Too many update configs in trunk?

12

Too many update configs in trunk?

Bert Freudenberg
Hi folks,

I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took ages.

I have the impression that people are committing way more update configs than necessary. These are not cheap, but they force an incremental update process. Instead of just loading the latest version, they force me to load many many intermediate versions. I cannot imagine it is necessary to have so many. We are close to 200 now.

Normally we only need a new config map when the load order of packages needs to change. But I see many configs where the order does not change at all. Attached below.

Sometimes it might be necessary to force a specific version to be loaded before a subsequent version. But is that really necessary that often?

If it is indeed necessary, then we need to figure out a way to only force-loading a specific package, not all packages. That would speed up the updates quite a bit.

- Bert -

----
update-ul.118.mcm
----
update-ul.119.mcm
----
update-nice.120.mcm
----
update-nice.121.mcm
----
update-ul.122.mcm
----
update-ul.123.mcm
----
update-ul.124.mcm
----
update-nice.125.mcm
----
update-nice.126.mcm
----
update-nice.127.mcm
----
update-ar.128.mcm
+ Monticello
Compiler
EToys
Exceptions
Files
FlexibleVocabularies
Graphics
GraphicsTests
Installer-Core
Kernel
KernelTests
MonticelloConfigurations
- Monticello
----
update-ar.129.mcm
----
update-ar.130.mcm
----
update-nice.131.mcm
----
update-nice.132.mcm
----
update-ul.133.mcm
----
update-laza.134.mcm
----
update-nice.135.mcm
----
update-nice.136.mcm
----
update-ul.137.mcm
----
update-ul.138.mcm
+ Kernel
Compiler
EToys
Exceptions
Files
FlexibleVocabularies
Graphics
GraphicsTests
Installer-Core
- Kernel
----
update-ar.139.mcm
+ System
Morphic
Multilingual
MorphicExtras
MorphicTests
MultilingualTests
Nebraska
Network
NetworkTests
PackageInfo-Base
PreferenceBrowser
Protocols
SMBase
SMLoader
ST80
SUnit
SUnitGUI
ScriptLoader
Services-Base
Sound
- System
----
update-nice.140.mcm
----
update-ul.141.mcm
----
update-ul.142.mcm
----
update-nice.143.mcm
----
update-ul.144.mcm
----
update-ar.145.mcm
----
update-ul.146.mcm
----
update-bf.147.mcm
+ HelpSystem-Core
+ HelpSystem-Tests
+ Help-Squeak-Project
----
update-ul.148.mcm
----
update-ar.149.mcm
----
update-nice.150.mcm
----
update-ar.151.mcm
+ Network
Collections
CollectionsTests
Compression
Monticello
Kernel
Compiler
EToys
Exceptions
Files
FlexibleVocabularies
Graphics
GraphicsTests
Installer-Core
KernelTests
MonticelloConfigurations
System
Morphic
Multilingual
MorphicExtras
MorphicTests
MultilingualTests
Nebraska
- Network
----
update-ar.152.mcm
+ Compression
Collections
CollectionsTests
- Compression
----
update-ul.153.mcm
----
update-ul.154.mcm
----
update-ul.155.mcm
----
update-ul.156.mcm
----
update-ul.157.mcm
----
update-ul.158.mcm
----
update-ul.159.mcm
----
update-ul.160.mcm
----
update-ul.161.mcm
----
update-ul.162.mcm
----
update-ul.163.mcm
----
update-dtl.164.mcm
+ Help-Squeak-TerseGuide
----
update-ul.165.mcm
----
update-ul.166.mcm
----
update-ul.167.mcm
----
update-ul.168.mcm
----
update-nice.169.mcm
----
update-dtl.170.mcm
+ SystemReporter
----
update-ul.171.mcm
----
update-ul.172.mcm
----
update-ul.173.mcm
----
update-ul.174.mcm
----
update-ul.175.mcm
----
update-dtl.176.mcm
----
update-ul.177.mcm
+ BalloonTests
----
update-ul.178.mcm
----
update-cmm.179.mcm
+ TrunkScript
----
update-cmm.180.mcm
- TrunkScript
----
update-ul.182.mcm
----
update-cmm.183.mcm
----
update-nice.184.mcm
----
update-ul.185.mcm
----
update-ul.186.mcm
----
update-ul.187.mcm
----
update-kb.188.mcm
----
update-nice.189.mcm
----
update-ul.190.mcm
----
update-ul.191.mcm

