Toolbar troubles - deployment

12

Re: Toolbar troubles - deployment

keith
Hi Chris,
Thanks for responding....
Nope, as per your suggestion, I'm no longer doing the
different-icon-if-in-development trick. Now, I just use:
  Icon fromId: 'smallbulb'  or whatever.
That works fine on any machine *except* my own development box.

I put a little bit of logging into my application, just to ensure I was
getting the correct resourceLibrary, etc. I guess I'll have to log
more. My biggest question lies in this:
On a clean system (or vmware) that doesn't have dolphin installed,
everything renders perfectly. Is there something I'm missing that would
cause a deployed application to use erroneous resource id's from my
development IDE? Again, I've followed the advice to deploy from a clean
image, so I wouldn't think so but....

Anybody got a 'Dolphin Smalltalk for Dummies' book I can borrow? :-)
:-)

Thanks,

Keith

Chris Uppal wrote:

> keith,
>
> > After a couple of weeks, I've noticed one bit more weirdness:
> > I can deploy from a clean image, install on a different machine (or
> > vmware), and everything displays as expected. However, when I take the
> > *exact* same application and try to run in on my development machine,
> > I'm back to getting the shifted icons.
>
> Are you still using the answer-different-Icon-if-in-development-image trick ?
> If so then, as I said before, I don't think it'll work:
>
> ===== quote from previous post ====
> > defaultIcon
> >  ^SessionManager current isRuntime
> >    ifTrue: [ Icon fromFile: 'icon_smallbulb.ico' ]
> >    ifFalse: [Icon fromFile: 'resources\icon_smallbulb.ico'].
>
> I think that might cause problems.   The problem (if my suspicion is correct)
> is that you may or will end up with instances of Icon in your deployed
> executable (possibly hidden inside View Resources) which refer to the
> 'resources\icon_smallbulb.ico' name.
>
> There are various ways around that, most of which are fairly messy.  The least
> messy I know of is to define a special kind of ResourceLocator which knows
> about the conventions you are using.
>
> If not (or even if you are and are interested) then you could add some logging
> to your application to record the exact details of the icons' ids and
> ResourceLocators (remember that the default #printString of Icon and
> ResourceLocators do /not/ provide enough information to identify what's going
> on).
>
>     -- chris

12