Tooltips with text callbacks

Udo Schneider
Andy, Blair,

while porting my treemap package which used my own home grown tooltips
package I discovered that D6 allready includes most of the stuff I needed.

I found Tooltip>>registerView: whose intention seems to be to register a
view with the tooltip for text callbacks (it's the only method in the
systems which sends #textCallback).

However my first attempte where not successfull. The first I hit was
Tooltip>>registerView which does not set TTF_SUBCLASS. AFAIK this is
needed for implementing text callbacks.

The second is just a "visual" thing: TTF_CENTERTIP is used which does
not make real sense in this context.

So if you change the source to the following everything works:
registerView: aView
        self ttmAddTool: ((TOOLINFOA new)
                                uFlags: ##(TTF_IDISHWND | TTF_SUBCLASS);
                                textCallback;
                                hwnd: aView asParameter;
                                uId: aView asParameter;
                                yourself)

I attached a sample class which demonstrates the use of callback
tooltips. I decided to implement #onTipDetailsRequired: on the presenter
side altough this can also be implemented on the View side (as I did for
treemaps).

As this is an RFE ... should I enter it into the bug database?

Regards,

Udo

"Filed out from Dolphin Smalltalk X6"!

Shell subclass: #TooltipShell
        instanceVariableNames: ''
        classVariableNames: ''
        poolDictionaries: ''
        classInstanceVariableNames: ''!
TooltipShell guid: (GUID fromString: '{DE62466C-9142-4CF0-B72A-341AAD10661C}')!
TooltipShell comment: ''!
!TooltipShell categoriesForClass!MVP-Presenters! !
!TooltipShell methodsFor!

onTipDetailsRequired: aNMTTDISPINFOA
        aNMTTDISPINFOA text: self view cursorPosition displayString.
        ^0!

onViewOpened
        self view toolTipWindow: ((Tooltip new)
                                isBalloon: true;
                                create;
                                registerView: self view;
                                yourself).
        super onViewOpened! !
!TooltipShell categoriesFor: #onTipDetailsRequired:!public! !
!TooltipShell categoriesFor: #onViewOpened!public! !

Re: Tooltips with text callbacks

Andy Bower-3
Udo,

> while porting my treemap package which used my own home grown
> tooltips package I discovered that D6 allready includes most of the
> stuff I needed.
>
> I found Tooltip>>registerView: whose intention seems to be to
> register a view with the tooltip for text callbacks (it's the only
> method in the systems which sends #textCallback).
>
> However my first attempte where not successfull. The first I hit was
> Tooltip>>registerView which does not set TTF_SUBCLASS. AFAIK this is
> needed for implementing text callbacks.
>
> The second is just a "visual" thing: TTF_CENTERTIP is used which does
> not make real sense in this context.
>
> So if you change the source to the following everything works:
> registerView: aView
> self ttmAddTool: ((TOOLINFOA new)
> uFlags: ##(TTF_IDISHWND | TTF_SUBCLASS);
> textCallback;
> hwnd: aView asParameter;
> uId: aView asParameter;
> yourself)
>
> I attached a sample class which demonstrates the use of callback
> tooltips. I decided to implement #onTipDetailsRequired: on the
> presenter side altough this can also be implemented on the View side
> (as I did for treemaps).
>
> As this is an RFE ... should I enter it into the bug database?

Yes. Mark it as an enhancement request.

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Andy Bower wrote:
>>As this is an RFE ... should I enter it into the bug database?
> Yes. Mark it as an enhancement request.
Done

CU,

Udo