repo := MCRepositoryGroup default repositories detect: [:r | r description = 'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'].
updates := repo allFileNames select: [ :f | (f beginsWith: 'update-') and: [f endsWith: '.mcm'] ].
updates := updates asSortedCollection: [ :a :b | (a allButLast: 4) numericSuffix < (b allButLast: 4) numericSuffix].
Transcript clear.
updates do: [ :update |
        Transcript show: '----'; cr; show: update; cr.
        config := repo versionNamed: update.
        pkgs := String streamContents: [:s | config dependencies do: [:dep | s nextPutAll: dep package name; cr] ].
        prev ifNotNil: [
                context := nil.
                (TextDiffBuilder from: prev to: pkgs)
                        patchSequenceDoIfMatch: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [context := context, string ] ]
                        ifInsert: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '+ ', string. context := '']
                        ifRemove: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '- ', string. context := ''].
                ].
        prev := pkgs].

Re: Too many update configs in trunk?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took ages.
>
> I have the impression that people are committing way more update configs than necessary. These are not cheap, but they force an incremental update process. Instead of just loading the latest version, they force me to load many many intermediate versions. I cannot imagine it is necessary to have so many. We are close to 200 now.

The intermediate versions for some packages have to be loaded otherwise
your image may break.

> Normally we only need a new config map when the load order of packages needs to change. But I see many configs where the order does not change at all. Attached below.
>
> Sometimes it might be necessary to force a specific version to be loaded before a subsequent version. But is that really necessary that often?

In most cases it's necessary. Before update-ul.16x.mcm I didn't rely on
the package order inside mcms, so some mcms could have been avoided, but I
guess their number is less than 10.

> If it is indeed necessary, then we need to figure out a way to only force-loading a specific package, not all packages. That would speed up the updates quite a bit.

If we can mark the packages which require a specific version to be loaded,
then we'll have the faster update process.
One possible way is to only include those packages in the mcms which
require a specific version. At the end of the update process update to the
latest version all in-image packages which are also present in the
repository. But changing the update process by the update process is a
PITA as Chris found it out recently.

Levente

<rant>
Try updating a Pharo image and you'll see how snappy our update process
is.
</rant>

On 09.06.2011, at 15:18, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took ages.
>>
>> I have the impression that people are committing way more update configs than necessary. These are not cheap, but they force an incremental update process. Instead of just loading the latest version, they force me to load many many intermediate versions. I cannot imagine it is necessary to have so many. We are close to 200 now.
>
> The intermediate versions for some packages have to be loaded otherwise your image may break.
>
>> Normally we only need a new config map when the load order of packages needs to change. But I see many configs where the order does not change at all. Attached below.
>>
>> Sometimes it might be necessary to force a specific version to be loaded before a subsequent version. But is that really necessary that often?
>
> In most cases it's necessary. Before update-ul.16x.mcm I didn't rely on the package order inside mcms, so some mcms could have been avoided, but I guess their number is less than 10.
>

>> If it is indeed necessary, then we need to figure out a way to only force-loading a specific package, not all packages. That would speed up the updates quite a bit.
>
> If we can mark the packages which require a specific version to be loaded, then we'll have the faster update process.
> One possible way is to only include those packages in the mcms which require a specific version. At the end of the update process update to the latest version all in-image packages which are also present in the repository. But changing the update process by the update process is a PITA as Chris found it out recently.

What should work, IMHO, is when uploading a new config, only update those package versions that need changing. That is, take latest config, change version for the package you need updated, publish. There currently is no UI for this, it only allows "update from image" and "update from repository" which updates all packages. But if individual packages could be updated that should work faster.

> Levente
>
> <rant>
> Try updating a Pharo image and you'll see how snappy our update process is.
> </rant>

Never tried. You mean it's even slower? I agree that for day-to-day development the mcm-and-mcd updates are fast enough. We did go to some effort to make it fast, after all.

However, when updating only once a month or so I think it could be faster.

