Transcript on top when saving the image

garduino
I see this behavior in the latest versions..... to my is..... annoying :)

May exist some motivation that I'm not be able to understand ?

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino

Re: Transcript on top when saving the image

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Germán,

Yes, it is annoying. Apologies. I'll remove it.

In any case, let me tell what is it about.

I'd like to be able to bootstrap Cuis from sources. This means that the
source code, and not the image, could become the main Cuis artifact. I
hope this could make it easy to produce equivalent Cuis images in
several flavors: Closures32Bit, Closures64Bit, Spur32Bit, Spur64Bit. I
haven't really done anything about this yet, but recently Edgar (on the
SqueakRos Spanish Smalltalk list) made me aware of Guille Polito's Oz,
Hazelnut, Onion for Pharo. It seems a lot of what I need is already done!

So, for some weeks I've been working a bit on making Cuis easier to
bootstrap. I've been reducing the amount of "live" objects that need to
be saved when saving the image. That list in the transcript shows
non-nil classVars and instClassVars. Before that, Processes and Globals.
NotNil classVars at image save were halved. More interesting is
Processes. There are usually several running processes in Cuis. Now, for
image save, all of them are terminated, and a single new process is
forked, to be used only for image save and startup.

As a side effect of these changes, image size went down from 7.6MB to 6MB!

Anyway, when there is not a single object (Besides Classes and Methods)
that can not be re-created at startup, then that image can be
bootstrapped from sources.

So, that info on the Transcript shows the current state of this effort.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/1/2015 2:12 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
> I see this behavior in the latest versions..... to my is..... annoying :)
>
> May exist some motivation that I'm not be able to understand ?
>

> --
> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino

Re: Transcript on top when saving the image

garduino
Hi Juan!

BTW I should have wrote "me" and not "my" in my mail.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, this topic about the startup of the image is really interesting.

If the transcript as is right now is useful to such goal, could be put as a preference?

Cheers.

dsg

Re: Transcript on top when saving the image

dsg
Cool!  I was wondering how spur was going to be integrated... this takes
it to another level. :)

On 5/1/2015 2:14 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Germán,
>
> Yes, it is annoying. Apologies. I'll remove it.
>
> In any case, let me tell what is it about.
>
> I'd like to be able to bootstrap Cuis from sources. This means that
> the source code, and not the image, could become the main Cuis
> artifact. I hope this could make it easy to produce equivalent Cuis
> images in several flavors: Closures32Bit, Closures64Bit, Spur32Bit,
> Spur64Bit. I haven't really done anything about this yet, but recently
> Edgar (on the SqueakRos Spanish Smalltalk list) made me aware of
> Guille Polito's Oz, Hazelnut, Onion for Pharo. It seems a lot of what
> I need is already done!
>
> So, for some weeks I've been working a bit on making Cuis easier to
> bootstrap. I've been reducing the amount of "live" objects that need
> to be saved when saving the image. That list in the transcript shows
> non-nil classVars and instClassVars. Before that, Processes and
> Globals. NotNil classVars at image save were halved. More interesting
> is Processes. There are usually several running processes in Cuis.
> Now, for image save, all of them are terminated, and a single new
> process is forked, to be used only for image save and startup.
>
> As a side effect of these changes, image size went down from 7.6MB to
> 6MB!
>
> Anyway, when there is not a single object (Besides Classes and
> Methods) that can not be re-created at startup, then that image can be
> bootstrapped from sources.
>
> So, that info on the Transcript shows the current state of this effort.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 5/1/2015 2:12 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>> I see this behavior in the latest versions..... to my is.....
>> annoying :)
>>
>> May exist some motivation that I'm not be able to understand ?
>>

>> --
>> Saludos / Regards,
>> Germán Arduino

Re: Transcript on top when saving the image

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/1/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Germán,
>
> Yes, it is annoying. Apologies. I'll remove it.
>
> In any case, let me tell what is it about.
>
> I'd like to be able to bootstrap Cuis from sources. This means that the
> source code, and not the image, could become the main Cuis artifact. I
> hope this could make it easy to produce equivalent Cuis images in
> several flavors: Closures32Bit, Closures64Bit, Spur32Bit, Spur64Bit. I
> haven't really done anything about this yet, but recently Edgar (on the
> SqueakRos Spanish Smalltalk list) made me aware of Guille Polito's Oz,
> Hazelnut, Onion for Pharo. It seems a lot of what I need is already done!

Great, could you please point me to the archive entries in that list?

--Hannes

> So, for some weeks I've been working a bit on making Cuis easier to
> bootstrap. I've been reducing the amount of "live" objects that need to
> be saved when saving the image. That list in the transcript shows
> non-nil classVars and instClassVars. Before that, Processes and Globals.
> NotNil classVars at image save were halved. More interesting is
> Processes. There are usually several running processes in Cuis. Now, for
> image save, all of them are terminated, and a single new process is
> forked, to be used only for image save and startup.
>
> As a side effect of these changes, image size went down from 7.6MB to 6MB!
>
> Anyway, when there is not a single object (Besides Classes and Methods)
> that can not be re-created at startup, then that image can be
> bootstrapped from sources.
>
> So, that info on the Transcript shows the current state of this effort.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 5/1/2015 2:12 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>> I see this behavior in the latest versions..... to my is..... annoying :)
>>
>> May exist some motivation that I'm not be able to understand ?
>>

>> --
>> Saludos / Regards,
>> Germán Arduino

Re: Transcript on top when saving the image

garduino
Hi Hannes:

On 5/1/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Germán,
>
> Yes, it is annoying. Apologies. I'll remove it.
>
> In any case, let me tell what is it about.
>
> I'd like to be able to bootstrap Cuis from sources. This means that the
> source code, and not the image, could become the main Cuis artifact. I
> hope this could make it easy to produce equivalent Cuis images in
> several flavors: Closures32Bit, Closures64Bit, Spur32Bit, Spur64Bit. I
> haven't really done anything about this yet, but recently Edgar (on the
> SqueakRos Spanish Smalltalk list) made me aware of Guille Polito's Oz,
> Hazelnut, Onion for Pharo. It seems a lot of what I need is already done!

Great, could you please point me to the archive entries in that list?

--Hannes

> So, for some weeks I've been working a bit on making Cuis easier to
> bootstrap. I've been reducing the amount of "live" objects that need to
> be saved when saving the image. That list in the transcript shows
> non-nil classVars and instClassVars. Before that, Processes and Globals.
> NotNil classVars at image save were halved. More interesting is
> Processes. There are usually several running processes in Cuis. Now, for
> image save, all of them are terminated, and a single new process is
> forked, to be used only for image save and startup.
>
> As a side effect of these changes, image size went down from 7.6MB to 6MB!
>
> Anyway, when there is not a single object (Besides Classes and Methods)
> that can not be re-created at startup, then that image can be
> bootstrapped from sources.
>
> So, that info on the Transcript shows the current state of this effort.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 5/1/2015 2:12 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>> I see this behavior in the latest versions..... to my is..... annoying :)
>>
>> May exist some motivation that I'm not be able to understand ?
>>

>> --
>> Saludos / Regards,
>> Germán Arduino

Saludos / Regards,