Tooltip not working for all columns in a MultipleSelectionListView

Tooltip not working for all columns in a MultipleSelectionListView

Jonas Öhrn
In my MultipleSelectionListView the tooltip/infotip does not work for
columns other than the primary column even though the getContentsBlock
and getInfoTipBlock is set for all columns.
If I move column#2 to first in list then that column's infotip works
but not the original column's infotip (now column #2).
I have checked that the ListView>>lvnGetInfoTip: handler is never
called for other columns. The question is why?

I also found a code comment at the end of
ListView>>infoTipFromRow:withPrefix: that talks about an exception for
the primary column but I guess this applies only ListView not
ListViewColumn correct?

Anyone else has this problem?
Is this a bug or a feature?

Re: Tooltip not working for all columns in a MultipleSelectionListView

Jonas Öhrn
Oops, forgot to tell that I use Dolphin 5 Pro and Windows 2000.

Re: Tooltip not working for all columns in a MultipleSelectionListView

Chris Uppal-3
Jonas Öhrn wrote:

> In my MultipleSelectionListView the tooltip/infotip does not work for
> columns other than the primary column

As far as I know, this is a Windows problem.  It's been mentioned here before
but no one has ever found a solution.

FWIW, MSDN (as of about the time W2k came out) stated that tooltips only worked
for lists in ICON mode -- which is a blatant falsity since it also works for
the primary column in REPORT mode.  The newest MSDN claims that it works in
report mode too if "all columns select" is turned on.  Maybe it does work for
all columns in XP, but it certainly doesn't on W2K.

    -- chris

Re: Tooltip not working for all columns in a MultipleSelectionListView

Blair McGlashan
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:3e269ed5$0$169$[hidden email]...
> Jonas Öhrn wrote:
>
> > In my MultipleSelectionListView the tooltip/infotip does not work for
> > columns other than the primary column
>
> As far as I know, this is a Windows problem.  It's been mentioned here
before
> but no one has ever found a solution.
>
> FWIW, MSDN (as of about the time W2k came out) stated that tooltips only
worked
> for lists in ICON mode -- which is a blatant falsity since it also works
for
> the primary column in REPORT mode.  The newest MSDN claims that it works
in
> report mode too if "all columns select" is turned on.  Maybe it does work
for
> all columns in XP, but it certainly doesn't on W2K.

No, it doesn't work on XP either. Dolphin supports per-column info tip
blocks in anticipation of MS one day fixing the bug, which is that Windows
only ever asks for the info tip for column 1. Full-row select does appear to
have some affect on whether one gets an info tip at all when hovering over
one of the other columns, but that's about it. I spent some time
investigating this when introducing info tips, and could find no way around
it.

Regards

Blair