Total allocation count?

Joshua Gargus-2
I'm looking for a way to find the total number of objects allocated
since the VM started (or since the number was reset).  As far as I
can tell, the stock VMs don't include this.  Has anyone written a
patch for Interpreter that enables this?  I seem to recall hearing
about VMs with extra profiling information built in, but couldn't
find it.

Also, is there a way to temporarily turn GC off?

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Total allocation count?

Andreas.Raab
> Also, is there a way to temporarily turn GC off?

Yup. Set allocationsBetweenGCs to some huge value.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Total allocation count?

johnmci
turn GC off, you should look at my instrumented GC VM work and the
change set that lets you look at the GC numbers on each GC.

To turn GC off you could make new space very large, and set the
object allocation limit very high and the new space gc boundaries
high, then it will allocate objects and do
no GC work until you run out of memory.

You can get signalled on each IGC so you could collect the object
allocation count at that time.

On 23-Feb-06, at 12:40 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to find the total number of objects allocated
> since the VM started (or since the number was reset).  As far as I
> can tell, the stock VMs don't include this.  Has anyone written a
> patch for Interpreter that enables this?  I seem to recall hearing
> about VMs with extra profiling information built in, but couldn't
> find it.
>
> Also, is there a way to temporarily turn GC off?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===