Transcript usage

Sophie424
How do I programatically:

- Find an existing Transcript window, or create a new one
- View it (if it was previously docked or minimized)

Thanks

Re: Transcript usage

Herbert König
Hello Sophie,

Si> How do I programatically:

Si> - Find an existing Transcript window, or create a new one

from exploring the menuItem "Open" "Transcript" in the world menu I
found that #openTranscript gets sent which is implemented as:
"Transcript open"

World's submorphs contains SystemWindows, one or more might respond
with 'Transcript' if you send it #label and return aTranscriptStream
if you send it #model

If it returns nil on #collapsedFrame it is not collapsed. As
smalltalkers always fell it necessary to provide convenience methods,
i tried #isCollapsed and it worked.

Si> - View it (if it was previously docked or minimized)

Similarly exploring an open transcript window I find that the collapse
button sends #collapsedOrExpand.

BTW I think the World inherits methods to find a particular submorph
from Morph and I'm sure Transcript offers some help on dealing with
its windows too.

Thanks for asking, I learned a bit again.

Herbert

Re: Transcript usage

Zulq Alam-2
This is probably not the best way but has worked for me...

To create a new transcript:

   t := TranscriptStream new.
   t open.

With #open you can create any number of windows on the same transcript
stream. All of these views are kept in the ivar 'dependents'. So you
could do:

   (t dependents at: 1) minimize.
   (t dependents at: 1) restore.
   (t dependents at: 1) maximize.
   t dependents do: [:e | e restore].

Note that there may be other things in the dependents collection such as
any basic inspectors you have open on the object.

The global var 'Transcript', which you probably use in your code, refers
to the instance of TranscriptStream available via the menu
World->open...transcript. So if you want to manipulate the "main"
transcript:

   Transcript dependents: [:e | e restore]

Hope this helps.

Z.

Sophie (itsme213) wrote:
> How do I programatically:
>
> - Find an existing Transcript window, or create a new one
> - View it (if it was previously docked or minimized)
>
> Thanks

Re: Transcript usage

Scott Wallace-2
On Dec 3, 2008, at 6:56 PM, Sophie (itsme213) wrote:

> How do I programatically:
>
> - Find an existing Transcript window, or create a new one
> - View it (if it was previously docked or minimized)

Hi, Sophie,

Try this:

ActiveWorld findATranscript: nil

Cheers,

   -- Scott

Re: Transcript usage

Mark Volkmann
On Dec 3, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Sophie (itsme213) wrote:

> How do I programatically:
>
> - Find an existing Transcript window, or create a new one
> - View it (if it was previously docked or minimized)

Adding to what others have already said ...

A new, labelled Transcript window can be opened from code.

ts := TranscriptStream new.
ts open. "opens window with default title of Transcript".
ts openLabel: 'My Transcript'. "opens window with custom title"
ts show: 'Hello'

Another option for displaying small amounts of output is to use "self
inform: some-string" which displays a string in a dialog.

---
Mark Volkmann

Re: Transcript usage

Sophie424