- Bert -

> [...]
>> ----
>> update-ul.167.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.168.mcm
>> ----
>> update-nice.169.mcm
>> ----
>> update-dtl.170.mcm
>> + SystemReporter
>> ----
>> update-ul.171.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.172.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.173.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.174.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.175.mcm
>> ----
>> update-dtl.176.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.177.mcm
>> + BalloonTests
>> ----
>> update-ul.178.mcm
>> ----
>> update-cmm.179.mcm
>> + TrunkScript
>> ----
>> update-cmm.180.mcm
>> - TrunkScript
>> ----
>> update-ul.182.mcm
>> ----
>> update-cmm.183.mcm
>> ----
>> update-nice.184.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.185.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.186.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.187.mcm
>> ----
>> update-kb.188.mcm
>> ----
>> update-nice.189.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.190.mcm
>> ----
>> update-ul.191.mcm
>>

>> repo := MCRepositoryGroup default repositories detect: [:r | r description = 'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'].
>> updates := repo allFileNames select: [ :f | (f beginsWith: 'update-') and: [f endsWith: '.mcm'] ].
>> updates := updates asSortedCollection: [ :a :b | (a allButLast: 4) numericSuffix < (b allButLast: 4) numericSuffix].
>> Transcript clear.
>> updates do: [ :update |
>> Transcript show: '----'; cr; show: update; cr.
>> config := repo versionNamed: update.
>> pkgs := String streamContents: [:s | config dependencies do: [:dep | s nextPutAll: dep package name; cr] ].
>> prev ifNotNil: [
>> context := nil.
>> (TextDiffBuilder from: prev to: pkgs)
>> patchSequenceDoIfMatch: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [context := context, string ] ]
>> ifInsert: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '+ ', string. context := '']
>> ifRemove: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '- ', string. context := ''].

Casey Ransberger-2
Well, my comment is perpendicular, but people have been asking me for a new trunk image for a few weeks now, which could be related.

I don't have a real computer with me right now, otherwise I'd just do it tonight. I can probably find some time to do it tomorrow, unless someone wants to beat me to the punch.

Doesn't solve the underlying problem, but does take some of the pain away.

On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:51 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> ----
> update-ul.167.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.168.mcm
> ----
> update-nice.169.mcm
> ----
> update-dtl.170.mcm
> + SystemReporter
> ----
> update-ul.171.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.172.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.173.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.174.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.175.mcm
> ----
> update-dtl.176.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.177.mcm
> + BalloonTests
> ----
> update-ul.178.mcm
> ----
> update-cmm.179.mcm
> + TrunkScript
> ----
> update-cmm.180.mcm
> - TrunkScript
> ----
> update-ul.182.mcm
> ----
> update-cmm.183.mcm
> ----
> update-nice.184.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.185.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.186.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.187.mcm
> ----
> update-kb.188.mcm
> ----
> update-nice.189.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.190.mcm
> ----
> update-ul.191.mcm
>

> repo := MCRepositoryGroup default repositories detect: [:r | r description = 'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'].
> updates := repo allFileNames select: [ :f | (f beginsWith: 'update-') and: [f endsWith: '.mcm'] ].
> updates := updates asSortedCollection: [ :a :b | (a allButLast: 4) numericSuffix < (b allButLast: 4) numericSuffix].
> Transcript clear.
> updates do: [ :update |
>    Transcript show: '----'; cr; show: update; cr.
>    config := repo versionNamed: update.
>    pkgs := String streamContents: [:s | config dependencies do: [:dep | s nextPutAll: dep package name; cr] ].
>    prev ifNotNil: [
>        context := nil.
>        (TextDiffBuilder from: prev to: pkgs)
>            patchSequenceDoIfMatch: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [context := context, string ] ]
>            ifInsert: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '+ ', string. context := '']
>            ifRemove: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '- ', string. context := ''].

Andreas.Raab
On 6/10/2011 0:39, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> What should work, IMHO, is when uploading a new config, only update those package versions that need changing. That is, take latest config, change version for the package you need updated, publish. There currently is no UI for this, it only allows "update from image" and "update from repository" which updates all packages. But if individual packages could be updated that should work faster.

