Tonel code?

melkyades
Hi, I wanted to do some dialect porting experiments. I want to export to pharo using tonel file format and got some questions.

1. Is this the main source? https://github.com/pharo-vcs/tonel
2. Is it already loaded in pharo 7?
3. Seems to have dependencies with monticello, how hard would it be to have a port without monticello/port the needed monticello dependencies?
4. Any advice?

Cheers,
Javier

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Tonel code?

Stephane Ducasse-3
> Hi, I wanted to do some dialect porting experiments. I want to export to
> pharo using tonel file format and got some questions.
>
> 1. Is this the main source? https://github.com/pharo-vcs/tonel

yes

> 2. Is it already loaded in pharo 7?

did you open Pharo 70? because this is what I should do to answer your
question.

> 3. Seems to have dependencies with monticello, how hard would it be to have
> a port without monticello/port the needed monticello dependencies?

No idea.

> 4. Any advice?
>
> Cheers,
> Javier
>
> --
> Javier Pimás
> Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Tonel code?

Dale Henrichs-3

Javier,

I have a port of Tonel to GemStone[1] that runs against both Monticello and CypressReferenceImplementation[2]. I have yet to merge my work back into pharo-vcs/tonel, because I'm waiting for Tonel to stabilize and well ... I'm also busy:).

It might be useful for you to see how I've spliced in readers and writers for both Monticello and CypressReferenceImplementation.

The CypressReferenceImplementation was written by Richard Sargent as a non-Monticello-based package loader and has been ported to VW and GemStone. Richard's work was based on some work that I had done in creating a Cypress format[3] loader for Cuis[4] The CypressReferenceImplementation is definition-based like Monticello, but the definition model has been pared down to bare essentials. It was written to be a reference implementation for other non-Monticello-based Smalltalk platforms.

Unless you already have a native definition-based system you should look at the CypressReferenceImplementation for inspiration.

Anyway, I'd be willing to answer any questions you have on the work I've done with Tonel and the CypressReferenceImplementation and I'd especially be interested on any improvements you migiht suggest as I'm currently working on a second generation implementation of the CypressReferenceImplementation called Rowan[5] that is targeted for inclusion in the next GemStone release:)

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/tonel
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/CypressReferenceImplementation/tree/portability/cypress
[3] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress
[4] https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/cuis-cypress
[5] https://github.com/dalehenrich/CypressReferenceImplementation/tree/rowan/tonel

On 1/13/18 7:56 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:
Hi, I wanted to do some dialect porting experiments. I want to export to pharo using tonel file format and got some questions.

1. Is this the main source? https://github.com/pharo-vcs/tonel
2. Is it already loaded in pharo 7?
3. Seems to have dependencies with monticello, how hard would it be to have a port without monticello/port the needed monticello dependencies?
4. Any advice?

Cheers,
Javier

--
Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Tonel code?

melkyades

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I wanted to do some dialect porting experiments. I want to export to
> pharo using tonel file format and got some questions.
>
> 1. Is this the main source? https://github.com/pharo-vcs/tonel

yes

> 2. Is it already loaded in pharo 7?

did you open Pharo 70? because this is what I should do to answer your
question.

Yes, but I wasn't sure if there were more/other code, now I know that's all, thanks.

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Javier Pimás
Ciudad de Buenos Aires

Re: Tonel code?

Dale Henrichs-3

On 1/15/18 6:16 AM, Javier Pimás wrote:
Hi Dale! I'm afraid I have very little knowledge on the topic and there is a big vocabulary. I don't even know how to load/see the code. Maybe we can start a small wiki here [1] to put a glossary and some more info, what do you think?
I think I interpreted your "how hard would it be to have a port without monticello/port the needed monticello dependencies?" as indicating that you had more knowledge than I thought:)

Perhaps you could expand on what " dialect porting experiments" you are planning - we can take the conversation to private email if you are more comfortable with that - and perhaps our conversation can form the basis of a wiki?

Dale