Tracking authors in Monticello

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

I just posted an experiment to the inbox to allow better tracking of
authorship in Monticello. The changes make the author *initials* derived
from the author *name* and consequently both can be used independently
in Monticello. For example, look at the last commit message:

Name: System-ar.329
Author: Andreas Raab

While the file is short and accessible, the ancestry has the full name
of the author. This should help with better understanding of authorship
without getting this incredible bloat in the file names which I really
dislike (nothing personally but working with, i.e.,
"Collections-HenrikSperreJohansen.335.mcz" in the regular Monticello
tools is difficult).

The only downside I can see is for people whose initials aren't actually
derived from their name, for example Nicoloas uses "nice" instead of "nc".

What do people think? Is this change worth it?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Tracking authors in Monticello

Ian Trudel-2
2010/5/8 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> The only downside I can see is for people whose initials aren't actually
> derived from their name, for example Nicoloas uses "nice" instead of "nc".
>
> What do people think? Is this change worth it?

I like this change because it brings clarity on authorship and makes
it easier to track changes by authors; author names that can be found
on the mailing list. Good. By the way, wouldn't it be possible to have
a preference for those who do not want to derive their initials from
their names? It does not matter much to me since I use my initials.

Ian.
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

On 5/7/2010 9:50 PM, Ian Trudel wrote:

> 2010/5/8 Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>:
>> The only downside I can see is for people whose initials aren't actually
>> derived from their name, for example Nicoloas uses "nice" instead of "nc".
>>
>> What do people think? Is this change worth it?
>
> I like this change because it brings clarity on authorship and makes
> it easier to track changes by authors; author names that can be found
> on the mailing list. Good. By the way, wouldn't it be possible to have
> a preference for those who do not want to derive their initials from
> their names? It does not matter much to me since I use my initials.

Oh, I should have mentioned that with the current implementation the
initials will only be derived if there is more than one word in the
author name. For example "Joe B. Sixpack" -> "jbs" but "joebe" ->
"joebe". In other words one can continue to use just the initials for
the author name. It's a bit of a hack, but hey...

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Tracking authors in Monticello

Bert Freudenberg
On 07.05.2010, at 22:34, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 5/7/2010 9:50 PM, Ian Trudel wrote:
>> 2010/5/8 Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>:
>>> The only downside I can see is for people whose initials aren't actually
>>> derived from their name, for example Nicoloas uses "nice" instead of "nc".
>>>
>>> What do people think? Is this change worth it?
>>
>> I like this change because it brings clarity on authorship and makes
>> it easier to track changes by authors; author names that can be found
>> on the mailing list. Good. By the way, wouldn't it be possible to have
>> a preference for those who do not want to derive their initials from
>> their names? It does not matter much to me since I use my initials.
>
> Oh, I should have mentioned that with the current implementation the initials will only be derived if there is more than one word in the author name. For example "Joe B. Sixpack" -> "jbs" but "joebe" -> "joebe". In other words one can continue to use just the initials for the author name. It's a bit of a hack, but hey...

I agree that having the full name in the history is good, but deriving the initials is not necessary for that. Squeak traditionally supports both already. E.g., when you add the preamble for a ChangeSet, the system asks for your author name. When you accept a method, only your initials are requested. I think that could work for Monticello as well.

- Bert -

Re: Tracking authors in Monticello

Douglas Brebner
On 08/05/2010 06:34, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 5/7/2010 9:50 PM, Ian Trudel wrote:
>> 2010/5/8 Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>:
>>> The only downside I can see is for people whose initials aren't
>>> actually
>>> derived from their name, for example Nicoloas uses "nice" instead of
>>> "nc".
>>>
>>> What do people think? Is this change worth it?
>>
>> I like this change because it brings clarity on authorship and makes
>> it easier to track changes by authors; author names that can be found
>> on the mailing list. Good. By the way, wouldn't it be possible to have
>> a preference for those who do not want to derive their initials from
>> their names? It does not matter much to me since I use my initials.
>
> Oh, I should have mentioned that with the current implementation the
> initials will only be derived if there is more than one word in the
> author name. For example "Joe B. Sixpack" -> "jbs" but "joebe" ->
> "joebe". In other words one can continue to use just the initials for
> the author name. It's a bit of a hack, but hey...

I hope they can be set separately for those of us whose initials collide
(I use dkb because db was already taken on squeaksource, I don't have a
middle name at all)

On 5/8/2010 1:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 07.05.2010, at 22:34, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> I like this change because it brings clarity on authorship and makes
>>> it easier to track changes by authors; author names that can be found
>>> on the mailing list. Good. By the way, wouldn't it be possible to have
>>> a preference for those who do not want to derive their initials from
>>> their names? It does not matter much to me since I use my initials.
>>
>> Oh, I should have mentioned that with the current implementation the initials will only be derived if there is more than one word in the author name. For example "Joe B. Sixpack" ->  "jbs" but "joebe" ->  "joebe". In other words one can continue to use just the initials for the author name. It's a bit of a hack, but hey...
>
> I agree that having the full name in the history is good, but deriving the initials is not necessary for that. Squeak traditionally supports both already. E.g., when you add the preamble for a ChangeSet, the system asks for your author name. When you accept a method, only your initials are requested. I think that could work for Monticello as well.

But then you'd be asking for the same information (the user identity)
twice which I don't like, with the potential for confusion when you have
to input your initials and when to input your name. Having just one
place and just one set of information seems less error-prone to me.

On 08.05.2010, at 09:56, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 5/8/2010 1:31 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Oh, I should have mentioned that with the current implementation the initials will only be derived if there is more than one word in the author name. For example "Joe B. Sixpack" ->  "jbs" but "joebe" ->  "joebe". In other words one can continue to use just the initials for the author name. It's a bit of a hack, but hey...
>>
>> I agree that having the full name in the history is good, but deriving the initials is not necessary for that. Squeak traditionally supports both already. E.g., when you add the preamble for a ChangeSet, the system asks for your author name. When you accept a method, only your initials are requested. I think that could work for Monticello as well.
>
> But then you'd be asking for the same information (the user identity) twice which I don't like, with the potential for confusion when you have to input your initials and when to input your name. Having just one place and just one set of information seems less error-prone to me.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Hasn't bothered me in the past. But here is maybe a nice interface:

Make a dialog with two fields, for author name and initials. Add a little label explaining which is used when (initials for methods, full name for packages). While you are typing the author name, you could even pre-fill the initials field. But make it editable ...

- Bert -