I have a few doubts about how well this would work. Here is why: Let's
assume the last config had Kernel-Foo.1.mcz in it. You update happily
and when you're done (w/o any update.mcm) you're at Kernel-Bar.99.mcz.
Now you find that you have an ordering problem which makes it so that
Sockets-MeToo.123 needs to be loaded before updating Sockets further.
According to your logic, this would now mean that the MCM combines
Kernel-Foo.1.mcz with Sockets-MeToo.123 even though you've most likely
developed Sockets-MeToo.123 on top of Kernel-Bar.99. And if loading
those two together will work you'll only find out if someone actually
updates from first principles; if people keep their images updated
regularly they could be quite a ways past Kernel-Foo.1 already and may
not even notice the problem. I'll also point out that we've had this
particular problem a few of times already and it was a major pain to go
back and fix the configs so that updating from first principles works
again. I really wouldn't want to make this worse.

That said, let me ask a different question: Why is it a problem to have
200 MCMs? If you're updating from 4.0 to 4.3 you are updating through
two and a half versions of Squeak, work that took two years total by the
entire community. That doesn't strike me as too much. The only thing I'd
like to have is to be able to update such images to particular
checkpoints (i.e., load the updates from 4.0 -> 4.1, 4.1 -> 4.2, etc).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 09.06.2011, at 23:54, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 6/10/2011 0:39, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> What should work, IMHO, is when uploading a new config, only update those package versions that need changing. That is, take latest config, change version for the package you need updated, publish. There currently is no UI for this, it only allows "update from image" and "update from repository" which updates all packages. But if individual packages could be updated that should work faster.
>
> I have a few doubts about how well this would work. Here is why: Let's assume the last config had Kernel-Foo.1.mcz in it. You update happily and when you're done (w/o any update.mcm) you're at Kernel-Bar.99.mcz. Now you find that you have an ordering problem which makes it so that Sockets-MeToo.123 needs to be loaded before updating Sockets further. According to your logic, this would now mean that the MCM combines Kernel-Foo.1.mcz with Sockets-MeToo.123 even though you've most likely developed Sockets-MeToo.123 on top of Kernel-Bar.99. And if loading those two together will work you'll only find out if someone actually updates from first principles; if people keep their images updated regularly they could be quite a ways past Kernel-Foo.1 already and may not even notice the problem. I'll also point out that we've had this particular problem a few of times already and it was a major pain to go back and fix the configs so that updating from first principles works again. I really wouldn't want to make this worse.

I see your point. We don't handle dependencies between package versions, so problems with dependencies getting out of sync should be smaller with more frequent checkpoints. It still seems somewhat accidental.

A way to discover the problems you mention would be to actually update from first principles every day. Build server, anyone? ;)

> That said, let me ask a different question: Why is it a problem to have 200 MCMs? If you're updating from 4.0 to 4.3 you are updating through two and a half versions of Squeak, work that took two years total by the entire community. That doesn't strike me as too much.

Well, it could be even more efficient :)

> The only thing I'd like to have is to be able to update such images to particular checkpoints (i.e., load the updates from 4.0 -> 4.1, 4.1 -> 4.2, etc).

That should not be hard if we knew which trunk config corresponds to which release. Which we don't, unfortunately. There's no tagging as in other SCMs.

- Bert -

Re: Too many update configs in trunk?

Casey Ransberger-2
Ouch. Yeah, understanding what release a config corresponds to is probably about the most important part of the "community supported" idea (unless it's the tests.) Would it be possible to start keeping track of this stuff in the following release?

Other than the painful update thing, are there any other actual technical issues? Can we just add a note somewhere that says "BTW these bits correspond with Squeak 4.4"?

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Too many update configs in trunk?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 09.06.2011, at 15:18, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took ages.
>>>
>>> I have the impression that people are committing way more update configs than necessary. These are not cheap, but they force an incremental update process. Instead of just loading the latest version, they force me to load many many intermediate versions. I cannot imagine it is necessary to have so many. We are close to 200 now.
>>
>> The intermediate versions for some packages have to be loaded otherwise your image may break.
>>
>>> Normally we only need a new config map when the load order of packages needs to change. But I see many configs where the order does not change at all. Attached below.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it might be necessary to force a specific version to be loaded before a subsequent version. But is that really necessary that often?
>>
>> In most cases it's necessary. Before update-ul.16x.mcm I didn't rely on the package order inside mcms, so some mcms could have been avoided, but I guess their number is less than 10.
>>

>>> If it is indeed necessary, then we need to figure out a way to only force-loading a specific package, not all packages. That would speed up the updates quite a bit.
>>
>> If we can mark the packages which require a specific version to be loaded, then we'll have the faster update process.
>> One possible way is to only include those packages in the mcms which require a specific version. At the end of the update process update to the latest version all in-image packages which are also present in the repository. But changing the update process by the update process is a PITA as Chris found it out recently.

