Touch Interface thoughts

Steve Thomas
How will we handle multi-touch in Etoys?

1) Multiple Mice:
When you touch the screen with multiple fingers you get "many mice"  So, how can I get the mouseX and mouseY for each "mouse"?  Thinking about this for my version of Slice it. So I can imagine one way would be a collection of mice, one could iterate through.

2) No Mouse Fat Fingers problem:
A while back I had a conversation with an expert (some 17 or 18 year old kid who had built a Theremin remote control for his TV) and the idea came to me, I asked him about the power consumption, costs and if there were any interference issues and from the discussion it would seem this may be doable within XO-3 constraints.  It would operate similar to the Bamboo Fun tablet which detects the stylus when it hovers over the tablet and you can move the mouse without touching the tablet, then it clicks when you touch the tablet.

One issues I can foresee would be when you "hover" your finger over the screen if the mouse pointer is right under your finger, it would block the view of the pointer, so you would have to position the pointer "above" the finger.  But then when you touch you are not "clicking" where you touch.

Of course part of my problem my be I am thinking like a mouse ;)

Stephen

Re: Touch Interface thoughts

Harness, Kathleen
Hi Steve,
I am glad to see this topic being discussed!

With so many tablets coming out and so many people expecting to be able to touch their screens it seems like we really need to figure out how to add touch features to Etoys. It is will appeal to children's enthusiasm for touching the things they are curious about.

Last year in Wilmington Bert had a start on an adaptation for the iPad. I know he was not satisfied that he had solved all the problems. Did you try it? I didn't try it but Avigail did and liked the idea.

One of the problem areas for young users of Etoys is the size of the little green arrows, up,down, add functions etc. They are small and even though they get larger under the cursor they do present difficulties that will just be made worse if fingertips are at work. I have wondered if it would be a good idea to have sets of tiles be enlarged when the cursor is any place inside that area. If the cursor moved to another category of tiles, the first category would shrink back to the size it is now and the new area would increase to the larger size.

This spring my students made Catch as Catch Can games and some of them included scripted magnifiers and round glass mags.Magnifiers make things under the cursor very readable and I think they would be large enough to be touched with a fingertip.

The description of the Bamboo hover/click sounds interesting.

I wish I could be more help to the developers; but so far the best help I can provide is to avoid asking for new features. The core developers team does an amazing job of moving ideas forward for releases. Thanks to everyone!
Regards,
Kathleen

>   How will we handle multi-touch in Etoys?
>   1) Multiple Mice:
>
>     When you touch the screen with multiple fingers
>     you get "many mice"  So, how can I get the mouseX
>     and mouseY for each "mouse"?  Thinking about this
>     for my version of Slice it. So I can imagine one
>     way would be a collection of mice, one could
>     iterate through.
>
>   2) No Mouse Fat Fingers problem:
>
>     A while back I had a conversation with an expert
>     (some 17 or 18 year old kid who had built a
>     Theremin remote control for his TV) and the idea
>     came to me, I asked him about the power
>     consumption, costs and if there were any
>     interference issues and from the discussion it
>     would seem this may be doable within XO-3
>     constraints.  It would operate similar to the
>     Bamboo Fun tablet which detects the stylus when it
>     hovers over the tablet and you can move the mouse
>     without touching the tablet, then it clicks when
>     you touch the tablet.
>     One issues I can foresee would be when you
>     "hover" your finger over the screen if the mouse
>     pointer is right under your finger, it would block
>     the view of the pointer, so you would have to
>     position the pointer "above" the finger.  But
>     then when you touch you are not "clicking" where
>     you touch.
>
>   Of course part of my problem my be I am thinking
>   like a mouse ;)
>   Stephen

Re: Touch Interface thoughts

Bert Freudenberg
On 24.06.2011, at 10:01, Steve Thomas wrote:

> How will we handle multi-touch in Etoys?

Yay! Someone else is thinking about this :)

> 1) Multiple Mice:
> When you touch the screen with multiple fingers you get "many mice"

"Multiple hands", we call it in Squeak. I re-purposed the existing multi-user support to support more than one finger for a single user. Now the terminology is not quite right anymore, but it was TSTTCPW.

>  So, how can I get the mouseX and mouseY for each "mouse"?  Thinking about this for my version of Slice it.

I think the best use for multi-touch is to bring up the halo. Single-finger touch would be like clicking the primary mouse button today. When tapping with two fingers, the halo would activate. Not only that, but if you then rotate the fingers or pinch/spread them, it would turn and resize the object. I guess the halo should only be invoked if the two fingers tap at the same time, and close to each other. Otherwise you would just get two separate tap events to manipulate multiple objects (like I showed in my youtube video).

Now, we might add an option to disable that halo behavior inside a playfield. Enabling it would give you all the touch events.

> So I can imagine one way would be a collection of mice, one could iterate through.

