Tooltips on Presenters?

Jerome Chan
I have been looking through the code for views and presenters and I
don't really understand how to make tooltips appear on buttons,
textfields and tables. Does anyone have any sample code?

Re: Tooltips on Presenters?

Ian Bartholomew-4
Jerome,

> I have been looking through the code for views and presenters and I
> don't really understand how to make tooltips appear on buttons,
> textfields and tables.

I don't think you can.

Tooltips, in their various forms, arrived with the Windows CommonControls
(Toolbars, ListViews, TreeViews etc) and Dolphin can support tool tips for
these.

The original Windows controls (PushButtons, StaticText, ListBoxes etc) don't
have any infrastructure to allow for tip texts and, as far as I can see in
MSDN, it hasn't been added retrospectively so Dolphin can't support the
facility on these controls as it doesn't exist.

As an added bit of evidence <g>, if you look at the standard MS tools
(InternetExplorer Word) then the PushButtons that they use, in their option
dialogs for example, don't have tip text but instead have a "What's This"
context menu that pops up a tip text look-alike.  I would have thought that
if you could "tool tip" Buttons then MS would have done this rather than the
clunky feeling pop-up menu.

Ian

Re: Tooltips on Presenters?

Ingo Blank
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:9gn65r$pnv$[hidden email]...

> Jerome,
>
> > I have been looking through the code for views and presenters and I
> > don't really understand how to make tooltips appear on buttons,
> > textfields and tables.
>
> I don't think you can.
>
> Tooltips, in their various forms, arrived with the Windows CommonControls
> (Toolbars, ListViews, TreeViews etc) and Dolphin can support tool tips for
> these.
>
> The original Windows controls (PushButtons, StaticText, ListBoxes etc)
don't
> have any infrastructure to allow for tip texts and, as far as I can see in
> MSDN, it hasn't been added retrospectively so Dolphin can't support the
> facility on these controls as it doesn't exist.
>
> As an added bit of evidence <g>, if you look at the standard MS tools
> (InternetExplorer Word) then the PushButtons that they use, in their
option
> dialogs for example, don't have tip text but instead have a "What's This"
> context menu that pops up a tip text look-alike.  I would have thought
that
> if you could "tool tip" Buttons then MS would have done this rather than
the
> clunky feeling pop-up menu.
>
> Ian

Ian and Jerome,

I don't know whether I would see that that pessimistic.
The Pushbuttons in VB have a TooltipText property, though I don't know
whether they are proprietary subclassed in VB.

Never mind, looking into the MSForms2 OLE Controls, shows that these
<CommandButton>s have a <ToolTipText> property.
I think it should be possible to use them in Dolphin, wrapping them
with an AXControlSite.

Ingo

Re: Tooltips on Presenters?

Jerome Chan
In article <9gn65r$pnv$[hidden email]>,
 "Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jerome,
>
> > I have been looking through the code for views and presenters and I
> > don't really understand how to make tooltips appear on buttons,
> > textfields and tables.
>
> I don't think you can.
>
> Tooltips, in their various forms, arrived with the Windows CommonControls
> (Toolbars, ListViews, TreeViews etc) and Dolphin can support tool tips for
> these.
>
> The original Windows controls (PushButtons, StaticText, ListBoxes etc) don't
> have any infrastructure to allow for tip texts and, as far as I can see in
> MSDN, it hasn't been added retrospectively so Dolphin can't support the
> facility on these controls as it doesn't exist.
>
> As an added bit of evidence <g>, if you look at the standard MS tools
> (InternetExplorer Word) then the PushButtons that they use, in their option
> dialogs for example, don't have tip text but instead have a "What's This"
> context menu that pops up a tip text look-alike.  I would have thought that
> if you could "tool tip" Buttons then MS would have done this rather than the
> clunky feeling pop-up menu.
>
> Ian

I have VB 6 at work and you can put some tooltips on the buttons in a VB
project so I assumed its possible in Dolphin too!

Re: Tooltips on Presenters?

Bill Schwab-2
Ingo,

> Never mind, looking into the MSForms2 OLE Controls, shows that these
> <CommandButton>s have a <ToolTipText> property.
> I think it should be possible to use them in Dolphin, wrapping them
> with an AXControlSite.

Very true, but, I think that a more direct approach would be better; (unless
there's a reason it can't be done) it would be cleaner to subclass controls
and to add a cloned ToolTip behavior in Dolphin.  My PaneHolders package has
a sample that does a _very_ crude job of this kind of thing.  Look at the
sample that builds a scrolled list of number presenters; size the view to
give the scroll bar something to do and then drag the marker.

To put my thoughts on this in context, keep in mind that I tend to steer
away from increased dependence on MS whenever possible due to concerns over
stability/support and performance.  Regardless of the bias I might bring to
this issue, native widgets are not always the best way to go.  Any GUI with
>100 controls (to pull a number out of the air) is likely to bog down in a
big way if everything is native.  Given how easy it is to exceed that limit,
I think we need a good emulated control package for Dolphin, and maybe this
is a place to start.

Have a good one,

Bill

--