> What should work, IMHO, is when uploading a new config, only update those package versions that need changing. That is, take latest config, change version for the package you need updated, publish. There currently is no UI for this, it only allows "update from image" and "update from repository" which updates all packages. But if individual packages could be updated that should work faster.

I agree.

>> Levente
>>
>> <rant>
>> Try updating a Pharo image and you'll see how snappy our update process is.
>> </rant>
>
> Never tried. You mean it's even slower? I agree that for day-to-day development the mcm-and-mcd updates are fast enough. We did go to some effort to make it fast, after all.

It feels a lot slower. AFAIK they use an update stream with quite a lot of
mczs.

> However, when updating only once a month or so I think it could be faster.

No, loading an mcz for almost every change is not faster.

Levente

> - Bert -
>

>>> ----
>>> update-ul.118.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.119.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.120.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.121.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.122.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.123.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.124.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.125.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.126.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.127.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.128.mcm
>>> + Monticello
>>> Compiler
>>> EToys
>>> Exceptions
>>> Files
>>> FlexibleVocabularies
>>> Graphics
>>> GraphicsTests
>>> Installer-Core
>>> Kernel
>>> KernelTests
>>> MonticelloConfigurations
>>> - Monticello
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.129.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.130.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.131.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.132.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.133.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-laza.134.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.135.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.136.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.137.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.138.mcm
>>> + Kernel
>>> Compiler
>>> EToys
>>> Exceptions
>>> Files
>>> FlexibleVocabularies
>>> Graphics
>>> GraphicsTests
>>> Installer-Core
>>> - Kernel
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.139.mcm
>>> + System
>>> Morphic
>>> Multilingual
>>> MorphicExtras
>>> MorphicTests
>>> MultilingualTests
>>> Nebraska
>>> Network
>>> NetworkTests
>>> PackageInfo-Base
>>> PreferenceBrowser
>>> Protocols
>>> SMBase
>>> SMLoader
>>> ST80
>>> SUnit
>>> SUnitGUI
>>> ScriptLoader
>>> Services-Base
>>> Sound
>>> - System
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.140.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.141.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.142.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.143.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.144.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.145.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.146.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-bf.147.mcm
>>> + HelpSystem-Core
>>> + HelpSystem-Tests
>>> + Help-Squeak-Project
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.148.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.149.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.150.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ar.151.mcm
>>> + Network
>>> Collections
>>> CollectionsTests
>>> Compression
>>> Monticello
>>> Kernel
>>> Compiler
>>> EToys
>>> Exceptions
>>> Files
>>> FlexibleVocabularies
>>> Graphics
>>> GraphicsTests
>>> Installer-Core
>>> KernelTests
>>> MonticelloConfigurations
>>> System
>>> Morphic
>>> Multilingual
>>> MorphicExtras
>>> MorphicTests
>>> MultilingualTests
> [...]
>>> update-ul.167.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.168.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.169.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-dtl.170.mcm
>>> + SystemReporter
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.171.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.172.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.173.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.174.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.175.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-dtl.176.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.177.mcm
>>> + BalloonTests
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.178.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-cmm.179.mcm
>>> + TrunkScript
>>> ----
>>> update-cmm.180.mcm
>>> - TrunkScript
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.182.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-cmm.183.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.184.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.185.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.186.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.187.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-kb.188.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-nice.189.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.190.mcm
>>> ----
>>> update-ul.191.mcm
>>>

