Tracing execution of seaside apps

Marcin Tustin

Today I was trying to trace execution of my seaside app using the processbrowser/cpuwatcher, but I couldn't see any growth in the stack. Is there a good way to do this without instrumenting the code (which is what I resorted to)?

Alternatively, is there a convenient way to remove instrumentation?

Thanks all.

Re: Tracing execution of seaside apps

Lukas Renggli
What about using the profiler from the toolbar? Why do you think the
stack grows?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Tracing execution of seaside apps

Marcin Tustin

If you mean the profiler from the right-click menu, then the answer is that it didn't show me the path of execution. If you mean something else, I don't know what that is.

As to the stack growing, I expect it to at least change, even if it doesn't grow.

No, I mean what is described here: http://seaside.st/documentation/tools

On 7/12/08, Marcin Tustin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you mean the profiler from the right-click menu, then the answer is that
> it didn't show me the path of execution. If you mean something else, I don't
> know what that is.
>
> As to the stack growing, I expect it to at least change, even if it doesn't
> grow.
>
> On 7/12/08, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What about using the profiler from the toolbar? Why do you think the
>> stack grows?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas
>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Tracing execution of seaside apps

Marcin Tustin

Oh, that's exactly what I wanted...except that what I was debugging was an infinite loop, so the page never got rendered. Does the profiler run every time (My guess is not) or does it re-run the page with the MessageTally attached? If the latter, is there a way to either switch on the profiler every time, or force page rendering in the profiler without hitting the profile link? I'm not familiar enough with seaside yet to find out how to do that on my own (especially as "browse references" option shows no references to WAProfilerToolPlugin).

Thanks so much!

On 7/12/08, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, I mean what is described here: http://seaside.st/documentation/tools

On 7/12/08, Marcin Tustin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you mean the profiler from the right-click menu, then the answer is that
> it didn't show me the path of execution. If you mean something else, I don't
> know what that is.
>
> As to the stack growing, I expect it to at least change, even if it doesn't
> grow.
>
> On 7/12/08, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What about using the profiler from the toolbar? Why do you think the
>> stack grows?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lukas
>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Tracing execution of seaside apps

Lukas Renggli
> infinite loop, so the page never got rendered. Does the profiler run every
> time (My guess is not) or does it re-run the page with the MessageTally
> attached?

The profiler runs every time a page is rendered.

> If the latter, is there a way to either switch on the profiler
> every time, or force page rendering in the profiler without hitting the
> profile link?

No, that's not possible. What you can do is to wrap the code of yours
that you want to profile into:

    MessageTally spyOn: [ ... ]

This will open a profile (within the image) every time you refresh the page.

> I'm not familiar enough with seaside yet to find out how to do
> that on my own (especially as "browse references" option shows no references
> to WAProfilerToolPlugin).

WAProfileToolPlugin is just the link in the toolbar. Seaside collects
all toolbar-plugins by iterating over the subclasses of WAToolPlugin.
That's why there is no direct reference.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Tracing execution of seaside apps

Marcin Tustin
OK, thanks very much. I've learned a few good things.