Iterating isn't well-supported in Etoys. How exactly would you imagine this might work?

A very simple interface would be having a "number of fingers" read out, and "finger 1 x", "finger 1 y", "finger 2 x", "finger 2 y" accessors. Or, maybe have a "second finger down" script trigger. I admit I have not thought much about this yet.

> 2) No Mouse Fat Fingers problem:
> A while back I had a conversation with an expert (some 17 or 18 year old kid who had built a Theremin remote control for his TV) and the idea came to me, I asked him about the power consumption, costs and if there were any interference issues and from the discussion it would seem this may be doable within XO-3 constraints.  It would operate similar to the Bamboo Fun tablet which detects the stylus when it hovers over the tablet and you can move the mouse without touching the tablet, then it clicks when you touch the tablet.
>
> One issues I can foresee would be when you "hover" your finger over the screen if the mouse pointer is right under your finger, it would block the view of the pointer, so you would have to position the pointer "above" the finger.  But then when you touch you are not "clicking" where you touch.
>
> Of course part of my problem my be I am thinking like a mouse ;)

Very few touch screen technologies support "hovering", so I'd rather not rely on that. And, no real touch interface I know even has a visible mouse pointer.

The cheapest touch screens aren't even multi-touch, but offer only a single touch point. It may be a good idea to design for that.

Btw, if you have an iPad, send me your UDID so I can compile a version of Etoys that you can try. Or, if you have jailbroken yours, just install the ipa from

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/

Also, not sure if anyone tried my Etoys-To-Go that mimics a touch interface using a huge mouse pointer:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip

- Bert -

Re: Touch Interface thoughts

Derek O'Connell-3
On 24/06/11 09:01, Steve Thomas wrote:
> How will we handle multi-touch in Etoys?

FYI: there's "touch", then 2-point fake-ish "multi-touch", then true
"multi-point" multi-touch. Resistive touch screens are (typical) single
touch although 2-point touch can be faked (a useful technique is looking
for jump from left/right to middle corresponding to pressing one finger
then another on opposite side of the screen). A surprising number of
capacitive screens are fake-ish 2-point and shows their limitations in
test sw that displays the actual touch points, which jump about under
certain conditions. True (imo) multi-touch can cope with more than two
fingers, number varies, I have one device with 10-point multi-touch.

> 2) No Mouse Fat Fingers problem:

Two problems: the area in pixels under direct contact with the
finger/thumb, which varies depending on resolution and physical screen
size and the almost unavoidable roll of the finger/thumb as it comes
into contact with the surface. The former complicates how to compensate
for small controls (eg, buttons, and assuming UI not scaled-up
massively). Multi-sampling around the touch point for nearest/top-most
morph helps. The roll-problem results in a small movement which when
measured in pixels could be large and may require implementing some
dead-band to overcome (possibly reducing the effective resolution for
touch).

-D

Re: Touch Interface thoughts

Bert Freudenberg
If we had the luxury of starting over, we might make a UI much better suited for touch. E.g. I like the UI ideas in this paper:

        http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4257

(try this URL to download touch11submit.pdf if the above does not work)

        http://tinyurl.com/64y98hk

I think we still could get to a reasonably good solution without such radical changes.

- Bert -

On 24.06.2011, at 14:31, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> I am glad to see this topic being discussed!
>
> With so many tablets coming out and so many people expecting to be able to touch their screens it seems like we really need to figure out how to add touch features to Etoys. It is will appeal to children's enthusiasm for touching the things they are curious about.
>
> Last year in Wilmington Bert had a start on an adaptation for the iPad. I know he was not satisfied that he had solved all the problems. Did you try it? I didn't try it but Avigail did and liked the idea.
>
> One of the problem areas for young users of Etoys is the size of the little green arrows, up,down, add functions etc. They are small and even though they get larger under the cursor they do present difficulties that will just be made worse if fingertips are at work. I have wondered if it would be a good idea to have sets of tiles be enlarged when the cursor is any place inside that area. If the cursor moved to another category of tiles, the first category would shrink back to the size it is now and the new area would increase to the larger size.
>
> This spring my students made Catch as Catch Can games and some of them included scripted magnifiers and round glass mags.Magnifiers make things under the cursor very readable and I think they would be large enough to be touched with a fingertip.
>
> The description of the Bamboo hover/click sounds interesting.
>
> I wish I could be more help to the developers; but so far the best help I can provide is to avoid asking for new features. The core developers team does an amazing job of moving ideas forward for releases. Thanks to everyone!
> Regards,
> Kathleen

Karl Ramberg
This is a little similar to the microsoft  xbox 360 environment ?

Also: Some new touch  pads will have touch sensitive backsides to avoid obsructing fingers.

Some kind of zooming of the interface sounds like a option for working with touch interface. Screen realestate will more important to manage. Etoys can get messy fast with several scripts.