>>> repo := MCRepositoryGroup default repositories detect: [:r | r description = 'http://source.squeak.org/trunk'].
>>> updates := repo allFileNames select: [ :f | (f beginsWith: 'update-') and: [f endsWith: '.mcm'] ].
>>> updates := updates asSortedCollection: [ :a :b | (a allButLast: 4) numericSuffix < (b allButLast: 4) numericSuffix].
>>> Transcript clear.
>>> updates do: [ :update |
>>> Transcript show: '----'; cr; show: update; cr.
>>> config := repo versionNamed: update.
>>> pkgs := String streamContents: [:s | config dependencies do: [:dep | s nextPutAll: dep package name; cr] ].
>>> prev ifNotNil: [
>>> context := nil.
>>> (TextDiffBuilder from: prev to: pkgs)
>>> patchSequenceDoIfMatch: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [context := context, string ] ]
>>> ifInsert: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '+ ', string. context := '']
>>> ifRemove: [ :string | context ifNotNil: [Transcript show: context]. Transcript show: '- ', string. context := ''].

Hannes Hirzel
On 6/10/11, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That said, let me ask a different question: Why is it a problem to have
> 200 MCMs? If you're updating from 4.0 to 4.3 you are updating through
> two and a half versions of Squeak, work that took two years total by the
> entire community. That doesn't strike me as too much. The only thing I'd
> like to have is to be able to update such images to particular
> checkpoints (i.e., load the updates from 4.0 -> 4.1, 4.1 -> 4.2, etc).

+1
Hannes

On 6/9/11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took
> ages.

Bert

Which version was the older trunk image? How long is "ages"?  20 min,
1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours? How often are you going to repeat the
exercise in the future?

Hannes

On 6/10/11, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, my comment is perpendicular, but people have been asking me for a new
> trunk image for a few weeks now, which could be related.
>
> I don't have a real computer with me right now, otherwise I'd just do it
> tonight. I can probably find some time to do it tomorrow, unless someone
> wants to beat me to the punch.

Probably not; it is still fine if you do it some time during the next week.

> Doesn't solve the underlying problem, but does take some of the pain away.

Yes.

The last one which is there is from the 17th of April
ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/

It would be great to have an updated image there around every 3rd day
of each month with the updates of the month before.

--Hannes

Re: Too many update configs in trunk?

Edgar De Cleene

On 6/11/11 3:08 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/10/11, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, my comment is perpendicular, but people have been asking me for a new
>> trunk image for a few weeks now, which could be related.
>>
>> I don't have a real computer with me right now, otherwise I'd just do it
>> tonight. I can probably find some time to do it tomorrow, unless someone
>> wants to beat me to the punch.
>
> Probably not; it is still fine if you do it some time during the next week.
>
>> Doesn't solve the underlying problem, but does take some of the pain away.
>
> Yes.
>
> The last one which is there is from the 17th of April
> ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/
>
> It would be great to have an updated image there around every 3rd day
> of each month with the updates of the month before.
>
> --Hannes

If no one is against, this is a task which I could do.

Edgar

On 6/11/11, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6/11/11 3:08 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/10/11, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, my comment is perpendicular, but people have been asking me for a
>>> new
>>> trunk image for a few weeks now, which could be related.
..

>> Probably not; it is still fine if you do it some time during the next
>> week.

>> The last one which is there is from the 17th of April
>> ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/
>>
>> It would be great to have an updated image there around every 3rd day
>> of each month with the updates of the month before.
>>
>> --Hannes
>

> If no one is against, this is a task which I could do.
>

> Edgar

This is very much welcome....

Please do so.

--Hannes

Re: Too many update configs in trunk?

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:13:02AM +0000, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 6/11/11, Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ..
> >>
> >> Probably not; it is still fine if you do it some time during the next
> >> week.

> >> The last one which is there is from the 17th of April
> >> ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.3alpha/
> >>
> >> It would be great to have an updated image there around every 3rd day
> >> of each month with the updates of the month before.
> >>
> >> --Hannes
> >

> > If no one is against, this is a task which I could do.
> >

> > Edgar
> >

> This is very much welcome....
>
> Please do so.
>
> --Hannes

+1

Dave

On 10.06.2011, at 22:59, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 6/9/11, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I just tried to update an older trunk image to the current one. It took
>> ages.
>>
> Bert
>
> Which version was the older trunk image?

Update config 168.

> How long is "ages"?  20 min, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours?

15 minutes maybe? I didn't watch the clock.

> How often are you going to repeat the exercise in the future?

Not very often.

