Traits browser

danil osipchuk
Hi, all

Which browser one should use with traits implementation found in current
3.9beta? Default tools in 3.9 don't look as handy as those described in
white-papers (in this one for example:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototype.htm
). May be there are some preferences to enable or package for download?

Best regards,
    Danil

Re: Traits browser

Philippe Marschall
OmniBrowser aka "Image Browser". But it has still some rough edges
when it comes to traits and is not close to the described tools.

Philippe

2006/6/4, danil osipchuk <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, all
>
> Which browser one should use with traits implementation found in current
> 3.9beta? Default tools in 3.9 don't look as handy as those described in
> white-papers (in this one for example:
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototype.htm
> ). May be there are some preferences to enable or package for download?
>
> Best regards,
>     Danil

Re: Traits browser

Adrian Lienhard
Daniel Vainsencher and Tom Koenig worked on a new Traits browser
based on OmniBrowser (and also one that integrated the requires
algorithm by Nathanael). See http://squeaksource.com/
TraitsOmniBrowser.html

Adrian

On Jun 4, 2006, at 17:39 , Philippe Marschall wrote:

> OmniBrowser aka "Image Browser". But it has still some rough edges
> when it comes to traits and is not close to the described tools.
>
> Philippe
>
> 2006/6/4, danil osipchuk <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> Which browser one should use with traits implementation found in
>> current
>> 3.9beta? Default tools in 3.9 don't look as handy as those
>> described in
>> white-papers (in this one for example:
>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/
>> traitsPrototype.htm
>> ). May be there are some preferences to enable or package for
>> download?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>     Danil

Re: Traits browser

Daniel Vainsencher-2
Yes, the new tools are indeed not as complete as those that existed in
the prototype, but they do include the hardest features to implement.
What does exist shows how to extend the Omnibrowser in the right
direction, and the OB is a pleasure to extend, once you get into it.

Daniel

Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Daniel Vainsencher and Tom Koenig worked on a new Traits browser based
> on OmniBrowser (and also one that integrated the requires algorithm by
> Nathanael). See http://squeaksource.com/TraitsOmniBrowser.html
>
> Adrian
>
> On Jun 4, 2006, at 17:39 , Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>> OmniBrowser aka "Image Browser". But it has still some rough edges
>> when it comes to traits and is not close to the described tools.
>>
>> Philippe
>>
>> 2006/6/4, danil osipchuk <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi, all
>>>
>>> Which browser one should use with traits implementation found in
>>> current
>>> 3.9beta? Default tools in 3.9 don't look as handy as those described in
>>> white-papers (in this one for example:
>>> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototype.htm
>>> ). May be there are some preferences to enable or package for download?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>     Danil

Re: Traits browser

stéphane ducasse-2
Daniel
could we use your code as an example in the OB paper we are writing?
Does it load in latest 3.9

Stef

On 4 juin 06, at 23:36, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Yes, the new tools are indeed not as complete as those that existed
> in the prototype, but they do include the hardest features to
> implement. What does exist shows how to extend the Omnibrowser in
> the right direction, and the OB is a pleasure to extend, once you
> get into it.
>
> Daniel
>
> Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>> Daniel Vainsencher and Tom Koenig worked on a new Traits browser
>> based on OmniBrowser (and also one that integrated the requires
>> algorithm by Nathanael). See http://squeaksource.com/
>> TraitsOmniBrowser.html
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Jun 4, 2006, at 17:39 , Philippe Marschall wrote:
>>
>>> OmniBrowser aka "Image Browser". But it has still some rough edges
>>> when it comes to traits and is not close to the described tools.
>>>
>>> Philippe

Traits Browser Availablity

Thomas Koenig-2
In 3.9b 7033, using Monticello browser, from the
http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/  repository, load OB-Tests-Core-cwp.1.mcz
(This will allow you to run the associated s-unit tests for OmniBrowser and
is a prereq to run the tests for Trait Structure Browser)

And from the http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/TraitsOmniBrowser  repository, load
TraitsOmniBrowser-tlk.38.mcz

If you select and run OB-Tests-Core and TraitsOmniBrowser-Test test in
TestRunner, it should run 173 tests with 165 passing. The 3 failures and 5
errors appear in OB-Tests-Core w/o the Trait Structure Browser changes.  If
you get different results then I've probably failed to classify some
overridden method a *TraitsOmniBrowser.

In a work space, do
OBTraitStructureBrowser open

To see the difference between this browser and the default SystemBrowser, do
a find on Behavior, and explore the treatment of trait compositions and the
virtual method categories.