Karl

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
If we had the luxury of starting over, we might make a UI much better suited for touch. E.g. I like the UI ideas in this paper:

       http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4257

(try this URL to download touch11submit.pdf if the above does not work)

       http://tinyurl.com/64y98hk

I think we still could get to a reasonably good solution without such radical changes.

- Bert -

On 24.06.2011, at 14:31, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
> I am glad to see this topic being discussed!
>
> With so many tablets coming out and so many people expecting to be able to touch their screens it seems like we really need to figure out how to add touch features to Etoys. It is will appeal to children's enthusiasm for touching the things they are curious about.
>
> Last year in Wilmington Bert had a start on an adaptation for the iPad. I know he was not satisfied that he had solved all the problems. Did you try it? I didn't try it but Avigail did and liked the idea.
>
> One of the problem areas for young users of Etoys is the size of the little green arrows, up,down, add functions etc. They are small and even though they get larger under the cursor they do present difficulties that will just be made worse if fingertips are at work. I have wondered if it would be a good idea to have sets of tiles be enlarged when the cursor is any place inside that area. If the cursor moved to another category of tiles, the first category would shrink back to the size it is now and the new area would increase to the larger size.
>
> This spring my students made Catch as Catch Can games and some of them included scripted magnifiers and round glass mags.Magnifiers make things under the cursor very readable and I think they would be large enough to be touched with a fingertip.
>
> The description of the Bamboo hover/click sounds interesting.
>
> I wish I could be more help to the developers; but so far the best help I can provide is to avoid asking for new features. The core developers team does an amazing job of moving ideas forward for releases. Thanks to everyone!
> Regards,
> Kathleen

Yes, in the paper they say it was "heavily inspired by Kodu".

Btw, I just made a new build of the iPad app (the old one expired, I had to renew my developer license first):

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/ipad/

Also wrote a little explanation there. Installation has become a lot easier, plus you can even change your image for experimenting.

- Bert -

On 25.06.2011, at 00:09, karl ramberg wrote:

> This is a little similar to the microsoft  xbox 360 environment ?
>
> Also: Some new touch  pads will have touch sensitive backsides to avoid obsructing fingers.
>
> Some kind of zooming of the interface sounds like a option for working with touch interface. Screen realestate will more important to manage. Etoys can get messy fast with several scripts.
>
> Karl
>

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If we had the luxury of starting over, we might make a UI much better suited for touch. E.g. I like the UI ideas in this paper:
>>
>>        http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4257
>>
>> (try this URL to download touch11submit.pdf if the above does not work)
>>
>>        http://tinyurl.com/64y98hk
>>
>> I think we still could get to a reasonably good solution without such radical changes.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>
>> On 24.06.2011, at 14:31, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Steve,
>> > I am glad to see this topic being discussed!
>> >
>> > With so many tablets coming out and so many people expecting to be able to touch their screens it seems like we really need to figure out how to add touch features to Etoys. It is will appeal to children's enthusiasm for touching the things they are curious about.
>> >
>> > Last year in Wilmington Bert had a start on an adaptation for the iPad. I know he was not satisfied that he had solved all the problems. Did you try it? I didn't try it but Avigail did and liked the idea.
>> >
>> > One of the problem areas for young users of Etoys is the size of the little green arrows, up,down, add functions etc. They are small and even though they get larger under the cursor they do present difficulties that will just be made worse if fingertips are at work. I have wondered if it would be a good idea to have sets of tiles be enlarged when the cursor is any place inside that area. If the cursor moved to another category of tiles, the first category would shrink back to the size it is now and the new area would increase to the larger size.
>> >
>> > This spring my students made Catch as Catch Can games and some of them included scripted magnifiers and round glass mags.Magnifiers make things under the cursor very readable and I think they would be large enough to be touched with a fingertip.
>> >
>> > The description of the Bamboo hover/click sounds interesting.
>> >
>> > I wish I could be more help to the developers; but so far the best help I can provide is to avoid asking for new features. The core developers team does an amazing job of moving ideas forward for releases. Thanks to everyone!
>> > Regards,
>> > Kathleen

Hi Bert,
I want to do this, I just got an iPad2 yesterday.

Thanks for the details in the link below and thanks for avoiding the jailbreak problem. Is there a way I can send money via PayPal or some other mechanism so I can share the cost?

I hope Steve Granda will have time to help me do this next week.
Regards
Kathleen

On 01.07.2011, at 02:51, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bert,
> I want to do this, I just got an iPad2 yesterday.

I need your iPad's UDID. Here is how to get it:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/ipad/UDID.html

> Thanks for the details in the link below and thanks for avoiding the jailbreak problem. Is there a way I can send money via PayPal or some other mechanism so I can share the cost?

Thanks, but don't worry. I realize the way I phrased it sounded a little bit like begging. I have rewritten that paragraph now :)

- Bert -