I guess I'm just spoiled by how snappy the update process usually is ;)

About 50 packages changed since 168.mcm. So ideally the update process would only have to download 50 mcds. Instead, it downloaded about 240, forced by the update maps. Which is still better than downloading all 650 mcds corresponding to each commit individually. And a lot better than downloading full mczs, as Levente pointed out.

So, it's not that bad after all.

- Bert -

11 June Building report (was Re: [squeak-dev] Too many update configs in trunk?)

Edgar De Cleene

On 6/11/11 9:56 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:13:02AM +0000, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

>> ..

>>> If no one is against, this is a task which I could do.
>>>

>>> Edgar
>>>

>> This is very much welcome....
>>
>> Please do so.
>>
>> --Hannes
>
> +1
>
> Dave

On Mac , the image builds without any troubles.
I do a Profiled Sunit test and have

3007 run, 2982 passes, 7 expected failures, 14 failures, 2 errors, 2
unexpected passes

Failure list
CompilerExceptionsTest>>#testUnusedVariable
ExceptionTests>>#testHandlerFromAction
MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter
MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromFile
MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromStream
MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorAt
MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorInstVarAt
PackageDependencyTest>>#testExceptions
PackageDependencyTest>>#testMonticello
PackageDependencyTest>>#testST80
PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderMVC
ProcessTest>>#testAtomicSuspend
RWBinaryOrTextStreamTest>>#testExisiting
ReleaseTest>>#testNoObsoleteClasses
SocketTest>>#testLocalAddress
SocketTest>>#testRemoteAddress

Error list
CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformInSuperclassCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps

Now I transfer to Windows XP computer and run the test, then store on ftp

Edgar

Re: 11 June Building report (was Re: [squeak-dev] Too many update configs in trunk?)

Casey Ransberger-2
Bonus points for running the tests: thank you for taking the time to do this.

On Jun 11, 2011, at 12:07 PM, "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/11/11 9:56 AM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> ..

>>> This is very much welcome....
>>>
>>> Please do so.
>>>
>>> --Hannes
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Dave
>>

> On Mac , the image builds without any troubles.
> I do a Profiled Sunit test and have
>
> 3007 run, 2982 passes, 7 expected failures, 14 failures, 2 errors, 2
> unexpected passes
>
> Failure list
> CompilerExceptionsTest>>#testUnusedVariable
> ExceptionTests>>#testHandlerFromAction
> MCFileInTest>>#testStWriter
> MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromFile
> MCMczInstallerTest>>#testInstallFromStream
> MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorAt
> MirrorPrimitiveTests>>#testMirrorInstVarAt
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testExceptions
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testMonticello
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testST80
> PackageDependencyTest>>#testToolBuilderMVC
> ProcessTest>>#testAtomicSuspend
> RWBinaryOrTextStreamTest>>#testExisiting
> ReleaseTest>>#testNoObsoleteClasses
> SocketTest>>#testLocalAddress
> SocketTest>>#testRemoteAddress
>
> Error list
> CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
> CompiledMethodTest>>#testPerformInSuperclassCanExecutelongMethodWithTemps
>
> Now I transfer to Windows XP computer and run the test, then store on ftp
>
> Edgar

11 June Building report (2)

Edgar De Cleene
On Windows Xp with Cog I have the attached crash dump trying to do same
Sunit test as in Mac

And I do not have enough privileges to store the .zip in
sftp://[hidden email]/var/www/files/4.3alpha

Could store in Experiments and some could move to or wait some update
privileges for storing the file.

Edgar

crash.dmp (16K) Download Attachment

Re: 11 June Building report (2)

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Edgar,

    if you included Croquet.map then the C stack backtrace would be more informative.  Looks like its crashing in perform:, which may indicate heap corruption.

HTH
Eliot

sftp://updates@.../var/www/files/4.3alpha

Could store in Experiments and some could move to or wait some update
privileges for storing the file.

Edgar

Re: 11 June Building report (2)

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] 11 June Building report (2)

On 6/11/11 5:35 PM, "Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Edgar,

    if you included Croquet.map then the C stack backtrace would be more informative.  Looks like its crashing in perform:, which may indicate heap corruption.

HTH
Eliot

Sure I miss something, so please tell how to use Croquet.map, the file i have reads Aug 18 2010 as date modified so seems not used by the test

Edgar

12