OBTraitStructureBrowser seems to be working as far as it goes.  We still
need to add a fair bit of functionality from Browser (e.g. you can't do a
find on a Trait) and the Traits Browser as described in the papers (e.g, no
easy way to change a method in the trait versus in the using class).  This
version is probably worth others trying.  The latest version is mine, but of
course Adrian and Daniel have done all the heavy lifting.

Re: Traits Browser Availablity

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Thomas,

Great, thanks for the update!

Here some remarks:
- To be able to load your version I first had to load Monticello-al.
300 from squeaksource.com/Traits (this version is fixing a MC bug
related to loading traits and is not yet in the image).
- In the tests I have 4 failures, the additional one to yours
probably is PureBehaviorTraitTest>>testTraitSelfSentSelectors.
- A long time ago I changed OBMethodNode>>name to print a < character
in front of the name for non-local methods just as a quick way to get
some visual feedback. I think this is not needed anymore since you
provide this information with the colors.
- In the image I loaded the new browser, I experience that it
sometimes does not react to user input for a couple of seconds.
- Please note that http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/ is deprecated and
instead http://squeaksource.com/ should be used.

Adrian

On Jun 19, 2006, at 03:54 , Thomas Koenig wrote:

> In 3.9b 7033, using Monticello browser, from the
> http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/  repository, load OB-Tests-Core-
> cwp.1.mcz
> (This will allow you to run the associated s-unit tests for
> OmniBrowser and
> is a prereq to run the tests for Trait Structure Browser)
>
> And from the http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/TraitsOmniBrowser
> repository, load
> TraitsOmniBrowser-tlk.38.mcz
>
> If you select and run OB-Tests-Core and TraitsOmniBrowser-Test test in
> TestRunner, it should run 173 tests with 165 passing. The 3
> failures and 5
> errors appear in OB-Tests-Core w/o the Trait Structure Browser
> changes.  If
> you get different results then I've probably failed to classify some
> overridden method a *TraitsOmniBrowser.
>
> In a work space, do
> OBTraitStructureBrowser open
>
> To see the difference between this browser and the default
> SystemBrowser, do
> a find on Behavior, and explore the treatment of trait compositions
> and the
> virtual method categories.
>
> OBTraitStructureBrowser seems to be working as far as it goes.  We
> still
> need to add a fair bit of functionality from Browser (e.g. you
> can't do a
> find on a Trait) and the Traits Browser as described in the papers
> (e.g, no
> easy way to change a method in the trait versus in the using
> class).  This
> version is probably worth others trying.  The latest version is
> mine, but of
> course Adrian and Daniel have done all the heavy lifting.

This is really cool.

I get
126 run, 118 passes, 0 expected failures, 3 failures, 5 errors, 0
unexpected passes

One thing I'd really like to see is a way to find all the places where
a trait is used. A simple popup of a broser like 'browse references'
would already be enough.

Cheers
Philippe

2006/6/19, Thomas Koenig <[hidden email]>:

> In 3.9b 7033, using Monticello browser, from the
> http://monticello.wiresong.ca/ob/  repository, load OB-Tests-Core-cwp.1.mcz
> (This will allow you to run the associated s-unit tests for OmniBrowser and
> is a prereq to run the tests for Trait Structure Browser)
>
> And from the http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/TraitsOmniBrowser  repository, load
> TraitsOmniBrowser-tlk.38.mcz
>
> If you select and run OB-Tests-Core and TraitsOmniBrowser-Test test in
> TestRunner, it should run 173 tests with 165 passing. The 3 failures and 5
> errors appear in OB-Tests-Core w/o the Trait Structure Browser changes.  If
> you get different results then I've probably failed to classify some
> overridden method a *TraitsOmniBrowser.
>
> In a work space, do
> OBTraitStructureBrowser open
>
> To see the difference between this browser and the default SystemBrowser, do
> a find on Behavior, and explore the treatment of trait compositions and the
> virtual method categories.
>
> OBTraitStructureBrowser seems to be working as far as it goes.  We still
> need to add a fair bit of functionality from Browser (e.g. you can't do a
> find on a Trait) and the Traits Browser as described in the papers (e.g, no
> easy way to change a method in the trait versus in the using class).  This
> version is probably worth others trying.  The latest version is mine, but of
> course Adrian and Daniel have done all the heavy lifting.

I have this too, for me the cause is 100% CPU usage.

Cheers
Philippe

RE: Traits Browser Availablity

Thomas Koenig-2
Thanks, I follow up on these points.  I too have noted the slow response at
times and will look at that too

Re test count: Just went back to replicate and itlooks like I must have had
some other test category selected when I was testing.
Re trait used by, good idea.  I'll put that on the to-do list.