Totally confused :/

Clemens Eisserer
Hi,

For quite a few hours I am now playing arround with gnu-smalltalk and
can't get it working.
First I downloaded git, but there gst-browser seems to be broken as
changes to classes aren't rembered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkK0aEoQucY
Then I downloaded gnu-smalltalk-3.2.2, however when starting
gst-browser I get "message not understood" errors for almost every
action I trigger.

I also experimented arround with various VisualGST versions, but that
didn't succeed either.

I am quite confused, why is gst-browser included in gnu-smalltalk? I
thought it is part of VisualGST, which can be seperatly downloaded.
Is there an all-in-one package wich contains gnu-smalltalk along with
gtk bindings and gst-browser which is known to work together?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Re: Totally confused :/

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/18/2010 07:43 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> For quite a few hours I am now playing arround with gnu-smalltalk
> and can't get it working. First I downloaded git, but there
> gst-browser seems to be broken as changes to classes aren't
> rembered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkK0aEoQucY

Thanks, I or Gwen will try to fix this.

> I also experimented arround with various VisualGST versions, but
> that didn't succeed either.
>
> I am quite confused, why is gst-browser included in gnu-smalltalk?

The reason is that gst-browser is best distributed as part of gst, so it
would be weird to include the executable but not the browser.  However,
I must admit so far my communication with Gwen on the stability of
VisualGST hasn't always been the best.  I'm very sorry about that.

> I thought it is part of VisualGST, which can be seperatly
> downloaded. Is there an all-in-one package wich contains
> gnu-smalltalk along with gtk bindings and gst-browser which is known
> to work together?

In theory the smalltalk.git would be that.

Paolo

Re: Totally confused :/

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/18/2010 07:43 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For quite a few hours I am now playing arround with gnu-smalltalk and
> can't get it working.
> First I downloaded git, but there gst-browser seems to be broken as
> changes to classes aren't rembered:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkK0aEoQucY

I cannot reproduce this with smalltalk.git's gst-browser.

My steps are:

1) start gst-browser, Object is selected.

2) replace the whole Code pane with

Object subclass: Example [
]

3) click "Accept" in the popup menu

4) click the "Classes" list box.  Search for Example by typing it on the
keybord.  The Code pane shows:

Object subclass: Example [

     <category: nil>
     <comment: nil>

]

5) I replace "Object" with "VisualGST.GtkMainWindow", and click "Accept"
again.

6) I click "Exception" in the "Classes" list box.

7) I click "Example" again, and I see:

VisualGST.GtkMainWindow subclass: Example [

     <category: nil>
     <comment: nil>

]

Could it be that you have a stale ~/.st/VisualGST.star file?

Paolo

Re: Totally confused :/

ZuLuuuuuu
Clemens Eisserer wrote
First I downloaded git, but there gst-browser seems to be broken as
changes to classes aren't rembered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkK0aEoQucY
This lead me open the topic here:

http://forum.world.st/Changing-the-namespace-of-a-class-on-VisualGST-tp2969717p2969717.html

since after creating a new namespace I "Add a class" whose super class is "Smalltalk.Object" by default and then try to change it into "Iliad.ILApplication" which was not accepted like on your video.

Oddly, I tried it a few days ago and now again and it looks like it is now working for me.
Canol Gökel

Re: Totally confused :/

Clemens Eisserer
Hi all,

> Could it be that you have a stale ~/.st/VisualGST.star file?

In order to get a "fresh" environment I completly uninstalled/removed
all files from my previous installation attemps (including ~/.st/*)
and:

- Installed smalltalk from git://git.sv.gnu.org/smalltalk.git
(autoreconf -vi; ./configure; make; make install)
- Installed VisualGST from git://github.com/MrGwen/gst-visualgst.git
(make_packages.sh)

However now I can't even add new namespaces in VisualGST, and get
errors like in the transcript at the end  of the file.

Any idea whats wrong this time?

Thanks, Clemens

 error: did not understand #push:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #push: (SysExcept.st:1407)
VisualGST.AddNamespaceUndoCommand(VisualGST.UndoCommand)>>push
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/Undo/UndoCommand.st:65)
[] in VisualGST.AddNamespaceCommand>>execute
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/Commands/AddNamespaceCommand.st:9)
[] in VisualGST.GtkEntryDialog>>hasPressedOk:
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkEntryDialog.st:35)
 error: did not understand #push:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #push: (SysExcept.st:1407)
VisualGST.AddClassUndoCommand(VisualGST.UndoCommand)>>push
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/Undo/UndoCommand.st:65)
[] in VisualGST.AddClassCommand>>execute
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/Commands/AddClassCommand.st:16)
[] in VisualGST.GtkEntryDialog>>hasPressedOk:
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkEntryDialog.st:35)
 error: did not understand #do:
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #do: (SysExcept.st:1407)
VisualGST.GtkWebBrowser(VisualGST.GtkMainWindow)>>createNewMenuEntry:
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkMainWindow.st:209)
VisualGST.GtkWebBrowser(VisualGST.GtkMainWindow)>>addMenuItem:withSubmenu:
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkMainWindow.st:190)
VisualGST.GtkWebBrowser(VisualGST.GtkVisualGSTTool)>>createMenus
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkVisualGSTTool.st:227)
VisualGST.GtkWebBrowser(VisualGST.GtkMainWindow)>>initialize
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkMainWindow.st:136)
VisualGST.GtkWebBrowser class(VisualGST.GtkMainWindow
class)>>openSized: (VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkMainWindow.st:19)
VisualGST.GtkWebBrowser class>>openOn:
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkWebBrowser.st:8)
VisualGST.GtkLauncher(VisualGST.GtkVisualGSTTool)>>helpContents
(VisualGST.star#VFS.ZipFile/GtkVisualGSTTool.st:209)
 error: did not understand #clearTranscriptWidget
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>signal (ExcHandling.st:254)
VisualGST.GtkLauncher(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
#clearTranscriptWidget (SysExcept.st:1407)

Re: Totally confused :/

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/18/2010 08:13 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> - Installed VisualGST from git://github.com/MrGwen/gst-visualgst.git
> (make_packages.sh)

Just use the VisualGST from Smalltalk git, it has a few bugfixes that
Gwen still has to pull.

Paolo