround is to commit a .properties file into you root repository, with this form:

{
        #format : #tonel
}

and of course, that’s before doing anything image-side.

cheers,
Esteban

Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> the problem is that tonel relies in a .properties file to know a repository format.
> and for backward compatibility, if this .properties file is not present, iceberg assumes the repository is a plain old “filetree” repository.
>
> so, until we figure out how to provide both things (a nice tonel switch and backwar compatibility), the workaround is to commit a .properties file into you root repository, with this form:
>
> {
> #format : #tonel
> }
>
> and of course, that’s before doing anything image-side.

Yeah, that was maybe what I actually did, somehow. I faintly remember
only doing something with .properties first... maybe I achieved it by
getting to the newly created repo instance by some allInstances
filtering and setting it to tonel format by some message send then
committing it empty so .properties got there... anyway thanks for
clarifying it for the next time.

> cheers,
> Esteban
>

>> On 9 May 2018, at 12:21, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it is insanely hard to write project in tonel format. Needs lot of hacking here and there, setting the setting itself is not helpful. I managed to, somehow, but I forgot the algorithm already. I am dreadful as to when I will need to do it again. Takes lots of time and nerves.
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> On May 9, 2018 11:54:56 AM GMT+02:00, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi guys - With all the talk about iceberg changes, I’ve stayed away
>>> from it for a bit (6 months) - but downloaded a new 6.1 image a few
>>> weeks ago and went to version some stuff yesterday into a new project.
>>>
>>> Iceberg seems a bit more stable - but it still seems to write out
>>> individual methods as files which I thought had been changed? Am I
>>> doing something wrong - or do i need to set something?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

Tim Mackinnon
Ah - I missed that piece of information - could that be put on the iceberg readme.md? In fact - I’ll submit a pr so you can keep motoring on getting it all to work (I really want a stable git environment - we are getting sooo close).

Tim

> On 9 May 2018, at 11:34, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> the problem is that tonel relies in a .properties file to know a repository format.
> and for backward compatibility, if this .properties file is not present, iceberg assumes the repository is a plain old “filetree” repository.
>
> so, until we figure out how to provide both things (a nice tonel switch and backwar compatibility), the workaround is to commit a .properties file into you root repository, with this form:
>
> {
> #format : #tonel
> }
>
> and of course, that’s before doing anything image-side.
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>

>> On 9 May 2018, at 12:21, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it is insanely hard to write project in tonel format. Needs lot of hacking here and there, setting the setting itself is not helpful. I managed to, somehow, but I forgot the algorithm already. I am dreadful as to when I will need to do it again. Takes lots of time and nerves.
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> On May 9, 2018 11:54:56 AM GMT+02:00, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi guys - With all the talk about iceberg changes, I’ve stayed away
>>> from it for a bit (6 months) - but downloaded a new 6.1 image a few
>>> weeks ago and went to version some stuff yesterday into a new project.
>>>
>>> Iceberg seems a bit more stable - but it still seems to write out
>>> individual methods as files which I thought had been changed? Am I
>>> doing something wrong - or do i need to set something?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

Tim Mackinnon
Hmmm - I don’t think I’ve fully understood the instructions. If I already have a project in filetree git format - does creating the .properties file work? What do I do to convert it to tonel format? I think I’ve noticed a few announcements where people have said they’ve moved to the new tonel format - so how did they do it?

I tried using git on the command line to add .properties file there - but not sure it did anything?

Tim

> On 9 May 2018, at 15:21, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah - I missed that piece of information - could that be put on the iceberg readme.md? In fact - I’ll submit a pr so you can keep motoring on getting it all to work (I really want a stable git environment - we are getting sooo close).
>
> Tim
>
>> On 9 May 2018, at 11:34, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> the problem is that tonel relies in a .properties file to know a repository format.
>> and for backward compatibility, if this .properties file is not present, iceberg assumes the repository is a plain old “filetree” repository.
>>
>> so, until we figure out how to provide both things (a nice tonel switch and backwar compatibility), the workaround is to commit a .properties file into you root repository, with this form:
>>
>> {
>> #format : #tonel
>> }
>>
>> and of course, that’s before doing anything image-side.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Esteban
>>

>>> On 9 May 2018, at 12:21, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, it is insanely hard to write project in tonel format. Needs lot of hacking here and there, setting the setting itself is not helpful. I managed to, somehow, but I forgot the algorithm already. I am dreadful as to when I will need to do it again. Takes lots of time and nerves.
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

vonbecmann
Tim, i've used the following script

https://github.com/pharo-vcs/tonel/blob/master/MigrateFromFileTree.md

in my pet projects. hope this helps.

--
Bernardo E.C.

Sent from a cheap desktop computer in South America.

Re: Tonel, Pharo 6.1 and file per class?

Tim Mackinnon
Thats exactly what I was looking for - as I can never fathom the deep rooted directories I modified it a bit to:

crntRepo := (Iceberg repositoryForPackage: BaselineOfYourApp package) backend.
locationDir := crntRepo location.
subDir := crntRepo subdirectory.
sourceDir := locationDir.

I also wasn’t sure how you merge a branch back on to master with Iceberg (can you ?) - so I just did that bit in gitlab.

Thanks again - is it worth updating that md with the above - and can we put a link to this in the readme of Tonel (and in fact Iceberg)? There are too many unjoined bits of info that make it difficult to fathom what is going on. It would be great to put them together so others can avoid the lost hours.

Tim

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 9:36 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

I also wasn’t sure how you merge a branch back on to master with Iceberg (can you ?) - so I just did that bit in gitlab.

no, i didn't use iceberg. i just run the script (without the push at the end) and then i use git commands to get back to master
and merge the migrate-sources-to-tonel branch. and then i pushed to origin.

if you have a better script, just propose the fix in github. there's a pencil in the left hand
with the caption 'Fork this project and edit this file' after the modification you have the
option to create a pull request.